| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Mackie 1200 VLZ Issue
James Quillian

San Antonio, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2021 12:05 pm    

I am not getting a signal when plugging an instrument into the inputs in the section market in read. The inputs to the left work fine.

Is there a certain way these inputs must be used? It is probably something I am not doing correctly.

Of course it may be a problem with the unit itself. I need to find out if it is.

[img]
[/img]
Howard Parker

Maryland
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2021 1:11 pm    

Are those the settings you were using because you have the gains turned down for CH5-CH12. I can't tell if you also might have the channels muted (button below the "Pan" knobs).

h

03\' Carter D-10
70\'s Dekley D-10
52\' Fender Custom
Many guitars by Paul Beard
Listowner Resoguit-L
James Quillian

San Antonio, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2021 1:48 pm    

That is not actually my mixer in the image. I just used it because it is exactly the same.

The channels to the left work fine. Nothing has been muted and volume is set.

Howard Parker wrote:
Are those the settings you were using because you have the gains turned down for CH5-CH12. I can't tell if you also might have the channels muted (button below the "Pan" knobs).

h

Howard Parker

Maryland
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2021 2:21 pm    

fwiw

Inputs 1-4 are "instrument Level" 5-12 are "Line Level" and might not have sufficient gain for a "raw" intsrument feed.
Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2021 2:45 pm    

The inputs in the section outlined in red are line-level inputs. They are expecting a signal on the general order of 1-1.5 volts peak-to-peak, which is taken as a 0 to +4 dBV reference for other signal levels.

Typical instrument or mic level inputs are roughly 20-30 db less than line level, or more like 30-100 miillivolts, with passive mics usually being the weaker signal. This is a factor of around 10-30 smaller. So it's not surprising you don't get much output if you just plug a guitar into a true line-level input without any trim pot to increase the gain.

If you want to be sure those line inputs are working correctly, plug in something with a larger signal output. Maybe a rack effect that has a line level out, maybe the output of a clean boost with a gain factor of around 10 or more. I have an old (late 70s-early 80s) MXR Noise Gate / Line Drive that does this pretty well. But anything that will give you around a 20dB (10x) clean boost. I suggest clean boost because you want to know if the preamps are cleanly amplifying.
James Quillian

San Antonio, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2021 5:33 pm    

Dave Mudgett wrote:
The inputs in the section outlined in red are line-level inputs. They are expecting a signal on the general order of 1-1.5 volts peak-to-peak, which is taken as a 0 to +4 dBV reference for other signal levels.

Typical instrument or mic level inputs are roughly 20-30 db less than line level, or more like 30-100 miillivolts, with passive mics usually being the weaker signal. This is a factor of around 10-30 smaller. So it's not surprising you don't get much output if you just plug a guitar into a true line-level input without any trim pot to increase the gain.

If you want to be sure those line inputs are working correctly, plug in something with a larger signal output. Maybe a rack effect that has a line level out, maybe the output of a clean boost with a gain factor of around 10 or more. I have an old (late 70s-early 80s) MXR Noise Gate / Line Drive that does this pretty well. But anything that will give you around a 20dB (10x) clean boost. I suggest clean boost because you want to know if the preamps are cleanly amplifying.

I plugged a stereo receiver into it and it lit up. So that worked.
Howard Parker

Maryland
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2021 5:37 pm    

Excellent. Sounds like it is functioning as designed.

h