| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  options for <50 lb GOOD PSG?
Lynn Kasdorf

Waterford Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2021 8:47 am    

I have some travel dates coming up this fall and I want to make my air travel life easier. I have flown my Emmons SKH D10 several times- and it is a royal pain. To get it into packages that are < 50 lb, I have to remove the pedals from the pedal bar, and put those and the legs into a large suitcase. My PSG flight case just has the steel body and the naked pedal bar. Then I have a 2nd large suitcase with the remaining stuff.

For the main band I'll be travelling with, E9 neck is what I need 90%, and I can fake the rest.

SO- as of today, what are the best options for a flyable S10 of pro quality? I'll need 3 & 5. I'd like to stay under $2k. A good deal on a used one would be great.

The Justice Pro-Lite looks great, but it is >$3k. A single neck GFI ultra is also >$3k.

It may make sense to get a Zum Encore for $1625. I really don't care for the looks of these, but too bad Smile If these are good steels, that may be the ticket.

Are there other options out there? I want to stay away from beginner models.

Bristol, VA
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2021 9:00 am     Re: options for <50 lb GOOD PSG?

Lynn Kasdorf wrote:
I have some travel dates coming up this fall and I want to make my air travel life easier. I have flown my Emmons SKH D10 several times- and it is a royal pain. To get it into packages that are < 50 lb, I have to remove the pedals from the pedal bar, and put those and the legs into a large suitcase. My PSG flight case just has the steel body and the naked pedal bar. Then I have a 2nd large suitcase with the remaining stuff.

For the main band I'll be travelling with, E9 neck is what I need 90%, and I can fake the rest.

SO- as of today, what are the best options for a flyable S10 of pro quality? I'll need 3 & 5. I'd like to stay under $2k. A good deal on a used one would be great.

The Justice Pro-Lite looks great, but it is >$3k. A single neck GFI ultra is also >$3k.

It may make sense to get a Zum Encore for $1625. I really don't care for the looks of these, but too bad Smile If these are good steels, that may be the ticket.

Are there other options out there? I want to stay away from beginner models.

Did you see this post? https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=370888

Republic, MO 65738
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2021 9:12 am    

I have been playing a Zum Encore for a little over five years and it plays as easily and sounds as good as any guitar I've had (and I've had a lot of them). It weighs about 42 pounds in the case. And they are priced well under two grand. I don't know what the wait time is on them right now but one shows up for sale on the forum occasionally.
Ken Mizell

Lakeland, Florida, 33809, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2021 11:11 am    

GFI Ultra or Expo, SD-10 or S-10. The wait time isn't prohibitive, and they can be found on the forum or Reverb from time to time - and there may be some dealers stocking them. My GFI Expo S-10 is 26 lbs, and around 40 in the case. I like it a lot. The wait time for a Encore or Stage One could be well in excess of 6-8 months. The wait for a BMI is 9 months. The wait for a Justice isn't too bad. The GFI is something like 6-8 weeks.

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 6 Jul 2021 10:16 am    

I have an Encore, in fact it's my only pedal steel.
I bought it specifically for it's weight and portability. I think it sounds nice (happy to post some clips if you want), certainly the steel isn't the limiting factor in my playing anyways. I have one of those SKB cases with wheels on it, it's nice and light - would highly recommend something like that for fly dates.
Whenever I've flown with it (including internationally), I've been able to walk in onto the plane and throw it into the overhead bins. So, that would be my suggestion.

Good luck!
Anthony Parish

Austin
Post  Posted 6 Jul 2021 1:25 pm    

I echo the comments about Zum Encore and GFI Expo. I have had good experiences with both guitars, and they fit the bill, < 50lbs.
Steve Mueller

Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jul 2021 8:12 pm    

A Williams S-10 3X5 wide body with a beautiful laquer finish is $3495. The guitar weighs 25 lbs, add 13 lb case you get 38 lbs for a beautiful new pro level steel.

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2021 12:41 am    

The Jackson Maverick, 3+4 , comes in at around 25 pounds at under 2 grand new. Maybe consider 3+4 rather than 3+5. It may open many more doors ! Very Happy

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website
Mike Mantey

Eastern Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2021 7:04 am     Another option

https://mullenguitars.com/discovery
John Talbott

Castle Rock, Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2021 10:59 am    

A little youtube video of an ENCORE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyzsq_SXw-8
GFI Ultra D10
L120, L10k & StageOne Volume pedals
PV Spcl 130, NV112, NV400 & LTD400
Alesis Q-Verb/GT
PV TranstubeFex
Match-Bro
Ken Mizell

Lakeland, Florida, 33809, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2021 11:03 am    

The Stage One (3&4) and Encore (3&5), are both great guitars at a great price - no doubts about it. The only problem, is getting one of them. Per Doug's web page, he isn't taking new orders until the fall, and even then I don't know what the wait time will be.

Aurora, Colorado
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2021 5:10 pm     Re: Another option

Mike Mantey wrote:
https://mullenguitars.com/discovery

Work up a gig bag for a 49 key keyboard and you have what amounts to split cases.
Pedal rack and leg bag fit as nice as you please! Winking

EDIT: and you can stuff the(empty) gig bag in the (empty) steel case when they need to be out of the way.
Larry Allen

Kapaa, Kauai,Hawaii
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2021 2:00 pm    

Excel Superb, S10, 21 lbs, case is 12 lbs..31” wide, fits an overhead storage…

Waterford Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2021 4:42 pm    

Larry Allen wrote:
Excel Superb, S10, 21 lbs, case is 12 lbs..31” wide, fits an overhead storage…

Yeah, one of those would be ideal. But, I got a quote of $3550 for an S10 3+5 delivered and 2 month lead time. One of these is the dream steel...

Upstate NY
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2021 11:53 am    

+1 for the Encore. For local gigs I don't even break it down. I just lay it down flat on its front in the rear of my hatchback and put it over my shoulder and carry it in to the venue one armed. I can be up in running in about 10 minutes or less and it doesn't break my back! But even in the case its not a back breaker.