| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Anyone use the TC Electronics Flashback delay pedal?
Greg Lambert

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2021 6:09 pm    

thinking about getting one but not sure all the other stuff on the pedal would be useful.
Fred Rogan

Birmingham, AL USA
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2021 3:48 pm    

Greg I had one and sold it. None of the settings did it for me and I just found it to be uninspiring over-all. I'm back to using my 20 year old Boss delay pedal and amp reverb if that tells you anything...
Greg Lambert

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 22 Oct 2021 2:24 pm    

Fred Rogan wrote:
Greg I had one and sold it. None of the settings did it for me and I just found it to be uninspiring over-all. I'm back to using my 20 year old Boss delay pedal and amp reverb if that tells you anything...

i was wondering about that Fred. Im still using my old DD3 and RV-5. Still sound great.
Matthew Walton

Fort Worth, Texas
Post  Posted 25 Oct 2021 8:23 am    

I have a Flashback 2 and really like it. I can't say I wouldn't like the sound of any other delay better, but the huge selling point for me is the TonePrint stuff. You can send it delay profiles from your phone, but it really comes into its own when using via USB on the computer.

For example, I like the sound of the 2290 profile, but the default delay range (20 ms to 7 seconds!) is way too much for me, and as a result makes it really fiddly to dial in the delay time I want. So I hooked it up to my computer, reduced the range to maybe 200 ms to 2 seconds (don't really remember the exact range), and I think reduced the range similarly for the Feedback and Level knobs. I did it in such a way that 12:00 on Delay, Level, and Feedback are all pretty much exactly the delay sound I want. I can tweak from there, but it makes it one less thing I have to worry about when setting up. Heck, I can gently hit the sides with my foot and get everything where I want.

Lastly, by default the toggle switch selects between quarter, dotted eighth, and quarter + dotted eighth delay, but I set the bottom to be triplets, so I can pretty quickly flip on a rockabilly slapback.

If you're not using the stereo inputs, you can also set the second input to take a footswitch for tap temp and I think you could also use it for selecting quarter/something else delay. It's something I want to add eventually, but I just haven't taken the time to get or make one.

The "Mash" feature is a fun selling point, but I don't play the type of music where I can really put it to use.

If you already have a delay that you like, I'm not going to give you the hard sell on why you should use this one instead, but if you're looking for a delay pedal, I certainly don't have any qualms about recommending this one.

1981 MSA "The Universal" Bb6 S-12 9/5 | 2024 Excel Robostar Bb6 S-12 8/5 | 2009 MSA SuperSlide C6 S-12 | Peavey Nashville 112
Steve Sycamore

Sweden
Post  Posted 1 Nov 2021 2:06 am    

I recently sold a Flashback x4. It was a nice pedal but it wanted too much space on the pedal board. I then bought a Flashback 2. That one is great for tightly synched slapback echoes when building very fast and complex soloing lines.

It definitely lacks the beautiful finesses of the El Capistan and Nemesis delays when you want a very realistic vintage tape style delay. But for the solo-building capabilities above, it's excellent.
Gene Tani

Pac NW
Post  Posted 5 Nov 2021 7:13 pm    

I don't have any TC delays but I have a bunch of other TC's I use a lot, Sentry Noise gate, chorus, Spark booster, Hyper compressor, ditto looper. I think they're great for the money but I've had at least 3 foot switches fail, on the looper, that's sort of expected, you're hitting it constantly and hard, but also on a compressor and another I can't remember.
Eamonn ORegan

Ireland
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2023 10:22 am     tc Flashback mini

I find this a great little pedal, very compact, robust and versatile for steel guitar with good quality delays. I've never found it necessary to use the Toneprint facility.
Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2023 5:40 pm    

My favorite combination is MXR analog delay followed by TC Electronic Hall Of Fame (digital) with Donato download.
1976 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics 427 pickup, 1975 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics X-12 pickup, Revelation preamp, Carbon Copy Delay and Hall Of Fame Reverb, Crown XLS 1002, 2- 15" Eminence Wheelhouse speakers, ShoBud Pedal, Effects Pedals. 1949 Epiphone D-8.