| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Pickups On Sho Bud Super Pro
Dave Morrison

Whbg Ohio Usa
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2021 3:36 pm    

I JUST PICKED UP A SUPER PRO TODAY TO DO A LITTLE WORK ON. I HOOKED THIS GUITAR UP AND IT BLEW ME AWAY THE TONE AND CLARITY IT HAD!I MEASURED THE PICKUPS AND FOUND THE E9 NECK WAS 22,000 AND THE C6 NECK WAS 12,000.THE PICKUPS LOOK TO BE STOCK. DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT THEY CAME WITH? ALL I KNOW IS IT SOUNDED KILLER AND IT'S GOT ME WONDERING IF I SHOULD TRY SOME SINGLE COILS IN MY MULLEN.IT MAY JUST BE THAT I HAD FORGOTTEN HOW GOOD THESE OLD BUDS SOUND
Nathan Laudenbach

Montana
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2021 9:48 pm    

Serial number?
David Mitchell

Tyler, Texas
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2021 12:55 pm    

deleted

Last edited by David Mitchell on 3 Sep 2021 2:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Allen Merrell

Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2021 2:51 pm    

Like Nathan said. Serial# to find out when it was built. Very possible the pickups were built by Harry Jackson in house. The reading on your C6 neck looks like possibly the tap switch or wires has a problem. My Bud has around 21k on both pickups and with tap switches on around 11 or 12k. I think Lloyd Greene uses a Bill Lawrence in his I think he mentioned that in an interview with Paul Franklin.

Whbg Ohio Usa
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2021 3:59 pm    

This guitar isn’t mine, just one I’m working on. Serial # is 14780. I don’t see a switch to split the coils. Only a neck selector and a tone pot defeat switch. Anyway it does sound great!!
Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2021 5:01 pm    

Quote:
I think Lloyd Green uses a Bill Lawrence in his

Yes Allen; Lloyd Green has a Bill Lawrence 710 in his LDG and loves it, he had it put in way back before Bill L. passed..> Since Bill passed and company taken over by others; Becky Lawrence started and builds Bill Lawrence Pickup like her and Bill used to make; and the new "Wilde Pickup" 710 even has a coil tap wire; and I just put one in my LDG and it is the BEST SOUNDING PICKUP I've ever heard in a Sho~bud!!!!!!!; and for someone that has been restoring Sho~bud for over 25 years; I have heard them ALL...and here's where Becky has them made and for sale>
https://www.wildepickups.com/products/steel-guitar
Ricky
Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2021 5:20 pm    

I had 710's that I put in the Super Pro I had in the 1980's. Awesome sound.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, Recording King Professional Dobro, NV400, NV112,Ibanez Gio guitar, Epiphone SG Special (open D slide guitar) . Playing for 54 years and still counting.
Allen Merrell

Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2021 5:30 pm    

Dave, Ricky can tell you anything about that ShoBud that you want to know. My Bud is a 1972 Professional and has 2 small switches for coil tap to tone it down some I was told that some studio equipment did not play well with the 18k + pickups so they put a tap on them to ground out some of the coils thus lowering the Z to tone them down.

Ricky- I have one of the 710's I got from Becky that I was going to put on the E9 neck but was holding off until I finish making a new set of stainless steel pull rods and stainless steel barrel adjusters. I have the springs wound and most of the barrel adjusters made. My goal is to do all the under carrege out of stainless.

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2021 7:55 pm    

Sounds like awesome work Allen good luck and you're not gunna believe the sound with that new 710 from becky, you will freak out.
Ricky
Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2021 5:04 am    

Ricky, what is the tone difference between the 705 and 710?
Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2021 7:20 am    

Larry just to know, I'm not speaking of a 710 made on the bill Lawrence website or 705 made on the bill Lawrence website. I'm only speaking of the 710 made on Becky Lawrence's website wilde pickup that I posted above that blows away anything made on the bill Lawrence website.
and then to compare that pickup Becky makes to an original 705 which you cannot find any more and haven't been made in many many years, I compare them to a very Lively single-coil pickup they're very brilliant sounding and their live sound like a single coil but they're humbuckers so there's no noise.
Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2021 7:33 am    

Ricky, thanks for that information.
John Hyland

South Australia
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2021 2:53 pm    

Ricky Davis wrote:
Quote:
I think Lloyd Green uses a Bill Lawrence in his

Yes Allen; Lloyd Green has a Bill Lawrence 710 in his LDG and loves it, he had it put in way back before Bill L. passed..> Since Bill passed and company taken over by others; Becky Lawrence started and builds Bill Lawrence Pickup like her and Bill used to make; and the new "Wilde Pickup" 710 even has a coil tap wire; and I just put one in my LDG and it is the BEST SOUNDING PICKUP I've ever heard in a Sho~bud!!!!!!!; and for someone that has been restoring Sho~bud for over 25 years; I have heard them ALL...and here's where Becky has them made and for sale>
https://www.wildepickups.com/products/steel-guitar
Ricky

Hi Ricky, My only reference point is an original Sho Bud so how does the BL710 sound compared to the original.
Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2021 4:31 pm    

Quote:
Hi Ricky, My only reference point is an original Sho Bud so how does the BL710 sound compared to the original.

Sound is much better, the highs are prettier, there's more separation tone between the low-end and high-end, the lows are big but clear sounding and there's no hum or buzzing because it's a humbucker but it sounds like a wonderfully wound by Harry Jackson original shobud pick up, but again; prettier sounding.
Ricky
John Hyland

South Australia
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2021 4:35 pm    

Ricky Davis wrote:
Quote:

Sound is much better, the highs are prettier, there's more separation tone between the low-end and high-end, the lows are big but clear sounding and there's no hum or buzzing because it's a humbucker but it sounds like a wonderfully wound by Harry Jackson original shobud pick up, but again; prettier sounding.
Ricky

Thanks - I do like the rounded highs that are still clear and fresh on the sho bud.
John Hyland

South Australia
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2021 3:32 pm    

Ricky Davis wrote:
Quote:

Ricky

Hi Ricky
My 6139 Sho Bud (yr 1975) has a string spacing at the bridge 9.5mm (3/8") but from what I have been able to gather the typical modern steel is 8.75mm (11/32” )

A small difference I know but do you know what BL710 pole spacing is?
Dave Morrison

Whbg Ohio Usa
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2021 5:03 pm    

Just for the record. I have a set of 710’s in my PRP MULLEN and they are probably the best sounding humbuckers I’ve had it it yet. And I’ve tried a bunch of em!!
Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2021 5:23 pm    

Quote:
Hi Ricky
My 6139 Sho Bud (yr 1975) has a string spacing at the bridge 9.5mm (3/8") but from what I have been able to gather the typical modern steel is 8.75mm (11/32” )

A small difference I know but do you know what BL710 pole spacing is?

John I never measured; but they are directly under each string on my LDG...so I would say the narrow mount new wilde 710s..are 3/8"; but I have NEVER heard a diff. on distance between mags....yes certianly hight of vibrating strings; but not side to side vibration distance on mags.
Ricky
John Hyland

South Australia
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2021 5:52 pm    

Becky does say they have not had any problems going into old shobuds but she couldn't tell me the pole spacing.

thanks Ricky - I just would like to be sure as Australia its a long way from LA
Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2021 7:02 pm    

Hey John no worries mate...and Becky moved the new company to Georgia.....so even further from ya than LA.
Ricky
John Hyland

South Australia
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2021 7:04 pm    

Ah Thanks
Still listed as LA on the website though
John