| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Cajun Music Radio (Streaming App)
Marty Broussard

Broussard, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2021 10:57 am    

Andy Volk’s current thread prompted me to do this.

If you want to hear the golden era of a Cajun Music Radio broadcasting that we grew up listening to you should Google “Cajun Music Radio” and download the app.

You want to listen on Saturday mornings from 8-9am CST to the Jerry Dugas radio program. You will be listening to tapes of the best Cajun DJ that ever worked at that craft. You’ll hear his commercial/Sponsor advertisements, etc done with true professionalism....all in French. You’ll hear Steelguitar on 99.9999% of the songs..

His programs originally aired on Friday and Saturday mornings from 8am to 12pm. My brother and I would listen to his opening theme song on Friday mornings in the school parking lot and then report to our home room class just before the 8:10am tardy bell...LoL

"Technique is really the elimination of the unnecessary..it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to achieve the smooth flow of energy and intent" Yehudi Menuhin

Last edited by Marty Broussard on 15 Jan 2021 7:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2021 3:09 pm    

Thanks for the heads up.

Here is a thread I started a few years ago.

I love these old videos.

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=161106

Lee
Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2021 6:22 am    

That Cajun music scene is a wild one. In the late 80s I drove around the plains with my wife for a weekend looking for DL Menard. I loved that music and I wanted to hear it where it lived. Marc Savoy told me about a restaurant gig DL was playing so I got to hang out with him for an evening. He got to telling stories. When I got back to NYC I called him and tried to buy a chair but that’s another story. He has his own way !

Post  Posted 6 Jan 2021 6:32 am    

Checkout the video with the link below. This is one surviving episode of a Saturday afternoon Cajun French Show featuring the famous Aldus Roger and the Lafayette Playboys. You can witness the sponsorship spot with Schlitz beer, etc. ...all spoken in French.

https://youtu.be/DcWUbzZszTY

"Technique is really the elimination of the unnecessary..it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to achieve the smooth flow of energy and intent" Yehudi Menuhin
Marty Broussard

Post  Posted 6 Jan 2021 6:39 am    

Look at this video from 1982. It’s my brother playing accordion and I’m playing my new black Sho-Bud Super Pro with the rear neck tuned to G thru my Randall RG-300 amp.
My cousin is on bass. The older gentlemen on drums and fiddle brought us into their band when I was 11 and my brother was 13.

https://youtu.be/hUncTyMEGRw

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2021 2:18 pm    

Marty that was very cool. Wonderful happy times in your culture with music, food and dance.
Edward Efira

California, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2021 4:42 pm    

When I'm in abbeville I always listen to KBON, https://www.kbon.com/

Post  Posted 9 Jan 2021 7:57 am    

Listened to Cajun Music Radio at 8:00am to 9:00am and heard the best Cajun DJ to ever work the craft——Jerry Dugas. Listen to the tapes of his program from the 70’s via their streaming app. The entire program including commercials is in French.

Marty Broussard

Post  Posted 9 Jan 2021 7:59 am    

Edward, now I’m listening to KBON. 👍👍
Childhood memories are gushing.

Edward Efira

California, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2021 5:33 pm    

There was a Music shop near Abbeville where they had Jam sessions every Sunday morning, and then people would flock to a bar nearby where there was a live radio going on. Do you know which station it is(was)?

Post  Posted 9 Jan 2021 5:47 pm    

Edward,
No, I’ve been away from this area for about 7 years—and now not much is happening that I’ve heard of.

Joe Cook

Lake Osoyoos, WA
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2021 10:25 am    

Thanks for taking me back to some old memories, Marty! My family is from Breaux Bridge, Lafayette area. In the 70s when I first started playing, I would attend a jam at a man's house in Butte LaRose. That was some real music and it would go on 'til late. I couldn't keep up with them or understand much of what was said! It was a very fun time to be there.
Marty Broussard

Post  Posted 11 Jan 2021 11:00 am    

Joe, glad you’re enjoying it. I know I am. Not being able to tour sucks, having the time to rest and find these things is doing my spirit good.

Tom Wilson

Mississippi, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2021 11:20 am    

Marty,
I lived in Sulphur from about 1957 to 1962. Our next door neighbors were Broussards. Are you related to anyone from there?
Marty Broussard

Post  Posted 11 Jan 2021 12:30 pm    

Tom,
All of the Broussards in south LA are kin...LoL. Two brothers who were part of the Grand Deportation came to south LA in the 1700’s and started the whole klan.

Sounds like you were stationed at Chennault or building refineries while you were down here...???

Tom Wilson

Mississippi, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2021 5:10 pm    

Marty Broussard wrote:
Tom,
All of the Broussards in south LA are kin...LoL. Two brothers who were part of the Grand Deportation came to south LA in the 1700’s and started the whole klan.

Sounds like you were stationed at Chennault or building refineries while you were down here...???

Marty, I’m old but not that old. Lol. My Dad worked at the Conoco refinery. I was about 11 years old when we left Sulphur and moved to Baker. I have some really good memories of those years.
At least once a month in the summers there would be cookouts with great Cajun food and bbq. There was always plenty of music playing and dancing. Joanie Broussard was my first kiss <G>. Tasted Falstaf beer when no one was looking .
Marty Broussard

Post  Posted 14 Jan 2021 5:26 pm    

Ah yeah, Falstaf.

Marty Broussard

Post  Posted 15 Jan 2021 7:16 pm    

Download the Cajun Music Radio app and stream it tomorrow morning at 8:00am CST to hear Jerry Dugas’ old programs!!

Lee Thompson

LA, CA
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2021 11:43 pm    

This is a wonderful Cajun and classic country station out of ville platte

Kvpi 1050am

https://kvpionline.com/music/cajun-music

Could be the one Edward is thinking of. Cajun all day Saturday with live broadcast from Fred’s Lounge in Mamou
Marty Broussard

Post  Posted 16 Jan 2021 5:25 am    

Lee,
A great addition to the list!! Down here it’s a right of passage to play at Fred’s....I remember when I did for sure. You can YouTube search for Nathan Abshire and see some good authentic scenes and maybe see “Aunte Sue“ (Taunt Sue) Leading the good times with a bottle of Hot Damn holstered on her side. Lol

Lee Thompson

LA, CA
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2021 12:01 am    

Thanks Marty. I found some Nathan footage and really enjoyed it. My friends from Houston put me onto kvpi. I listen regularly from out here but have never been down there. I look forward to it someday when the coast is clear. Hope you can get back out on the road soon too.