| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  James B. Lansing 130A speaker
Dave Grafe

Hudson River Valley NY
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2024 6:55 am    

Years ago I had a friend recone a pair of well-traveled vintage James B Lansing 130A baskets with modern (at the time) 8-ohm K130 cones. The 130A was the original JBL HiFi woofer, precursor to the original D130 speaker, the magnet and basket are identical, and features the original - i.e. pre "F" - narrow voice coil gap. As such it is more sensitive but this sweetness comes at the expense of power handling, if the voice coil gets too hot it will warp and bind and tear itself apart in the gap.

From Harvey Gerst, JBL's design engineer at the time: "The 130A was basically a D130 with a copper voice coil and a paper dome...opened the voice coil gap slightly on the D130F to allow more tolerance in mounting. Most people didn't realize that even though 8 mounting holes were available, only using four is the recomended mounting. And you don't screw them down tight to the board - that warps the frame. You use two fingers to do the
final tightening - the gasket will them complete the seal. When you warp the
frame by overtightening, the voice coil can go out of round and eventually drag
and short out. I opened the gap slightly to allow for this problem with just a
very slight loss in efficiency - less than 1 dB."

I have used this one's mate in my 45 watt Vibroverb to record steel tracks with excellent results, but have never tried it in a live situation for fear of damaging it at stage volume. It would be a perfectly indestructible match for a Fender Deluxe Reverb or similar amp putting out up to 30 watts into 8 ohms, and will easily double the volume per watt of any non-JBL speaker that it replaces.

$200 shipped to CONUSA