| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  what does it cost???
Roy Thomas

Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2020 12:07 pm    

well that is a very good subject and some do not realize how much. granted cost can vary according to if it is on hand or not but aside that:
popular @ 2.75 board/ft X 2 = 13.75
grover mini machines X 8.30 = 66.40
sit strings = 8.00
emg ses pickup single coil = 40.00
pots = 15.00
finish = 30.00 (varies)
case panels = 10.00
case edging = 12.00
case hinges (3) = 4.17
case latch (2) = 5.70
case latch locking = 7.80
case corners (low end) 1.64 x 8 = 13.12
acoustic carpet 2 yd @ 6.71 = 13.42
fret board (metal) = 35.00

so that puts it into the 275.00 range, not counting other things like glue, fasteners and energy. that is even before labor is even considered.
so

there you have it. depending upon bells and whistles, a s10 pedal can run material wise easily 1100.00 and up.
George Piburn

The Land of Enchantment New Mexico
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2020 6:41 am     Add other critical parts cost

Let's not forget to Add other critical parts cost

Custom milled nut and bridge set, custom made fretboard cost of silkscreen or what ever process to make it.
Setup fees charged by other companies to make parts, like fretboards - logo's - labels - anything farmed out.

Jigs - Fixtures - Expertise to lay it all out and place everything in it's correct positions.

Special thanks to Roy, for helping me with my machining designs over 20 years ago.
YouTube Channel
Dom Franco

Beaverton, OR, 97007
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2020 7:43 am    

As a steel guitar builder(and seller) It is a labor of love.
I have had to consider my build time free...as you have demonstrated. I don't think I make $1.00 per hour even if I got all the parts you listed free!

I also must add drive time and vehicle cost to and from the hardware store, post office, music store etc. And the time it takes to pack and ship the steel guitar along with postage!

It's more of a hobby than a business for me. So if I break even I'm happy.

Atlanta Ga. USA
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2020 10:36 am    

Job Outlook
The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics doesn't forecast jobs for luthiers. But it projects only a 2 percent increase in employment for musical instrument repairers and tuners -- functions luthiers also perform -- from 2010 to 2020, which is much slower than average. Jobs for luthiers are likely contingent on guitar or musical instrument sales. After double-digit sales increases from 2007 to 2009, musical instrument sales grew by only 4.6 and 5.7 percent in 2010 and 2011, respectively, according to the Music Trades Online. Sales are expected to decrease 0.9 percent in 2012, which may slow job growth for luthiers.

these figures are for 2010-20. music industry is much worse now.
Roy Thomas

Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2020 1:08 pm    

my father always told me you have to be crazy to want to build steel guitars. i get his point, confined space and tiny parts and big hands do not mix well. what amazed me is how long he built with macular degeneration as a BIG obstacle.
i always followed his direction on making parts and he made the guitars even though i did a few of them. what do i get out of it, well hummmm??
the challenge, you come across something not working out and finding the solution. his mind is still sharp.
you are right about labor, especially so when you build at a whim, got a 3 leg console on the bench, why, well some one here mentioned he wanted one and i wanted to see if i can, i am using some reclaimed parts from a 1953 fender. i probably will build till all of his inventory is gone, i hated to sell it for scrap price.
steel guitar is a niche market and a fickle one at that. i only wish i could play one. the 6 string pedal steel i made, i can put an open "E" on it and can do like playing my regular guitar, make sense, so i take my hat off to those who can play.
if i could play like robert randolf, i'd be flying high!!!