| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Emmons pickup change
Bart Vervaeck

Belgium
Post  Posted 21 May 2021 6:18 am    

Hi all,

I'd like to change the PU's that are currently on my Emmons LL2. Wallace TT---> BL705's.

Never done this..., so would there be a thread about this issue? Can't seem to find one...

Thanks

B
George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 21 May 2021 6:56 am     Emmons pick up change

Personally, I think you're making a mistake changing the Wallace TT for a humbucker. I changed my original single coil for a Wallace and thought the string separation was a little better. I sold the guitar with both pickups so the new owner had the option of going back to the original pickup if they so desired. Emmons guitars and single coil pickups are a match made in heaven. If you're concerned about a hum with your single coil,let me say I only had this problem in three venues in 50 years.It's easily solved with an Electro Harmonix De Bugger. It even takes away the circuit noise and does not change the tone. I keep one in my seat all the time, just in case. If you are thinking a humbucker is going to improve your tone, my opinion is guess again. I have had them. I'll take a single coil any day of the week over a humbucker.
Bart Vervaeck

Belgium
Post  Posted 21 May 2021 8:12 am    

Thanks George for your reply... I guess it's a matter of taste, and musical genre, and maybe versatility....? I also really like the single coil, but indeed, it's the hum that bothers me... I will try the hum debugger.... Thanks!!
Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 21 May 2021 11:15 am    

I'm the opposite. I don't think there is anything very special about the True Tones and that I personally would go with the 705. Extra gizmos like a debugger usually create more problems than they solve in my experience. They are very useful in an emergency though.

BTW: There is nothing tricky about swapping those pickups. Unscrew the selector switch plate on top of the steel to get at the connections.