| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Two LKL levers
Rick Myrland

New Orleans
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2021 6:20 pm    

My G-2 has a LKL that raises the Es like all others, but a second LKL set back and a little to the left that lowers my 2nd string from D# to D and raises the 7th string from F# to G.

What do I do with this? Not only do I not know how this change makes sense but I find it uncomfortable to engage, so I’m hoping it’s worth having it.

Virginia USA
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2021 7:09 pm     Lkl

Hi Rick,
I don't know what brand guitar you have, but all my Emmons have those changes on the RKR. You might want to check and see what it would run to switch them there. Makes more sense to me, but it sounds like an add on. All the best,
Pat
scott murray

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2021 7:32 pm    

I'm not familiar with that change but it seems like it could be useful.

I have a different change on my staggered LKL. the beauty is you can put any change you might want there, or just ignore that lever altogether.

New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2021 8:47 pm     7th Chords.

Hi Rick,
Those are some common changes. The 2nd LKL is for making 7th chords. The strings moved are far enough apart to not interfear with each other. The D# to D move makes a 7th with itself and strings 3-6, no pedals. The F# to G move makes a 7th chord, also with strings 3-6, 8 & 10 with A-B pedals down. I have those changes, too, but on a different lever and pedal.
....Pat.
Bengt Erlandsen

Brekstad, NORWAY
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2021 11:07 pm    

2nd string to D and 7th string to G works excellent together with A+B pedals for a dominant 7th sound.

I have two LKL on my S12 Zumsteel. One LKL towards the front and another more towards the back and a little bit more to the left than the front LKL.

I have the back LKL raise my E's to F as it is the most used change and the LKL itself is in a perfect natural position and engaging the lever is super easy.

The front LKL rests just outside to the left tip of my left knee. It has a very short movement and lowers my 6th string (and 11th string on the S12) G# to G. I just need to make tiny shift of my hips clockwise to push my left knee that tiny bit forward to engage the front lever and since my left leg is at an angle towards the left I am not in danger of engaging the back LKL at the same time (altho I could if I let the outer round part of my left knee fit directly in between both levers)
It feels very natural to roll away from the B pedal while holding down the A pedal and engaging this front LKL lever to get the b7th note on the 6th string.

It is essential to have a short movement on the front LKL so you dont accidentally hit the back LKL lever.

I had the exact change with 2 D#-D and 7th F#-G on my Remington S10LG and liked that change a lot together with A+B pedals. It also works well having access to both the b3 and 3rd (strings 7 and 6) and also having the b7th on string 2 same time. The 6th would be found on string 5 w A pedal or at string 2 lowered to C#.

There is a bunch of situations where this comes in handy as it is not uncommon to find numerous occations where the chord goes from a maj7th to a maj6th or a minor 7th to a minor 6th voicing.

If the LKL's are positioned correctly in realation to your sitting position they should play easy and stressfree without having to do any acrobatics to engage one or the other.

B.Erlandsen
Zumsteeel S12extE9
John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2021 1:33 am     Re: Two LKL levers

Rick Myrland wrote:
My G-2 has a LKL that raises the Es like all others, but a second LKL set back and a little to the left that lowers my 2nd string from D# to D and raises the 7th string from F# to G.

What do I do with this? Not only do I not know how this change makes sense but I find it uncomfortable to engage, so I’m hoping it’s worth having it.

Dale Rottacker has those changes together but on RKR on his guitars. I'll ask him if those changes are useful together, or if the changes are independent and mutually exclusive. Bengt Erlandsen has stated here that he uses them together, and he would know!

Getting staggered levers to fit you right is a real art and rather fiddly. My guitars have them, because I love options.
Greg Milton

Benalla, Australia
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2021 2:05 am    

Staggered levers are great and take some time to get used to. Once you do they become second nature to just move your butt forward or backward to engage the lever!
Bengt Erlandsen

Brekstad, NORWAY
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2021 2:59 am    

There is another maybe not so obvious chord/voicing combination with that particular 7th F#-G and 2 D#-D that might be cool to be aware of.

Consider/vizualize strings 7 5 and 2, B F# and D# (B major) that can change to B G and D (G major) same strings and same position by using the lever mentioned.

These major 3rd apart major chords might come in handy sooner or later.

B.Erlandsen
Zumsteel S12extE9
Michael Hill

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2021 6:12 pm    

D# to D is useful for getting a diatonic note (a note in the key you're playing in) no matter where you are on the fretboard. Either lever engaged or lever not engaged will give you a diatonic note. Paul Sutherland has a video that shows how to use it for running patterns up and down the neck.