https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hON0gxPpP4
2008 Highland Baritone Weissenborn
2020 Highland New Yorker.
2020 Highland Mohan Veena
2021 Highland Weissencone
John Dahms

Perkasie, Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 23 Oct 2021 7:06 pm    

In the interest of clarifying- serial numbers on early Rics are not yet fully sorted out but there are some things that can be noted about them. The Prefix A then the number was used on frying pans (the first Ric model steel). Some frying pans had B prefix numbers. B is also seen on very early Bakelite steels quickly followed by a C prefix. Most Bakelites had C numbers. The highest C number I have seen is in the C3700s. That guitar was sold with an amp that can be dated to spring 1942.
Model 100 Silver Hawaiian serial numbers have a D prefix. I have an early one from 1937 numbered D44.
E prefix numbers were used on model 59 guitars stamped from steel.Serial numbers were hand stamped one digit at a time and appear to be consecutive within each model. Post war they dropped the serial numbers.
The "Rickenbacher" headstock plate became a decal somewhere around the time of D1500 (about the time of WW2). The Mallory cap shown in the video must have been used for a period of several years as I have seen one on a model 59 with newspaper (for sound dampening) with a date of Aug. 1945 in it.
There was a post discussing the black tar-like substance found in some guitars several years back on the forum and maybe it can be searched and found.
Rick Aiello

Berryville, VA USA
Post  Posted 24 Oct 2021 4:16 am    

It's a creosote/pitch material ... don't chip any off or your house will smell like a fence ... I had to get at a jack once ... chiseled out a chunk ... put some silicone on it to act like a bandage ... ha,ha ... it's in two of my Silvers and my A25 ... Which are my best sounding Rickys
Glenn Wilde

California, USA
Post  Posted 24 Oct 2021 6:10 pm    

Rick Aiello wrote:
It's a creosote/pitch material ... don't chip any off or your house will smell like a fence ... I had to get at a jack once ... chiseled out a chunk ... put some silicone on it to act like a bandage ... ha,ha ... it's in two of my Silvers and my A25 ... Which are my best sounding Rickys

Tone Creosote, that's the secret!
Joe Cook

Lake Osoyoos, WA
Post  Posted 25 Oct 2021 5:27 am    

More importantly, why is it there in the first place? I wonder if my NS and D16 have it?