| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Tuning ?
Russell Adkins

Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2021 11:04 am    

what tuning is this on a 6 string acoustic , could it be applied to an 8 string steel / low d a d f# a d it sounds real nice play on an acoustic guitar
Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2021 12:26 pm    

Low-to-high D A D F# A D is Open D tuning (Vestapol). I sometimes use it for guitar, especially when playing slide. Equivalent to an open-position E chord on a standard-tuned guitar but one whole tone lower. I use open tunings like this, tuned up and down, quite a bit, and they're definitely in the David Lindley wheelhouse.

Sure, you can apply it to an 8-string steel, but you'll need to figure out what you want for the extra two strings. I'd probably go D A D F# A B D F# for a non-pedal steel or if I wanted to set up pedals for something more C6-like. But for something more E9-like, maybe D A D E F# A D F#.

This all presupposes that you really want the low D A D F# core, which I would probably like for the type of things I play slide on - blues, rock and roll, and so on.
Russell Adkins

Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2021 4:07 pm    

Thanks for the input Dave its just something im messing around with along with it maybe just a couple knees no pedals just knees , it sounds great on a 6 string acoustic if you dont mind going farther into this which strings would you lower or raise using the D A D E F# A D and F# I could go with three knees
Andrew Goulet

Post  Posted 25 Jul 2021 4:18 pm    

I like that tuning on acoustic, never tried it on a steel.

Play it with a Shubb bar for some nice pull offs and hammer ons, and to keep those cool drone strings going.