| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Emmons 8 string Student setup advice
Peter Knudsen

Denmark
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2021 3:30 am    

I am a lap steel player (C6) that need advice how to set up this beautiful sounding Emmons I have had in the basement far too long.

I want to play E9 and I have decided to leave out the two bass strings. My lowest string is E.

On my LKL it now raises the E's to F's.

And LKR is set up to lower E's to D#'s.

RKR have no rods assigned as of yet.

What would be a good basic setup that makes me able to play classic E9. Easy, intuitive and ergonomic acces to Minor major7 and diminshed chords. I appreciate your advice.
PS I wish I could go out and buy a 10 string pedal steel but here in Denmark they are a rare sight and it is way to expensive to import one from the US. And this Emmons sings and is a good starter for me I believe. Kind regards, Peter

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2021 3:36 am    

First, a question -- what does the 4th pedal do?
Peter Knudsen

Denmark
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2021 7:11 am    

There are no rod on the 4th pedal but maybe it could be used. Let me know if you have an idea of what to do with it. Smile
Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2021 7:17 am    

ok -- I believe that the best advice is to keep it simple. A lot of things CAN be done with a push pull (with effort and expertise) but I think you would be best off staying well within the confines of what this is -- a great sounding little 8 string push pull. Minor triads are all over the neck in multiple positions, there are full and partial M7's, dom7's, partial dim7 ... it's all there.

I suggest lowering the 2nd string D#>D on RKR and nothing more.

If the un-rodded pedal is P1, lowering both G# to G is nice, alone, and combined with the A pedal. If the un-rodded pedal is P4, it can still lower 6 & 3 but without the benefit of the A pedal combination.
Someone else may have a better pedal suggestion.
Mike DiAlesandro

Kent, Ohio
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2021 12:54 pm    

If it was me, I might be tempted to omit the top two strings of the E9th tuning, and use the RKR to lower string 10 to an A and string 9 to a C#.

That way RKR and your B pedals would give you a big full sounding A6th or A6/9 chord with the lower strings. And leave the other knees as-is.

The extra pedal might be useful to either raise your 7th string to a G, or lower your 10th and 5th strings to an A#.

Just some thoughts/suggestions. Cool