| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Changing from 6th String 22W to 22P
Ken Mizell

Lakeland, Florida, 33809, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2021 3:56 pm    

I'm going to put a fresh set of strings on my used BMI that I recently bought. I'd like to use a 22P on the 6th string instead of 22W. Will there be any problems with this, such as having to change the hole in the bell crank up a notch?

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2021 4:55 pm    

Yes. The .022p will us a different hole in the bell crank, closer to the body of the guitar. Most people use a .020p these days.

Lakeland, Florida, 33809, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2021 5:10 pm    

Noted, and thanks a lot b0b.

The Great Northwest
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2021 5:35 pm    

Iรขโ‚ฌโ„ขve used a 22p for years. I think the 6th string sounds much better with the larger gauge. No problems raising it to A or lowering to F#.
Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2021 9:17 pm    

Tony Glassman wrote:
Iรขโ‚ฌโ„ขve used a 22p for years. I think the 6th string sounds much better with the larger gauge. No problems raising it to A or lowering to F#.

I agree with Tony. Been using a .022p for much of my 50 years of playing. Tried a .020, and it just seemed weak to me. Kind of like using a .010 on the 3rd string. Never cared much for a wound on string 6 either.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, Recording King Professional Dobro, NV400, NV112,Ibanez Gio guitar, Epiphone SG Special (open D slide guitar) . Playing for 54 years and still counting.
Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2021 12:51 am    

My first guitar used a 22 wound and sounded fantastic, but it was a pull-release with single coil pickups. The 6,8,10 grip hรƒย d real growl.

My modern instruments sound better with plain. Also it's a no-brainer on a uni - who would put a wound 4th on their C6?
Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2021 7:33 am    

I use a 22 plain.
I drop the 6th string from G# to F# and on some pedal steels you weren't able to do that with a wound string. Very Happy
Erv
Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2021 7:48 am    

Erv is right. That old instrument I referred to didn't have that change, so it wasn't a problem.
J D Sauser

Wellington, Florida
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2021 10:30 am    

One of the things one has to consider is OVERALL string length vs. tension.
The shorter the over ALL length, the lower the tension to get the same note.
The lower the tension, the lesser the tuning stability and thus the higher intonation issues (detuning due to bar pressure and cabinet drop and mechanical imprecisions).

I have a 24 1/4 scale U12 and evidently the key head is over an inch longer than on a 10 string neck. Some uses o.o20p because the over all string length is sufficient. To ME it's not enough tension and I will experiment with a 22p or 22w.

On a 24" 10 string this may be too short for a 20p and thus too wobbly. Most went the BE way to a o.o22p. Many theorize that a "big" part of his tone came from that "thick" plain string, when many used a wound in it's place.

Now, on a KEYLESS guitar, that string (6th string... so right on the farthest out post on a Key HEAD... becomes IMO WAY too short and thus the string tension becomes too low secure good tone and tuning stability.

I got a Keyless 25" and got to go up to 24W to get a balanced string tension for 6th string G#.

... J-D.

Was it JFK who said: Ask Not What TAB Can Do For You - Rather Ask Yourself "What Would B.B. King Do?"

A Little Mental Health Warning:

Tablature KILLS SKILLS.
The uses of Tablature is addictive and has been linked to reduced musical fertility.
Those who produce Tablature did never use it.

I say it humorously, but I mean it.
Tucker Jackson

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2021 10:44 am    

J D Sauser wrote:
The lower the tension, the lesser the tuning stability and thus the higher intonation issues (detuning due to bar pressure and cabinet drop and mechanical imprecisions).

Exactly, J.D.

The shorter 24" scale length of Sho-Bud and Carter guitars is why a plain 6th is going to be harder to keep in tune than a wound string of the same gauge. This is probably why Lloyd Green and Ricky Davis have wound 6ths on their Buds.

Meanwhile, a plain 6th string will have less tuning issues on most other guitars that have the more common 24-1/4" scale length. Still, a wound will 'stay on its note' a little better if tuning is your priority.
J D Sauser

Wellington, Florida
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2021 10:59 am    

Tucker Jackson wrote:
J D Sauser wrote:

Exactly, J.D.

The shorter 24" scale length of Sho-Bud and Carter guitars is why a plain 6th is going to be harder to keep in tune than a wound string of the same gauge. This is probably why Lloyd Green and Ricky Davis have wound 6ths on their Buds.

Meanwhile, a plain 6th string will have less tuning issues on most other guitars that have the more common 24-1/4" scale length. Still, a wound will 'stay on its note' a little better if tuning is your priority.

Ye'Sir.
I also mentioned "Keyless" because a good number of BMI (original post) were KeyLess guitars, even though it was not mentioned if it is a keyed or keyless guitar Ken Mizell bought.

Was it JFK who said: Ask Not What TAB Can Do For You - Rather Ask Yourself "What Would B.B. King Do?"

A Little Mental Health Warning:

Tablature KILLS SKILLS.
The uses of Tablature is addictive and has been linked to reduced musical fertility.
Those who produce Tablature did never use it.

I say it humorously, but I mean it.
b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2021 11:12 am    

I carry 4 different brands of E9th string sets in the Forum online store (links at top of this page). All of the sets from GHS and D'Addario have .020 plain. John Pearse and S.I.T. both offer sets with .022 plain.

None of the pre-packaged sets from these 4 manufacturers offer a .022 wound string. I package a GHS stainless wound set for Stage One guitars that should work well on other pull-release instruments (Sho~Bud Maverick, Carter Starter, etc.). Here's the link for that: www.steelguitarshopper.com/e9th-wound-6th-for-stage-one. If you prefer nickel with .022 wound, you can assemble a custom set from GHS or D'Addario singles at the site.