| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Jimmy Day Had Class
Shaun Marshall

San Rafael California, USA
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2021 10:05 pm    

Jimmy Day treated a melody with class, no extra notes beyond class and heart, Let it Be Me was so Jimmy Day xo I wish he was still around so he could stop by and tell me all about it, for JD!

Maybe a friend out there on the forum could post his version I can barely remember my password
Joe Krumel

Hermitage, Tn.
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2021 5:19 am    

Yeah, Jimmy D. was/is a pleasure to listen to.
David Zornes

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2021 6:25 am     Jimmy Day

Any fan of Jimmy Day would not want to be without his Steel and Strings album-cd.
Joe Krumel

Hermitage, Tn.
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2021 11:23 am    

When I was just starting,a local monster picker gave me a copy of steel &strings. My head exploded!
Terry Wood

Lebanon, MO
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2021 6:05 pm    

Jimmy Day was Great! He influenced a lot of other Steel Guitarists. He had a tremendous impact on my early playing. I still dig his music! I Sure miss him too!

Last edited by Terry Wood on 24 Mar 2021 7:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tom Vollmer

Hamburg, Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2021 7:43 pm     Jimmy Day Pedals

Some of the newer players are not aware of Jimmie's pedal set up which I know years ago new players would try Emmons and Day to see which worked best for them.Most today I believe use Emmons pedals without considering the Day set up. My advice to newer players is try both if you have a chance and see which works the best.If you are long legged the Emmons is probably better but Day was not short.At one time most players in Pennsylvania used Day pedals.Just throwing this out to newer players with a possability of making playing easier.
Glenn Suchan

Austin, Texas
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2021 11:14 am    

Those that knew him, know Jimmy had class as a person, too!

Some forty years ago, when I first arrived in Austin, and was playing steel for only about a year and a half, I was playing in a band that practiced in the old Austin Opry House. For awhile, Charlie Day, Jimmy's nephew played in that band, too. One time, as rehearsal was winding down, Jimmy came by to get Charlie. Unbeknownst to me, he was standing right behind me as I ham-fisted my way around the song we were rehearsing. When the song ended Jimmy leaned over my shoulder and said, "nice playin', kid." I turned around and saw Jimmy. Through a deer-in-the-headlights stare I managed to articulate a "Gee, thanks, Jimmy". It was a good thing rehearsal had ended, because I wouldn't have been able to screech out another sound out of my Emmons. Laughing

Then years later, shortly before his death in December 1998, Jimmy was playing as a duet with Craig Dillingham at Henry's (you longtime Austinites will remember Henry's) after the club moved to Liberty Hill, TX. The audience consisted of about a dozen regulars and members of both Craig's and Jimmy's families.

The gig had ended and there was the usual gathering around the artists and the accompanying small talk. Among all of that and still on stage, Jimmy started to play the most heartfelt instrumental of "Silent Night" I've ever heard. The small talk continued as Jimmy seemed to be playing to himself, but I was mesmerized. That was the last time I'd seen Jimmy.

RIP, maestro.

Keep on pickin'!
Glenn

The Netherlands
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2021 12:43 am    

I still love this picture of Neil Flanz playing in a Jimmy Day t shirt, two of my heroes.
Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2021 9:53 pm    

Jimmy was a good singer also. All of his instrumentals sound like a singer singing the song. Smooth and all the little pauses in the right places.
Someone asked Jimmy one time, How do you play a steel guitar. He said,"Hook your Heart to the Bar, And your Soul to the Peddles".
RIP Mr. Day
Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2021 5:35 am    

Glenn Suchan wrote:

Then years later, shortly before his death in December 1998, Jimmy was playing as a duet with Craig Dillingham at Henry's (you longtime Austinites will remember Henry's) after the club moved to Liberty Hill, TX.

Just to correct my friend Glenn's excellent homage to our hero, Jimmy passed away in January 1999, 5 days after his 65th birthday.

It was a hell of a funeral. You had to have been there.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?
Glenn Suchan

Austin, Texas
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2021 1:57 pm    

Herb Steiner wrote:
Glenn Suchan wrote:

Then years later, shortly before his death in December 1998, Jimmy was playing as a duet with Craig Dillingham at Henry's (you longtime Austinites will remember Henry's) after the club moved to Liberty Hill, TX.

Just to correct my friend Glenn's excellent homage to our hero, Jimmy passed away in January 1999, 5 days after his 65th birthday.

It was a hell of a funeral. You had to have been there.

Ah, those pesky commas. I missed putting a few in. I meant to say, "Then, years later, shortly before his death, in December 1998...."

Herb, I wish I could have attended Jimmy's memorial and funeral. Although he didn't know me from Adam, he was, and is one of my idols. RIP, Jimmy.

Keep on pickin'!
Glenn

Austin, Texas
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2021 2:09 pm    

Bobby D. Jones wrote:
Jimmy was a good singer also...

Here's are a couple he sang:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BzF6KNHOds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxcOKoEHez0

and two he co-wrote, and (I think) sang backup on:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1I3QHj5dQhc
and the flip side: