| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  8 String Melobar
David Knutson

Cowichan Valley, Canada
Post  Posted 29 Jun 2021 9:05 am    

I just stumbled upon this converted '70s Melobar on Reverb. Don't know if this is a good price or not, but it says "open to offers". Just FYI . . . no connection to me.

https://reverb.com/ca/item/39829039-melobar-rosac-era-8-string-lap-steel-1970s-sunburst?page=1&filter=buyer

cheers

Last edited by David Knutson on 4 Jul 2021 7:07 am; edited 1 time in total
Jeff Peterson

Nashville, TN USA
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2021 5:47 am    

If it were original, which it is not, it would be a Mosrite/Melobar hybrid. They were made in the late 60's, maybe dribbled over to the early 70's. There were not many made. They were 10 strings, impossible tuning/string spacing. I have one that I just strung up as a 6 string to play 'heavy' slide live. Really good tone out of the original Mosrite pickups. As a 6 string, it's easy to play while jumping and flying around on stage...good neck angle.
Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2021 1:26 pm    

It's an original Melobar except for the missing tuners - I have one that's similar but fully original. Fretboards were often changed from the numbered types to plain dot inplay.

Smith also changed the bridge and nut designs constantly; the critical items are the body/neck/finish and the electronics. The linked one has the same highly desirable Paul Barth pickups as mine which gives it some enhanced value - but it's WAY overpriced according to the last Vintage Price Guide, which has them at $6-800 in excellent condition.

This is mine - an example of excellent condition:

FWIW I also have another - a double neck with a Melobar neck and Tele-style upper neck. Kind of a junior Brown setup but much easier to play. I added a Hipshot b-bender to it just to put an exclamation point on the insanity
Laughing .
Appalachian, Regal & Dobro squarenecks
1959 Fender 400 9+2 B6;1960's Fender 800 3+3+2; 1948 Fender Dual-8 Professional