| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Upgrading mounting hardware for Carter Starter pedal-board
Matthew Davidson

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2020 7:05 am    

Hi all ! This is my first post to the forum ; glad to be here!

I am currently lowering the height of my Carter Starter.
Sawed three inches off the legs and ordered new rods to fit.

For those of you lucky enough not to be familiar with this particular mechanism, the pedal board (as in ABC rather than Comp-fuzz-delay) is designed to attach via stationary bolts which pass through holes drilled in the legs. Personally, i always found this to be a drag. You have to back off the tension of the rear legs to align the holes, so there is always some wobble. Since ive already cut the legs down, i thought i would explore an improved system rather than drill new holes.

Would really appreciate any guidance, places to order parts or common hardware store fixes; any pictures of your steels pedal board mounting hardware would be super helpful - this is a difficult thing to find online, as “pedal board” generally links to effects pedals. The Carter is the only steel i’ve every owned , so i dont have much knowledge of how higher grade instruments tackle this aspect.

Hope everyone is gearing up for a great holiday
Thanks for reading
Mat
Doug Earnest

Branson, MO USA
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2020 8:31 am    

If you do a good job of putting the mounting holes in the legs after you cut them down, the through bolt is the most secure system and you will not have any wobble issues.
Matthew Davidson

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2020 8:41 am    

Right on Doug!
I’d love to use the original system.
I guess i always assumed the orientation would be a little different each time the legs are screwed on. But now i’m starting to think it was just my wonky instrument.

Any tips on procedure ?
Thanks so much for your time
Bob Sykes

North Carolina
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2020 11:40 am    

Welcome to pedal steel and the forum!

The original method of fixing the pedal board is like this.

Doug Earnest

Branson, MO USA
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2020 11:55 am    

Screw the legs in real nice and snug.

I assume the bolts in the Starter pedal rack stay in place all the time, I have not seen one for a long time.

Color the front side of the bottom of the legs with a dark colored magic marker. Now you can use the pedal rack as a straight edge and slide it up and down on the colored area to make a mark that will be on the center of the leg. Take a look and verify that the bolts will be in line with the mark you have created. They should be but you don't know for sure unless you look. (This is just one way to find center, but it is well proven to work well. I have done hundreds of them that way.)

Use a punch of some sort to make a good dimple on the line at the point up from the end of the leg where your hole should be located. Use whatever means you have at your disposal to drill a hole of the proper diameter STRAIGHT through the leg, and do make sure it is straight.

You will now have a right and left leg that are not interchangeable, so mark them in some fashion.