| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Do you think light weight legs sound different?
Olli Haavisto

Jarvenpaa,Finland
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2014 2:50 am    

I talked to Dan Tyack at the Dallas Show and he said that his Franklin sounds better with regular legs than the light weight aluminum ones it originally had.
I find this really interesting...
I have never had the chance to compare regular/airline legs on the same guitar and I find this interesting as I have a 2011 MSA legend with light weight legs and a Williams with regular legs.
Anyone care to share their experiences ?
Thanks!

PS. I would, of course switch the legs between my gtrs but the MSA has special legs...
Malcolm McMaster

Beith Ayrshire Scotland
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2014 4:17 am    

Olli , believe Paddy Long has said on forum he uses light weight legs on his Zum when he has flying gig, and that he found no difference in tone, perhaps if he will confirm if he is watching this thread.
MSA Millenium SD10, GK MB200, Sica 12inch cab, Joyo American Sound Pedal/ Jay Ganz Straight Ahead amp, Telonics 15inch in Peavey cab, Digitech RP150, Peterson tuner.Hilton volume pedal.Scott Dixon seat and guitar flight case.
Tom Wolverton

Carpinteria, CA
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2014 7:52 am    

I have not confirmed this myself, but several seasoned ShoBud players have mentioned there is a difference with SB's. Both in tone and KL action. Maybe it depends on the particular guitar. I suspect the more massive the cabinet, the more likely there will be a difference.

Brummy living in Southern California
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2014 9:05 am    

I imagine it does make a difference. I would think that the texture of the floor makes a difference too. A padded carpet would probably sound different from a wooden stage or a concrete-floored basement.

I've certainly found that lap steels and console steels sound different on their legs than when standing on a table, so the properties of the legs must make a difference on pedal steels too.
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2014 4:51 am    

I might expect a tiny bit of change from any added or subtracted mass in the guitar. As to whether it sounded better or worse, though, would likely just be personal preference, because we all hear things differently.

Though some changes might seem to make a big difference when we're playing, I think the acid test is to record the instrument before and after, and then see if there's an obvious difference when listening to the playback.
Phillip Ogle

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2014 4:59 am     ligth weight legs

Where do you find light weight legs. Im building a s10 on a diet, and would lik to keep it as light as I can and not loose stability.
Phillip Ogle

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2014 4:59 am     ligth weight legs

Where do you find light weight legs. Im building a s10 on a diet, and would lik to keep it as light as I can and not loose stability.
Malcolm McMaster

Beith Ayrshire Scotland
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2014 5:33 am    

Phillip, there was a company at the Dallas show selling them, think the name was Suncoast or something like that, looked to be good quality.
MSA Millenium SD10, GK MB200, Sica 12inch cab, Joyo American Sound Pedal/ Jay Ganz Straight Ahead amp, Telonics 15inch in Peavey cab, Digitech RP150, Peterson tuner.Hilton volume pedal.Scott Dixon seat and guitar flight case.
Tom Wolverton

Carpinteria, CA
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2014 5:46 am    

http://nashvillerecordings.com/guitar/steel_guitar_parts_catalogB.htm

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2014 6:25 am    

I bought a set of lightweight legs at the Dallas Show. I have to be honest and say that I can't hear any difference. I will get a couple of friends to try them out while I am in Nashville. They have made an enormous difference to the weight of my D10 in its case. I should be well under the airline's limit now.
Show Pro D10 - amber (8+6), MSA D10 Legend XL Signature - redburst (9+6), Sho-Bud Pro 111 Custom (8+6), Emmons black Push-Pull D10 (8+5), Zum D10 (8x8), Hudson pedal resonator. Telonics TCA-500, Webb 614-E,
Bill Moore

Manchester, Michigan
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2014 8:37 am    

My Justice S-10 came with aluminum legs. My Desert Rose also came with aluminum legs, though they are much heavier, with thicker walls. Both guitars sound excellent. I also have 2 sets of the Suncoast aluminum legs, which I have tried on most of the other guitars I own. The only difference I can see is the weight. I don't hear any difference in the sound. Lately, I've been using Steel legs on the Desert Rose, also Suncoast, no difference at all in the sound. I do admit to having some hearing loss, but my opinion would be that this doesn't have any significant effect on the sound of a pedal steel guitar.
Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2014 9:03 am    

Ken Byng wrote:
...lightweight legs...have made an enormous difference to the weight of my D10 in its case. I should be well under the airline's limit now.

Ken, what type of case do you use for your D10? And, when you speak of the airline's limit, is that the international limit, which is usually higher than the domestic limit (at least in the USA it is)?

I ask because I have to leave the legs and pedal rack out of the case, even with a D10 Millennium and an SKB (Wheel-EZE) case, in order to stay under the 50 lb domestic limit. Truth is, the legs are lightweight and don't add much, but the pedal rack does add enough weight to throw it over the limit. On my Franklin, the legs are standard/heavier and definitely can't go in the case without throwing it over 50 lbs. But for international flights I think the limit is 70 lbs, so everything can go in the case.
Malcolm McMaster

Beith Ayrshire Scotland
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2014 9:22 am    

Jim, my Milly is SD10 in a Scott Dixon case, it is 21.5 Kgs The weight allowance on BA international hold baggage is 23 Kgs(50lbs) On a lot of the budget UK carriers hold baggage is limited to 15 - 20kgs depending on airline.Some offer an instrument/ sports equipment rate which can go up to 32 Kgs (70lbs)but is expensive, sometimes guitar can cost more than your own airfare.Think your SKB is about same weight as my Scott Dixon.

Last edited by Malcolm McMaster on 28 Mar 2014 9:39 am; edited 2 times in total
Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2014 9:26 am    

It could be, Malcolm, though I have a D10 with 9+8, so the total weight will likely be more than your SD10. 23 Kgs = 50 lbs. You're barely squeezing by, and I can't, so that's why I have to leave the legs and pedal rack out...
Malcolm McMaster

Beith Ayrshire Scotland
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2014 9:34 am    

Jim does your D10 have carbon pedal rack ,or aluminium one?I got aluminium one when I had guitar done up at MSA, Carbon one was a lot lighter, might be worth seeing if Kyle has carbon one to change over when flying,might just sneak you in under weight.
Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2014 9:41 am    

Good suggestion, thanks.
Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2014 10:22 am    

Hi Jim
Yes I was talking international charges. I am on 49 pounds with these legs in one single Justice case.

If you must have your guitars loaded to the hilt with levers, then it certainly bumps up the weight. (Kidding)

Your MSA did sound very good at Dallas as I told you. So many tales have circulated about the tone of the MSA Millennium, and you have single handedly disproved all of them.
Laughing
Show Pro D10 - amber (8+6), MSA D10 Legend XL Signature - redburst (9+6), Sho-Bud Pro 111 Custom (8+6), Emmons black Push-Pull D10 (8+5), Zum D10 (8x8), Hudson pedal resonator. Telonics TCA-500, Webb 614-E,
John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2014 12:05 pm    

Isn't there a story about Buddy saying you could tell how good a guitar would sound by putting your hand on one of the legs? (Worked for my ex-wife)
Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2014 12:14 pm    

Buddy would strum the strings on a guitar and place his hand on the end of the pedal bar. If he could feel the vibrations he would say it was a good one. No vibrations - no good. That is what I have been told from a good source.
Ned McIntosh

New South Wales, Australia
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2014 4:41 pm    

My Williams D10 has lightweight legs (I believe these are standard on all the Willams) and there is absolutely no shortage of tone there. Smile
The steel guitar is a hard mistress. She will obsess you, bemuse and bewitch you. She will dash your hopes on what seems to be whim, only to tease you into renewing the relationship once more so she can do it to you all over again...and yet, if you somehow manage to touch her in that certain magic way, she will yield up a sound which has so much soul, raw emotion and heartfelt depth to it that she will pierce you to the very core of your being.
Darrell Owens

California, USA
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2014 6:25 pm     Lightweight legs

I just attended the TSGA JAMBOREE in Dallas. On my flight from Ca, I had to put the legs in another case to get my ZUM Hybrid SD-10 checked in under 50 Lbs, otherwise, United would have charged me $100.

So, while at the show, my friend suggested I try a set of lightweight legs (not aluminum, but lightweight something) being sold by one of the venders. When I checked in with the lightweight legs, HOORAH! It was right on 50 lbs.

There is absolutely no difference in the tone or stability of the ZUMMER!
Doug Palmer

Greensboro, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2014 6:44 pm     Legs

I saw a post on the forum where many said the legs made a difference in the tone. I don't see how they can, especially since they have rubber feet touching the floor.

Ferndale, Montana
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2014 7:09 pm     Re: Legs

Doug Palmer wrote:
I saw a post on the forum where many said the legs made a difference in the tone. I don't see how they can, especially since they have rubber feet touching the floor.

More total mass...
Dan Moslander

Central California USA
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2014 7:03 am    

Phil, go to Steel Guitar Parts.Net and you'll find what you're looking for....

don't have a gear list...I'm broke
Malcolm McMaster

Beith Ayrshire Scotland
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2014 9:39 am    

Jim, replacing the metal rack with carbon one will not work , the fitting on legs is different diameter, just remembered that I had to get mine changed when I went from carbon to metal .