Reply to topic
Author Topic:  The one that got away
b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2021 10:32 pm    

20 years ago, I sold a pedal steel that I should have kept. Check it out:

https://steelguitarforum.com/b0b/swd10.html

Sold on the Forum.
https://steelguitarforum.com/Archives/Archive-000004/HTML/20040616-3-006382.html

Did you ever sell a steel that you should have kept?

Langford, BC, Canada
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2021 11:11 pm    

Two. Prettiest guitars I’ve seen. Both played beautifully and sounded fine.

Just couldn’t justify that much money tied up in an extra guitar.

Second was a sunburst lacquer Rittenberry SD-10. Don’t even have a picture of that one. Decided I needed a C6 neck
Was probably correct.
Ken Pippus

Langford, BC, Canada
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2021 11:15 pm    

I do however, have these two two to atone for my esthetic compromise.

Ken Pippus

Langford, BC, Canada
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2021 11:17 pm    

Honestly, I wish I could have kept them all. Would not have been well received by she who must be obeyed.
Marty Broussard

Broussard, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2021 11:51 pm    

A Sho ~Bud, The Professional D10 with 2 knee-levers. Should have had more levers added and kept it.

An Indigo Blue Derby D10. Should have found someone who would have been willing to attempt a repair of the cracked body caused by an abusive roadie.

"Technique is really the elimination of the unnecessary..it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to achieve the smooth flow of energy and intent" Yehudi Menuhin
Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2021 4:32 am    

Yup. 7 of them.

But, I would settle for the Kline and 2 ZB Customs I had.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, Recording King Professional Dobro, NV400, NV112,Ibanez Gio guitar, Epiphone SG Special (open D slide guitar) . Playing for 54 years and still counting.

Last edited by Richard Sinkler on 29 Jan 2021 8:29 am; edited 1 time in total
Joe Krumel

Hermitage, Tn.
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2021 6:17 am    

Man...those are Beautiful guitars! I see why they stick in your memory. I had a ShoBud red Pro2 that I think of often.
David Nugent

Gum Spring, Va.
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2021 8:38 am    

There have been a few that I wish I had kept but consider myself fortunate in one instance. Sold a rather early model Mullen S-10 a while back and almost immediately regretted my decision. It recently was listed for sale and I was lucky enough to respond first, (nice to have her home!)
Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2021 8:58 am    

Yeah b0b; I remember that awesome Speedy West Marlen too...as one I wish I STILL HAD also.
It was truly it's own entity in sound and musical dynamics that could be had from it.
Ricky
Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2021 9:16 am    

Seller's Remorse big time. D10 Mullen. Absolutely best guitar ever I owned. Tone to die for. Fit like a glove. Almost played itself. I got another guitar for cheap and sold the Mullen to a local player for it's worth to help with finances. Biggest mistake ever. Been kicking myself ever since.

I've dropped several hints about buying it back, but he won't let it go.

I've owned several others since, fine quitars, but none of them measured up, so I just sold completely out.

It's like the song "If I Can't Have You, I Don't Want Nobody Else." It was that good.

I also owned a D10 Emmons cut tail 10+6 with rare basket weave covering back in the 80s, 90s that I sold for way too cheap when I took up U14s for a while. I should have kept it too, but I don't lament it's absence nearly as much as that special Mullen.
Dave Hopping

Aurora, Colorado
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2021 12:05 pm    

Been lucky that way-- the only one I sold was my first,a Fender/Sho-Bud 3+ 1. An OK guitar, but 1 KL is kinda limiting. The other 4 are right here at home.
Brandon Schafer

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2021 1:19 pm    

My first guitar, which was a Sho-Bud Pro III: https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=245229&highlight=

It wasn’t much to look at, but it sounded so good! Knowing what I know now, I would have tried to restore it, “just because”.
Mike Vallandigham

Martinez, CA
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2021 1:44 pm    

Ken Pippus wrote:
Two. Prettiest guitars I’ve seen. Both played beautifully and sounded fine.

Just couldn’t justify that much money tied up in an extra guitar.

Second was a sunburst lacquer Rittenberry SD-10. Don’t even have a picture of that one. Decided I needed a C6 neck
Was probably correct.

Holy smokes, Ken. That Mullen. Wood necks and all.
I'd miss it too. It's a beauty.
Colin Swinney

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2021 3:38 pm    

I sold a red lacquer MSA D-10 about seven years ago that I think about all the time. My wife and I had moved to San Diego to a 500 square foot apartment, though I swear it was even smaller than that! We had an ocean view but there was no room to set up the guitar anywhere. Maybe someday I’ll find one again.

Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2021 7:50 pm    

I've sold a bunch, but I've been pretty good about hanging onto the steels that I should have. I made one big mistake - but I was lucky and got it back. It cost me a couple grand extra, but it was worth it.

Now on guitars - that's a whole 'nother story. It's enough to make a grown man cry! Don't get me started! Exclamation Evil or Very Mad Mad
Dennis Montgomery

Western Washington
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2021 1:50 pm    

I've sold quite a few over the years, the first 3 were that old familiar story: "rock guitar player buys pedal steel...struggles with it for a year...throws in the towel and goes back to 6 string...sells pedal steel for pennies on the dollar because there are no pedal steel players within 250 miles" Laughing

Of those 3 (and the 3 I've sold since) I only ever regretted selling one. In 2006 I bought a brand new Carter SD10 (or as they called it an "S-10DB") direct from the factory in Mesquite TX. Beautiful instrument, light colored mica with a black arm rest with a rose of Texas design on it. Don't remember the model name but it was the most expensive single 10 they made and I think it cost me around $3500. Never got the hang of playing and didn't know how to loosen tension of the pedals which were really stiff so sold it 5 years later. As I mentioned, there was no one within 250 miles of me that could help and I had no idea there was a steelguitarforum where I could have gotten some help working on the pedal tension. I always wondered where that Carter wound up. Oh well...I'm happier I ended up with my Mullen 12 string so all's well that ends well Winking

Hear my album, "Armistice" featuring Fender 400 on every song:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLfXm8aXRTFz2Pz_GXhvmjne7lPEtsplyW

Hear my Pedal Steel Only playlist featuring Mullen G2 SD12 on covers like Candyman, Wild Horses, Across the Universe & more...
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLfXm8aXRTFz2f0JOyiXpZyzNrvnJObliA
Scott Hiestand

MA, U.S.A
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2021 3:41 pm    

Two. My very first steel, a P/P baby blue Emmons S-10 with pad I bought from Bobbe Seymour and eventually sold back to him. Bad move.

Then a ZB Custom D-10 (Billy Knowles rebuild) which I sold on here. Bad move again.

These were the 2 best sounding steels I ever owned.
Jim Pitman

Waterbury Ctr. VT 05677 USA
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2021 10:08 pm    

That was an interesting ~ year 2000 post Bob.
One would be lucky to even touch that price multiplied by three 21 years later.
b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2021 11:36 pm    

I'm still using that volume pedal, Jim. Mr. Green

Nacogdoches, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2021 2:27 am    

Pre RP Mullen D10 8/7, Zum 3/4, Carter S-10 3/4, previous Cougar SD-10 3/4 & GFI S-10 3/4, Fender Steel King, 2 Peavey Session 500's, Peavey Nashville 400, Boss DD-3, Profex-II, Hilton Digital Sustain, '88 Les Paul Custom,Epiphone MBIBG J-45, Fender Strat & Tele's, Takamine acoustics, Marshall amps, Boss effects, Ibanez Tube Screamer, and it all started with an old cranky worn out Kay acoustic you could slide a Mack truck between the strings and fretboard on!!
Patrick Huey

Nacogdoches, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2021 2:32 am    

A few years ago my friend David offered me this Bryan Adams 8p 10K push-pull at $1,000 less than he was gonna sell it on the Forum for and I am still kicking myself to this day for not selling a lung or kidney to buy it. It was the absolute epitome of p/p tone! That awesome “GROWLY-TWANG” in spades and played just almost as smoothly and easily as my pre RP Mullen. 😖🥲
Pre RP Mullen D10 8/7, Zum 3/4, Carter S-10 3/4, previous Cougar SD-10 3/4 & GFI S-10 3/4, Fender Steel King, 2 Peavey Session 500's, Peavey Nashville 400, Boss DD-3, Profex-II, Hilton Digital Sustain, '88 Les Paul Custom,Epiphone MBIBG J-45, Fender Strat & Tele's, Takamine acoustics, Marshall amps, Boss effects, Ibanez Tube Screamer, and it all started with an old cranky worn out Kay acoustic you could slide a Mack truck between the strings and fretboard on!!
Andrew Goulet

Post  Posted 3 Feb 2021 9:17 am    

b0b, you inspired me greatly with that copedent when I was reworking my Marlen. The spirit lives on.

Compton Ca
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2021 10:23 pm    

What would one of those early pre '70s Emmons s10 be worth now, 3 pedals, 1 knee
Keith Bolog

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2021 8:59 am     none

Zero regrets. Living the dream

Wellington, Florida
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2021 9:21 am    

My first "rear" steel guitar, a 1940's Gibson Console Grande D8

I sold it in the late 80's with it's original pink plush case, because I was traveling the world. Got "good" money for it and could buy one for the same money, I am sure... but THIS one was mine.

... J-D

Was it JFK who said: Ask Not What TAB Can Do For You - Rather Ask Yourself "What Would B.B. King Do?"

A Little Mental Health Warning:

Tablature KILLS SKILLS.
The uses of Tablature is addictive and has been linked to reduced musical fertility.
Those who produce Tablature did never use it.

I say it humorously, but I mean it.