| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Lexicon MPX1 Question
Johnny Howington

Lillington, NC
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2021 3:48 pm    

Not sure if anyone uses a Lexicon MPX 1 theses days but have a question about one. I received it in a rack system and really like some of the sounds for sure. It came with the steel guitar presets and I have used them. Some reason now I can go the 200 -250 but it seems to stay on last presets I used from about 218 I think it is. Any help would be appreciated! My intentions were to swap out the lexicon 200 but would like to try this one out first.

Hahns Peak, Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2021 6:55 am    

Johnny, you can probably download the manual if it didn't come with it. Complicated unit that MPX1 but worth learning. I'm not using my rack system but that's my favorite reverb/delay. It seems to me though that when I'd turn it on it was always still on the setting that I last used. Of course if you had to do a factory reset you'd lose all those nice steel settings. But you could save a midi sysex dump first (as per the manual). Or someone that knows how could email you the file I believe. If those are the Buddy Castleberry settings I think they're excellent. He told me that he and John Hughey spent many hours working them up for John's unit.
Johnny Howington

Lillington, NC
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2021 12:59 pm     Thanks !!!!

yes sir !! I downloaded the manual and I have a computer tech friend that can help me do the midi sysex dump first (as per the manual). Thanks for the response!! Appreciate the help !! I hope I can locate the presets or I will be manually programming some. I normally only use 2 settings.
1 with hardly any reverb or delay and one with more reverb and delay than usual for slow pretty songs!!! I like the way you can adjust whatever your using by just adjusting the effects knob!! Very nice sounds for sure!!!!

Post  Posted 1 Mar 2021 2:37 pm    

I do pretty much the same. Mostly two settings--one for fast & one slow. I don't want much slop in there with fast tunes. Just a little wetness. What a lush unit. I may even go back to hauling that stuff around. It would help if I'd just have everything all set to just plug in the speakers and the a/c & play.
Godfrey Arthur

3rd Rock
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2021 2:56 pm    

Isn't there a normal SAVE function once you dial in your tweaks?
Scott Denniston

Post  Posted 1 Mar 2021 6:07 pm    

Godfrey, Yes there is a save function. But if you have a whole bunch of user presets and then there's a problem that can only be fixed with a reset or initialization to factory you would lose all user presets. You could write all the info down and re-enter it but in the MPX1 there are just a ton of parameters. I tried writing them down for someone once. It can be done that way but much easier with a midi dump if you know how to do that. Then you just install that file with your computer,a midi connection, and the midi file. I've never done it.
Godfrey Arthur

3rd Rock
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2021 8:20 pm    

Scott Denniston wrote:
Godfrey, Yes there is a save function. But if you have a whole bunch of user presets and then there's a problem that can only be fixed with a reset or initialization to factory you would lose all user presets. You could write all the info down and re-enter it but in the MPX1 there are just a ton of parameters. I tried writing them down for someone once. It can be done that way but much easier with a midi dump if you know how to do that. Then you just install that file with your computer,a midi connection, and the midi file. I've never done it.

Yes Scott I'm aware of the SYSX data dump but have never tried it.

Of course if you have user presets and for some reason need to reboot the system, one must save the user presets first before initializing a set to factory presets.

Before MIDI, one could save data by cassette tape with special inputs on the device as in a Korg Polysix.

I have an MPX500 with updated chips. I noticed when using it if you tweak and don't save it reverts back to the previous saved giving preference to the saved file unless you really intend to save or overwrite.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Johnny Howington

Lillington, NC
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2021 11:05 am     Mpx 1

We are going to try to see if they are still in the unit somewhere first. If not I can have the midi dump done. Another forum member has the disc I can reload the presets for steel guitar if I need to. All of them are not gone. 201-218 are still there. Buddy Emmons is 209 but John Hughey's was 222 (I think) and I can't pull it up. It comes on screen not available and in a few seconds it reads available! I will know something after Thursday Evening after computer man checks it out. Appreciate the help so far I have received on the forum here and in PM's !

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2021 3:30 pm    

Johnny, let me know how the midi dump works out. I have 2 of these units and both need battery's for the memory. I believe it wipes out your settings when replaced. I need to save mine beforehand. I don't have the Hughey stuff but I have programs I have tweaked that I like and want to restore. The coin type battery has soldered in legs on the underside.
Johnny Howington

Lillington, NC
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2021 8:17 am     mpx 1

Didn't really get anywhere with the unit. We were scared we were gonna lose presets with everything we tried. I did get unit back to all presets working up to 218. I can go from 219 to 250 but it says the same thing. Programs not available and in just a few seconds it changes to sorted by numbers and says *available by number* I'm gonna try a couple more things and if no change I'm just gonna put my Lexicon 200 in it and use it. I been using those for 5 years now so I can at least function with it. Not sure how saving last 10 presets can cause you to lose 30 presets but maybe someone else will chime in. Anyone looking a good MPX 1 I have one for a 1000.00 dollars!! LOL !!! (just picking)

Lillington, NC
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2021 1:57 pm     Lexicon MPX 1 Switch

I changed over to the lexicon mx200 today. Just got frustrated with the mpx 1. I was going to try it but I have been using the lexicon MX 200 for 6 years and getting some good sounds. One question if anyone can help. I have it in mono and getting same sounds out of both speakers but lexicon mx200 seems to have less effects for some reason. I did the process of changing the lexicon mx200 over to mono per the manual. I just don't seem to have the same amount of effects. Any help on this one.

Post  Posted 7 Mar 2021 6:53 pm    

I'm not too tech savy but as I remember the MPX1 has separate engines for reverb and delay which I guess is why it sounds better. I'd better dig mine out and see how the battery is doing after years of neglect. Really I think that (MPX1) along with my Sarno Revelation and VHT 2/90/2 power amp is the best I've ever played out of & I may go back to that. Glad I'm too lazy to sell stuff!
Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2021 7:03 pm    

Scott, those battery's charge when plugged in but eventually they fail. I got a couple from Digikey. They have to be soldered in.
Scott Denniston

Post  Posted 8 Mar 2021 5:24 pm    

Larry, I haven't been in there yet but may order the battery. Do you have a Digikey part # for that or just the number off the battery? It's been several years that it's been stored.
I did turn it on and the last setting I used came up. I had named it "The Beave". It's Randy Beaver's set up to make it work right in stereo compatible with the Revelation. What I may try though is running it mono through one side (separate speakers) and have the other side dry. I used to do that with two Peaveys and it worked great to maintain that punch and keep one side out of the digital world.
Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2021 5:59 pm    

Scott, 3V Coin battery, 23mm part BR-2325/HCN P202-ND
They were 1.71 but shipping is 8.99. Worth it to me. I had contacted Lexicon some years back and it seems they wanted 15.00 back then. Let me know if you have trouble finding it. I can send you a picture if needed.
Interesting on the Beaver setting, I did the same with one of his posted settings. I have the Revelation, MPX1 and a Stewart power amp, dual 15 Evans cabs. Its a big sweet sound.
Scott Denniston

Post  Posted 8 Mar 2021 6:29 pm    

Larry we both have practically the same stuff.

I tried selling that Stewart when I bought the VHT to go to tube heaven. I built my own cabs-- 2 15" Evans (which are actually Eminence). I should try the Stewart again to lighten up but I do like that VHT. Thanks a lot for the specs on that battery. I'm getting everything all set up at once in my music shed so I can switch back an forth quick to make sure what I like best-- the Kemper setup or the Revelation/Lex/VHT/Evans. The only complaint I had with the latter was the weight and that was mostly the VHT.
Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2021 6:52 pm    

Sweet. Hard to beat that combo. Keep up the good work.
Ray DeVoe

Hudson, FL
Post  Posted 9 Mar 2021 1:33 am     Mpx 1

Johnny

The Lexicon MPX 1 is still considered by many as "top shelf" equipment. As stated, they are difficult to learn and program but once you get a few settings that you like, you very seldom have to change anything. A local friend of mine in Florida first clued me in on the MPX 1. He also uses a Revelation, MPX 1 and Stewart power amp with a pair of 15" JBL K 130's from a Stereo Steel setup.

My setups are somewhat similar. I use Revelation's ( standard or octal tube models ) with MPX 1's into Furlong powered speaker cabinets.
(Standard 12" splits or 15" inch powered cabinets loaded with JBL K 130's).

The Revelation and MPX 1 combo is a terrific sounding setup. If I am correct, this combination is what John Hughey was using at the end of his performing days.

I have been watching this thread but have not previously chimed in as others with more experience and knowledge have been posting. Actually, I need to thank Larry Dering for giving me a helping hand when I first needed help with a unit that had lost its memory and I had to reload programs on it from another unit that I had as a backup. The MPX 1's come up for sale pretty reasonably and it pays to have an extra unit sitting around as a backup for use or as a backup source. The MPX 1 is far superior sound wise to the TC Electronics M One's that I had previously used in my rack setups. I will mention one other thing though. If you plan to print out the user manual, you had better have plenty of paper on hand.

From what you are describing in your first post, you may have accidently erased some of your user presets. Once you get the unit set up again, push the "system" button and go to the "mode" setting. Go into the mode submenu string and find the memory protect feature and make sure that's turned on. That will protect the user bank from any unplanned changes.

Another nice feature of the MPX 1 is the soft sat setting. To turn that on, push the system button and then find the "audio" submenu. You can turn the soft sat feature on or off from the sub menu. The soft sat feature will change the sound of the unit to a slightly saturated and warmer sound when turned on.

One last thing to mention is that it makes a big difference on how you are using this unit. The programmable effect level settings will need to be set at different values if you are running the MPX 1 in an effect loop verses going direct in-between the preamp and power amp.

As stated, the MPX 1's are great units but they take a lot of up front learning time.

Ray D
Hudson, FL
Johnny Howington

Lillington, NC
Post  Posted 9 Mar 2021 5:52 am     MPX 1 Lexicon 200

Yes sir! You are correct there! I have already taken the MPX 1 out and put the Lexicon 200 in the rack. I also called Dave Beaty yesterday and man was he a big help ! I'm not going to say the 200 sounds any better than the MPX 1 but I'm getting some really great sounds that I enjoy! I went back and set up the rack wiring for stereo again and made a change in the lexicon 200 according to the user's manual that you choose for stereo or mono (page 24) and put it in stereo mode. The Knobs in the upper left side of unit that control the 2 processors is where you can adjust how much of the effects you get in each preset. Amazing! I appreciate all the help from you guys and it was nice just to meet some of you and as always the forum came to the rescue again along with Dave Beaty! I just want the stereo sound for me at home and at church. I still use my Telonics for gigs! Appreciate all the input!! Willing to help anyone else that might be going threw same issues if possible !!
Anyone looking a Lexicon MPX 1 just let me know! I already have it in a box ready to ship !!! Lol !!!