| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Hard case for Hipshot Double-shot equiped resonator guitar?
Jonathan Neher

Near Eugene, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2020 5:28 pm    

Hi,
I just put a Hipshot Double-shot on my Beard dobro. It increases the
thickness of the guitar by almost 1 inch. I'm wondering if anyone out there knows about a hard-shell case option for an instrument like this?
Beard has a case called "extra deep" but is out of stock and I'd like to consider other options if they exist. If you have any info to share on this, please message me.

Thanks,
Jon
Zum Encore S10, Harbor Lights 8-string non-pedal, Asher Electro Hawaiian 1 6 string, Beard Dobros, Eastman Mandolin, '59 Tele, Ibanez John Scofield Semi-hollow body, Taylor 615ce, Martin and Yamaha Saxophones.
rodger_mcbride

Minnesota
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2020 7:11 pm    

I have the extra deep TKL case that Beard supplied with my DoubleShot and it’s a beast.

I later bought an Arch top classical size case from Crossrock and it fits tight, but half the mass of the TKL. (Amazon is great for returns if the fit is wrong).

It also fits into a well padded Reunion Blues gigbag
Jonathan Neher

Near Eugene, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2020 10:24 pm     crossrock model number?

Thanks Rodger.

Do you have the model number for that crossrock case?

Thanks,

Jon
Zum Encore S10, Harbor Lights 8-string non-pedal, Asher Electro Hawaiian 1 6 string, Beard Dobros, Eastman Mandolin, '59 Tele, Ibanez John Scofield Semi-hollow body, Taylor 615ce, Martin and Yamaha Saxophones.
rodger_mcbride

Minnesota
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2020 9:09 am    

I bought it used from Amazon warehouse at a significant discount and it was like new. Depending on the size of your guitar what I bought may not be a good fit. I’m also not afraid of modifying a case (i.e, the padding) if it fits overall and is close. My particular guitar is quite heavy + the weight of the Doubleshot and the TKL case is heavy too. 8-(
With a bit of web searching, you can find the dimensions of the various case styles and materials. I thought the cross rock case is well made and worth a look. The gig bag route is a great festival bag. Good luck with your search!
Jonathan Neher

Near Eugene, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2020 11:01 am     Hipshot compatible cases

Thanks again Rodger,

I think I found the Crossrock one you are talking about (see below). The measurements look good for
my Jerry Douglas signature model (E-Body) as
long as the 5.5 inch depth works. I think I'll give it a try. The price is right.

I have one of those soft cases Beard sells for my
Copper Mountain (which has a double-shot on it).

I have a Reunion Blues well padded case for my Gibson 335 but It probably is not deep enough for the E-body.

Acoustic Classical Guitar Wooden Case – Hard-shell Arch Top for Classical Nylon String, Vinyl Tweed(CRW600CTW)
DETAILS
overview
features

Fit most Nylon String 4/4 full size Classical Guitars.
Ultra-strong arched top design offers heavy duty protection than standard flat top cases.
Upgraded deluxe gold latches, high quality tweed PVC covered and hinges provides protection against the damages, dings, and bumps.
Heavy duty 5-ply wood core structure provides strength and protection for your guitar, whether in transit or in storage.

Inside Dimensions
Overall Length: 102 cm (40.1 in)
Body Length: 55.5 cm (21.8 in)
Upper Bout: 30 cm (11.8 in)
Waist: 28 cm (11 in)
Lower Bout: 39 cm (15.3 in)
Body Depth: 14 cm (5.5 in)
Jonathan Neher

Near Eugene, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2020 5:11 pm     Crossrock Case

Hi again Rodger.

I measured my Beard Jerry Douglas and it's dimensions
are all just a little bit smaller than the inner dimensions of the Crossrock case. I measured the
double-shot on my Copper Creek and it requires just short of an extra 1.5" which with the JD body
being 4" deep should be exactly right for the 5.5"
inner depth of the Crossrock. Adding padding is fine (rather than trying to remove it). I think I'll pick one up and see if I can make it work.

Thanks for the help.

Jon
rodger_mcbride

Minnesota
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2020 5:57 am    

On my case, I ended up cutting a bit of the padding on the top lid right where it touched the back top of the Doubleshot. Glad to help!
Jonathan Neher

Near Eugene, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 15 Dec 2020 1:00 pm     Extra Deep TKL Case

Hi Roger,

Would you want to sell your Extra Deep TKL?

I've also got a nice Calton case that fits
and E-body if you know of anyone who might be interested in something like that.

Thanks,

Jon
rodger_mcbride

Minnesota
Post  Posted 16 Dec 2020 6:23 am    

Not at this time, it’s useful to have multiple case options that can fit various guitars; for flying, another for festivals, etc.
Jonathan Neher

Near Eugene, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 16 Dec 2020 1:24 pm     Cases

Thanks Rodger,

Just checking. Have good holidays.

Jon