| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Can you tell me about this Weber California?
Mark Bunster

Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2021 4:23 pm    

Hi, newbie here. Taking a look at a 73 Vibrosonic Reverb with a single 15” Weber California. Looks pretty sweet; my aim is to get a nice tube amp with a single 15 and this fits the bill.
There’s a good shot of the speaker but I don’t have much else to go on, and my references all seem to show much later models. This leads me to believe it might be stock or fairly close to the production of the amp. Here’s the best shot of it, any thoughts? Ceramic? Alnico? Anyone with experience using these cones for PSGs? Thanks.

[/img]
Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2021 4:41 pm    

Ceramic Cali. Definitely not original to the amp. Much much later than the production of the amp. I have used many Cali's, 12's and 15's in various cabinets and amps including Fenders. I like this speaker a lot and consider it a very good PSG speaker. It is only rated for 75 or 85W (need to look that up on the Weber site). That 73 Vibrosonic Reverb...could be 85, 100 or 135W ('73 might be pre-ultralinear 135W).... will push it to the limit but I never blew one, driving it with my 85W Dual Showman Reverb.
Mark Bunster

Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2021 4:47 pm    

Thanks Jon! Yes I just looked it up and found the Fender PS-15 was original for a 73. I appreciate the info on it. It’s a 100W (nobody snatch this; I’m headed up to Seattle this weekend to check it out! LOL)
https://reverb.com/item/45976153-fender-vintage-1973-silverface-vibrosonic-2-channel-100-watt-1-x-15-combo-amplifier

Sounds like if it’s in good shape, it will be worth serious consideration. If I ever get it past 85w I probably deserve whatever happens to the speaker.
Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 17 Nov 2021 2:48 am    

Thats what I have been using for many years.. Good speaker for steel and 6 string...
Mine has been very reliable and was pushed very hard on stage for a very long time... To me it doesn't sound as sweet as a vintage JBL, but it doesn't blow up when pushed by a Fender 40 watt tube amps as my JBL's did several times . Still have it in a dilapidated old cab, and still play through it several times a week, using a 200 watt Peavey Musician head, and it still sounds terrific!

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......
Dan Beller-McKenna

Durham, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 17 Nov 2021 5:12 am    

Had a 15 in my LTD that I liked a lot.
Mark Bunster

Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 17 Nov 2021 4:01 pm    

Great responses, and what I was hoping to hear. Going to dive in a little deeper and see if I can find the year on that particular Cali. Thanks all. (Keep commenting don’t let me stop y’all!)