| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Ways To Use a Compressor Pedal
Casey Saulpaugh

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2021 9:43 am    

Hope everyone's doing well!

Here's an article I wrote about some different ways to use a compressor pedal for steel guitar...
https://playpedalsteel.com/pedal-steel-5-best-ways-to-use-a-compressor-pedal/

I was curious as to how many players use a compressor pedal? What do you use it for, and how do you change the settings to achieve what you're looking for?

-Casey

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2021 7:19 pm    

Can't speak for the pros because I don't get out much these days. But among my local steelplaying peers, it's probably less than 1 out of 5 players that use them regularly. Personally, I feel they rob dynamics, not enhance them...but each to his own.
Dave Hopping

Aurora, Colorado
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2021 9:07 pm    

I've tried Dyna-Comps,and couldn't get anything useful-that delightful Tele snarl sounds like distortion on steel. Had better luck with the Keeley Compressor Plus with the sustain dialed pretty far back.

What's worked best for me is an Alesis 3630 compressor-limiter. It stays transparent, but gives some extra sustain and helps my VP technique.

I need all the help I can get! Winking
George Redmon

Muskegon & Detroit Michigan.
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2021 11:11 pm    

Ah my favorite subject {besides classic tube guitar amplifiers & their builders} effect pedals. I have been using an Ohmless Yari v2 Compressor. I prefer an analog Optical compressor. I use it for sustain, pick attack, volume leveling. And sometimes i just like something different. I am a member of the small club that likes their compressior in front of their drive pedals.

Dave i had one of those old 3630's to. I loved mine, although it is a rack unit. Quiet as a mouse, and yet could squeeze to know end. Shame they Discontinued it.
Cliff Swanson

Raleigh, NC
Post  Posted 14 Dec 2021 7:05 pm    

I use a Keeley "4-knob" compressor. It's the first pedal in my signal chain and it's always on. I set it up with a soft attach and not overly squishy, just enough that if it's turned off there is "something different". I particularly like this compressor because it includes a blend control that enables mixing the raw and compressed signals in the final output and I probably change this control more than the others on the pedal.

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 15 Dec 2021 1:55 am    

That sounds like a sensible use. I guess I'm in the majority that don't bother because it's too subtle for playing live, and when recording at home I can do it later.
K Maul

Hadley, NY/Hobe Sound, FL
Post  Posted 15 Dec 2021 6:11 am    

On my Fender steel I use the Xotic SP, which has a blend control. It is first in the chain, on the Low setting, blended in 25-30% and usually on. It’s part of the Sneaky Pete sound I go for with that particular guitar. On other steels I occasionally use an Aphex Punch Factory optical compressor. It is a very subtle effect and I set the gain fairly low anyway. When I had an MXR I would set the Sensitivity low but then I stopped using it altogether. I usually save the Compressor pedal for bottleneck slide and lap steel and even then am conservative in my use.
KEVIN MAUL: Airline, Beard, Clinesmith, Donner, Evans, Excel, Fender, Fluger, Gibson, Hilton, Ibanez, Justice, K+K, Live Strings, MOYO, National, Oahu, Peterson, Quilter, Rickenbacher, Sho~Bud, Supro, TC, Ultimate, VHT, Williams, X-otic, Yamaha, ZKing.

Last edited by K Maul on 15 Dec 2021 9:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Asa Brosius

Post  Posted 15 Dec 2021 8:33 am    

I've been using a ut&t LAB pedal when tracking- for long pads, maybe with a little movement, when bottoming out the VP brings up the signal noise. Live, I use the boost pre-amp side with no comp- does nice things to a peavey.
Benjamin Davidson

Post  Posted 15 Dec 2021 10:01 am    

For steel guitar, I place a Keeley Compressor Pro at the end of the signal chain before the amp. I'm using it as an end of circuit adjustment, just like a producer or sound engineer would do in post for the most part. I want it transparent just enough engagement for the highest of peaks, but there should I make a mistake.

When practicing however, I'll make adjustments for threshold and ratio to utilize the compression meter on this pedal to evaluate how well I'm pulling back on the attack of my swells (this is accomplished with a a string of LEDs showing the compression active). Using the visual cue on the pedal, along with the sound of the amp, and the volume pedal position has been very helpful as I refine my volume pedal technique.

Muskegon & Detroit Michigan.
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2021 2:34 pm    

Casey, here are a couple very informative articles about using a compressor, and the 6 types of compressors there are. Your article is very informative as well. Cheers

https://proaudioland.com/news/compressor-pedal-can-enhance-tone/

https://reverb.com/news/what-are-the-types-of-compressor-effects-the-basics
Casey Saulpaugh

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2021 12:15 pm    

Thanks for all the responses, really neat to hear how everyone's using them (if at all) and what types...looking forward to checking out some of these units. Appreciate you sharing those articles George, enjoyed them.

Los Angeles
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2022 9:34 am    

If you have an electronic bypass/buffered bypass/whatever you want to call it, there is another way to use it.

Don't use it at all. Just have it in the signal chain.
It will end up being that "buffer" that is often discussed on this and other forums.
It won't have any effect on your peaks/dynamics, because it's technically not in the chain and is not compressing.

If you don't have an electronic bypass/buffered bypass/whatever you want to call it type pedal, and have a pedal with true bypass or hardwire bypass (there is a difference between these) switching, then as a couple of others have said, you can engage the pedal but set it for the least amount of compression.
It'll be buffering the signal but not compressing it.
Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2022 10:55 am    

I use a compressor for guitar, and especially slide guitar, and sometimes for lap/console steel. My goals there are very different than for pedal steel.

But I will sometimes use one for pedal steel if I have to be loud. I find it sometimes helps me get over a loud band - sometimes too much subtlety can get lost in a loud band mix. When playing in situations like this, they generally want the pedal steel fairly out front, and a good compressor with high input impedance also helps the presence in that situation. But I do not typically use one in a sparse, lower-volume setting - the volume pedal can be used to squeeze the volume without any extra help.

I've tried tons and tons of compressors over the last 40 years (mostly for guitar). I finally have settled on the Origin Effects Slide Rig Compact Deluxe. This is two chained FET compressors similar to the Universal Audio 1176 compressors that Lowell George used to use for slide guitar. The parallel dry and compressed signals can be mixed together in any ratio. These Origin Effects pedals are not cheap, but I've never had anything that can touch them.
Ron Shalita

California, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2022 11:06 am    

I use a keeled think it’s called a pro and it is always one…

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2022 11:54 am    

I used to be a Keeley guy, then a "no compressor" guy, now I'm using the Xotic SP (like Kevin). It is based on the classic (and revered) Ross compressor...

It has lots of adjustments possible to tailor the response curve...in addition to the knobs, there are 4 DIP switches inside the case. the manual is good at giving examples of sounds and settings.....and it has a blend to mix dry with wet.(like the newest Keeleys)

Plus it is a mini-pedal and doesn't take much space...
https://xotic.us/effects/sp-compressor/

I thought I wouldn't like the amount of compression set by a simple 3-way switch, but it really is fine....and easy to change at a gig....
Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2022 2:14 am    

Ahhh..Compressor for LIVE playing, an opposite world ! Laughing

1)compressors as we all know are used to TAME peaks for recording , we set them accordingly. They WORK and are a standard for "tracking" . The so called rule is if we can hear it folding back the signal, its too much.

2) Then one day someone plugged a guitar or Steel into a compressor pedal that had a bunch of knobs, including LEVEL. They turned a few knobs and the sound was SQUASHED , but because there was a LEVEL knob, they turned the level UP to where it was before they squashed it. Laughing Its was now an EFFECT pedal .

2A- the trick is to turn the knobs ( attack etc) until we hear a change in sound, which can be slight to dramatic, then boost the gain with the LEVEL knob. The issue to me is that its way to easy to use TOO much compression to squash the sound .

Many players use them and many of us OVERUSE them.

I happen to have a 4 knob Kelley Pedal , its very flexible. I use it ever so sparingly , as too much can kill the dynamics of the overall sound we are trying to accomplish. But a small amount can embellish our sound.

The first rule of stomp pedals applies here. IF you are not sure what the settings should be, or have no clue how to set it, don't use it, leave it home.

IF we are not practicing with STOMP PEDALS, such as Compressors, the gig is not the place to figure out what settings we like.

Many years back I went to a Pro Tools Clinic at GC, the clinic instructor couldn't make it so a Store Clerk ran the seminar. When he got to "how to use a compressor" he actually said, "These are guitar effects and for the most part almost useless". About 10 seconds later half the class( maybe 12 people) got up and walked out, me included.

A while later , I was still browsing the store, the Seminar Clerk approached me and asked why I walked out of the class . I told him that Compressors are for taming peaks for recording, they are not effects pedals for guitars. He said, "oh yeah, you can use them for that too" .

Apparently, they are effects pedals for guitars ! Laughing Shocked

BUT, Compressor Pedals are NOT Equal, not even close. The settings for the Kelley that I have are planets away from my other Compressor Pedals settings .

We need to use our ears. Very Happy Start with very minimal settings or ZERO , turn all the knobs, zero to 100 %, listen. At some point even a low budget pedal will give you a reasonable response . Take note of the settings.

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website
Bud Angelotti

Larryville, NJ, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2022 4:58 pm    

How about using a tube compressor but leave everything flat - level included - just to get the tube sound. Would that work for that purpose at least?

New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2022 5:18 pm    

I have a Keeley "4 knob" that I've never used on my steel. I think I'll try it. I use it with my Strat, but I also use it with my acoustic. The gain gives the highs a little more "bite" but levels out the bottom.