| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  Sold please close
Noah Miller

Rocky Hill, CT
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2021 6:54 am    

I'm slimming down my steel collection; I wouldn't let this one go, but I also own a double-neck Trotmore and I can't justify keeping both.

Remarkably, I can identify the original owner of this exact instrument. Charles Miller (no relation) was a unique steel player: born without a right hand, he played steel left-handed by strapping the bar to his right wrist with a watch band. This is why the note letters are stamped next to the frets “backwards”. It’s also why Miller placed the tone control in its unusual position when he added it. Most Trotmore steels were originally painted silver, but a 1979 photograph shows Miller playing this instrument with its two-tone color scheme already applied. It is possible that he painted it brown to make it look like a conventional wood body; there is definitely a layer of greyish paint under the brown and tan. Included is a bar with a watch band attached to it – probably the one shown in the picture of Miller.

The steel is in excellent condition, with a few nicks to the paint and what may be a replacement (but still old) tuner. One tuner has a bent knob but is still functional. A spare nut and bridge blank are included (based on my double-neck, I think the originals are still installed on this one). The case has lots of wear to the covering but is structurally in great shape with all latches working. Although Charlie Miller played lefty, I currently have the steel strung righty in A6 tuning. I've also added decal fret markers (see last photos) but these can be peeled right off if you don't want them.

I'm asking $SOLD including Paypal fees and shipping within the continental US.

Last edited by Noah Miller on 31 Mar 2021 3:28 pm; edited 3 times in total
Tal Herbsman

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2021 11:13 am    

Hi Noah. sent you an email on an unrelated matter!
Mark Helm

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2021 5:24 pm     Whoa!!

That is SO Cool!

I thought the Trotmore steels were cast aluminum. My buddy, Jeff Kearns owns Jerry Byrd's 7-string Trotmore, which is cast aluminum in the distinctive Trotmore shape w/ a Rick horseshoe pup.
Remington Steelmaster S8 w/ custom Steeltronics pickup. Vox MV-50 amplifier + an 1940's Oahu cab w/ 8" American Vintage speaker. J. Mascis Fender Squire Jazzmaster, Hofner Club bass, Ibanez AVN4-VMS Artwood Vintage Series Concert Size Acoustic Guitar. 1920s/30s Supertone Hawaiian-themed parlor guitar. Silvertone parlor guitar.
Noah Miller

Rocky Hill, CT
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2021 5:30 pm    

They are aluminum. Some sources - like that article - mistankenly call them magnesium, but I was able to test this particular one using a nondestructive method called XRF and it was unambiguously an Al alloy. There may have been small amounts of magnesium added for strength, which lead to some confusion.

I have read on this forum that one or two wood-bodied Trotmores were made, but this isn't one of them.
Noah Miller

Rocky Hill, CT
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2021 3:49 am    

Price drop.
Noah Miller

Rocky Hill, CT
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2021 1:00 pm    

Bump!