| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  How many tunings do you use?
Andrew Frost

Toronto, Ontario
Post  Posted 19 Dec 2020 7:43 pm    

Pretty common to have a grip on E9 & C6...
Any players ACTIVELY using standard D10 tunings PLUS universal or variant tunings?

A lot of players own different instruments with different tunings, but I'm talking about regular practice/playing on these varied set ups.
Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 19 Dec 2020 10:58 pm    

Yes - I have a few D10s (E9/C6) and a couple of E9/B6 universals, as well as several non-pedal steels in various tunings (mostly 6th or 7th based), and play/gig with all of them - and hope that will resume at some point once this pandemic has, Lord willing, subsided. Slide guitar mostly in straight major tunings - lo-hi 1 5 1 3 5 1 Vestapol and 5 1 5 1 3 5 Robert Johnson type tuning. And standard guitar, that I sometimes vary tunings on - Vestapol and variations, DADGAD, etc.

For me, it's about what tuning works for the material, and that depends on what I'm doing. I have to spend a few days re-acclimating my fingers to the different tunings if I'm gonna gig with something I haven't been focused on lately. But I see most all of these tunings fairly mathematically related to each other - they're all variations on a theme.

BTW, I wouldn't say I "have a grip" on pedal steel C6. But I'm workin' on it. Laughing
b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 19 Dec 2020 11:37 pm    

I used to play extended E9th and C6th, but now I play D6th. I also have a D9/G that I play sometimes. My lap steels are in D/G tunings too. I find that having the same root notes (D and G) on all of my guitars helps a lot. It took me a couple of years to get totally used to D, but now I'm real comfortable with it.

My tunings:
Tab:
   D6th    D9/G    D6th    D/G
   pedal   pedal   lap 8   lap 6
   E       E   
           C#
   F#      F#      F#
   D       D       D       D
   B               B
   A       A       A       A
   F#      F#      F#      F#
           E
   D       D       D       D
   B       B       B       B
   G       G       G       G
   D

Toronto, Ontario
Post  Posted 20 Dec 2020 11:16 pm    

Very cool. Sounds like you've got quite an eclectic assortment of tunings going on there Dave. It amazes me that the brain and body can retain all the nuanced memory required, and that it does indeed click in to place when it has to.

Bob, a part of me feels that the D6/D13 approach is a really good way to go. Those tunings you and Johnny Cox and others have been working on and posting are amazing.
For a few months I was really focused on an A6/D9 set up that worked in that same sort of range. Totally possible to really think in "D" eventually, but it sure takes a lot of time and willpower.