| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  GFI S-10 SM 3x4 - Instrument Leg Height for Shorter Player?
Harry Pepe

Seattle, WA
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2021 11:40 am    

Hello!

I am a newcomer and looking to buy my first instrument. Although I wanted a Stage One Encore, I'm more interested in playing sooner, rather than waiting to snag one.

I am probably going to buy the student model GFI 3x4 directly from GFI and am wondering about their leg height options. You can order the standard height, or 1", or 2" higher or lower. I am only 5'6" in height, with a normal torso height ratio.

Should I ordered the legs to be 1" lower?

Thanks and I'm looking forward to pushin' some pedal.

- Harry
Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2021 11:50 am    

I'm shorter than that and go 1" under. But I can play a standard height. I think you should go with standard.
Mike Ritchie

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2021 12:35 pm    

Hello Harry, do yourself a favor and check out Justice Steel Guitars at http://www.justicesteelguitars.com/
Great guitars-great prices and quick delivery.
Gene Tani

Pac NW
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2021 3:29 pm    

If you ordered them e.g. 2" under and needed to lengthen, that's easy on back legs, just buy somme 1/2" ID pvc pipe to hold them at the longer length. On the front legs, you might need a spacer in the gap for pedal bar to take up sapce between pedal bar and the knurled lock ring. But you don't want to rely on the clutch in the legs bottom to hold at right length

and then the pedal rods need to be right length also of course
Andy Vance

Graham, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2021 3:57 pm    

Harry,
I am gigging in Seattle July 23/24 at The Little Red Hen. You are welcome to stop by and sit behind my standard height with my pac-a-seat and see if it will fit you as-is.

Andy
Ken Mizell

Lakeland, Florida, 33809, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2021 4:12 pm    

Note that there are no leg clutches on the GFI legs. Front legs do not adjust at all. Rear legs will adjust somewhat, but no clutch. The rear leg adjustment screws in and out. Also, keep in mind that your right leg needs more clearance because of your volume pedal, which will add an inch or two. The offer to sit under a GFI there in Seattle is valuable. A set of GFI legs and rods, as an aftermarket item, costs $175.00, so you need to be sure. I have a GFI S-10 Expo, and I love it. I'm 6' tall, and I have to use a lowboy volume pedal to get under my GFI if I have anything but thin soled shoes on.

Pac NW
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2021 7:45 am    

Woops, just noticed that for first time, no clutches on the Justice Jr or the GFI S model.

If you're in King County, I could show you how the leg and pedal rod extensions work on a 2" under set, it's not complicated at all but trying to describe them is complicated
Ken Mizell

Lakeland, Florida, 33809, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2021 8:49 am    

There are no leg clutches on ANY GFI model. The rear legs adjust by inserting an Allen wrench into a bolt and adjusting it in or out as needed. The rubber cap fits over the bolt end, and the collar snugs up against the leg that is threaded on the end.

NOTE: Only ONE rear leg adjusts on the GFI Student Model, for leveling on an uneven floor.

Fort Edward, NY
Post  Posted 27 Jun 2021 3:42 pm    

I’m only 5’ 3” and play a standard height GFI Ultra currently. This is the 5th steel I’ve owned and I haven’t changed the height on any of them so as not to hinder the resale value. I did, however, raise the height of my steel seat. Works for me. PM me if you want the specifics of what I did.
Addendum: I remeasured the height of my Pak-a-seat and it’s 20.5”. Out of curiosity I measured my boyfriend’s brand new Hudson steel seat and it, too, is 20.5”. So not sure which brands are higher but there are some out there that needn’t be modified.

Last edited by Lynn Fargo on 2 Jul 2021 7:04 am; edited 1 time in total
Lynn Fargo

Fort Edward, NY
Post  Posted 27 Jun 2021 6:05 pm    

Oh, also by the way, when I first started playing ( a long time ago in a galaxy etc. etc.) I had a sturdy cushion that I sat on to raise me up higher. I have a nice fat Sho-Bud volume pedal that helps raise my knee up, and I always play in cowboy heels or shoes with a good sized heel. They let me reach my knee levers with no problem. I had a drum throne for a short time but didn’t like it so much. Only some brands will raise high enough for us short people anyway, so if you go that route make sure you read the description. I only had to raise my seat to 20.5” to work well for me. Maybe if you get a seat made, they could just add some extra cushioning for you.. Good luck. See, I fit!
Addendum: I see now there are some higher seats available on the market.

Last edited by Lynn Fargo on 2 Jul 2021 7:08 am; edited 1 time in total
Tal Herbsman

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jun 2021 6:32 am    

i'm 5'6", i like the guitar height at 1.5" under standard but can live with 1" under. legs and rods are easy to get and a relatively minor expense, probably the way to go over increasing seat height which is not ideal. When i owned a GFI, i believe he told me he could cut the legs and rods 1.5" under. worth asking .
Lynn Fargo

Fort Edward, NY
Post  Posted 28 Jun 2021 9:02 am    

Yes, Tal, increasing the seat height may not be an ideal solution for every vertically challenged player, but it is ideal for me and might be for Harry. I feel very comfortable at my guitar and I spent less than $20 for wooden dowels and rubber feet. I’ve also sold 3 standard height guitars over the years within days of putting them on the market without having to wait for a player who would need a modified guitar. With a raised seat I can play virtually any standard height guitar, unless the knee levers are too far left or right, in which case I have another homegrown remedy which solves that problem. Now that I’m thinking about it, I wonder if a “ lowered” seat might help some, not all, taller players fit under their guitars. But I’m sure someone has thought of that already.

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jun 2021 9:56 am     Leg Height

Sent you a PM