| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Changing battery in cache card
winston

Frankfort, Kentucky 40601
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2021 1:32 pm    

Could someone tell me how to change the battery in a profex 2 cache card? I have done this in the past but do not remember how I did it. thanks Winston May
Marty Broussard

Broussard, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2021 3:53 pm    

Watching

"Technique is really the elimination of the unnecessary..it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to achieve the smooth flow of energy and intent" Yehudi Menuhin
Bill Ferguson

Milton, FL USA
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2021 3:56 pm    

Yes sir.
Located next to the little lock switch, put your fingernail on the edge of the card and pry out the battery compartment.
It takes a CR2016.
I just changed 2 for people today.

Remember that you will lose the programs on the card and will have to initialize and reload the programs.

Need any help, give me a shout.
678-859-3290
AUTHORIZED George L's, Goodrich, Telonics and Peavey Dealer: I have 2 steels and several amps. My current rig of choice is 1993 Emmons LeGrande w/ 108 pups (Jack Strayhorn built for me), Goodrich OMNI Volume Pedal, George L's cables, Goodrich Baby Bloomer and Peavey Nashville 112. Can't get much sweeter.
Bill Moore

Manchester, Michigan
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2021 4:07 pm    

You can change the battery while the card is inserted into the Profex or Tubefex. If you do that, the presets will not be erased. Just make sure you don't pull it out with the battery removed, or the presets will be lost.
Bill Ferguson

Milton, FL USA
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2021 4:09 pm    

I did not know that. But if you have the programs in your profex it it doesn't matter if you lose the card or not because it's so easy to reload
AUTHORIZED George L's, Goodrich, Telonics and Peavey Dealer: I have 2 steels and several amps. My current rig of choice is 1993 Emmons LeGrande w/ 108 pups (Jack Strayhorn built for me), Goodrich OMNI Volume Pedal, George L's cables, Goodrich Baby Bloomer and Peavey Nashville 112. Can't get much sweeter.

Last edited by Bill Ferguson on 2 Jan 2024 12:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Marty Broussard

Broussard, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2021 4:14 pm    

Is anyone doing the battery-less mod? Just picked up a TT-fex and don’t want to worry about losing programs etc.

"Technique is really the elimination of the unnecessary..it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to achieve the smooth flow of energy and intent" Yehudi Menuhin
Bill Ferguson

Milton, FL USA
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2021 6:36 am    

Ken Fox is still doing the batteryless mod.

I have a new battery in my ProFex, so at my age, it will probably outlast me.
Patrick Huey

Nacogdoches, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2021 7:34 am    

Marty Broussard wrote:
Is anyone doing the battery-less mod? Just picked up a TT-fex and don’t want to worry about losing programs etc.

Marty
Contact Ken Fox
http://foxvintageamps.com/
Pre RP Mullen D10 8/7, Zum 3/4, Carter S-10 3/4, previous Cougar SD-10 3/4 & GFI S-10 3/4, Fender Steel King, 2 Peavey Session 500's, Peavey Nashville 400, Boss DD-3, Profex-II, Hilton Digital Sustain, '88 Les Paul Custom,Epiphone MBIBG J-45, Fender Strat & Tele's, Takamine acoustics, Marshall amps, Boss effects, Ibanez Tube Screamer, and it all started with an old cranky worn out Kay acoustic you could slide a Mack truck between the strings and fretboard on!!
Ken Fox

Nashville GA USA
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2021 11:29 am    

Cartridge battery:

The cartridge has a replaceable backup battery, which maintains the memory while the cartridge is removed from the unit or the unit is turned off. The battery will last 2 to 5 years, depending on the model. If the battery becomes low, the unit will warn you by periodically displaying the following screen:

CAUTION
Cart. Battery Low

Note: If this message is displayed you should back up your cartridge memory immediately (unless the presets are already in you user memory), then replace the battery. After replacing the battery, the card can be reinitialized and USER presets from Bank A will be written back to the card. The battery is a common lithium battery, model CR-2016. These can be purchased at Radio Shack or most any photo/electronics counter in a variety store. Replacement is very easy. A small plastic holder holds the battery in the card. Hold the card in your hand, with the metal protector down in the palm of your hand. Look closely at the top, left edge of the card. You will see a very tiny slot running left to right along the face of the card edge, about 3/8” long. Insert your fingernail in the slot and pull with an outward motion. The battery and holder will come out of the card. Note the polarity, the battery positive is upwards, towards the face of the card, opposite of the metal protector side of the card.
Ken Fox

Nashville GA USA
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2021 11:29 am    

RAM card notes:

The RAM card acts as a memory extension for the storage of 128 additional presets and 128 additional programs. Presets can be accessed individually and played directly off the RAM cartridge without the need to load them into the user memory. The 128 additional programs appear as program bank C and can be setup to point to any preset in the Cartridge, User, or Factory preset memory. Insert the card with the small metal cover down. The metal cover is inserted first into the card slot. The cover protects the small connections on the card’s edge. This cover slides back as the card is inserted to expose the small metal connections on the card. It will snap into place when inserted correctly.

Note: The RAM Cartridge menus are accessed through the Global button

Initializing a new card:

Initializing a new cartridge: A new cartridge (or one that has had the battery replaced) must be initialized for use with a Profex 2, Transtubefex or Tubefex. To do this, select the CART menu. Place the cursor under IN for initialize. And press the Store/Exec button.

WARNING: INITIALIZING THE RAM CARTRIDGE WILL OVERWRITE ALL CURRENT DATA ON THE CARD WITH THE USER PRESETS.

Saving Presets on the Cartridge: (saves your customized user presets to the card)

Presets may be stored individually to the Cartridge by using the store procedure, or all USER presets may be SAVED on the cartridge by using the SAVE function on the SAVE User->Cart [CART] menu. This function also writes PROGRAM BANK A (user presets bank) into PROGRAM BANK C (RAM cartridge presets) as well as converting all pointers to USER PRESETS into pointers to CARTRIDGE PRESETS in the process.

Loading Presets from the cartridge: (loads presets from the card to the user presets in the Profex)

Cartridge presets may be recalled individually from the cartridge to the edit buffer, or ALL presets may be LOADED to USER preset memory by using the LOAD function on the SAVE User->Cart [CART] menu. This function also writes PROGRAM BANK C (RAM cartridge presets) to PROGRAM BANK A (user presets bank), converting all pointers to CARTRIDGE PRESETS into pointers to USER PRESETS in the process.

Cartridge battery:

The cartridge has a replaceable backup battery, which maintains the memory while the cartridge is removed from the unit or the unit is turned off. The battery will last 2 to 5 years, depending on the model. If the battery becomes low, the unit will warn you by periodically displaying the following screen:
winston

Frankfort, Kentucky 40601
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2021 7:32 am    

Thanks to everyone for the help. Winston May