| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Hansa Veena tuning and string gauges
Jim Robertson

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2020 5:40 pm    

Hi gang,

I posted this in a different forum. Sorry.

Does anyone here know the “standard” tuning for the main strings of a Hansa Veena? I can handle the chikari and sympathetic strings! Plus, do you have any suggestions for string gauges?

Thanks loads,

Jim Robertson
Brad Bechtel

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2020 8:44 am    

I hadn't heard of this instrument before this. I would contact the creator, Barun Kumar Pal, via his website or Facebook to see what he recommends. Good luck!
Nic Neufeld

Kansas City, Missouri
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2020 10:23 am    

Agreed, Barun Pal is going to be the best source. Post what you find!

Other sources...Lars from Rain City Music would be one person I'd check with, particularly on string gauges, and getting quality strings. The Hansa Veena is less of a fixed adaptation of a guitar (like the other slide veenas) so it is possible the scale length may be variable which would impact your gauge choice. I don't know how much Tony Karasek knows about these instruments...he worked closely with PRS, and I think Barun Pal was a disciple of him (PRS) so he may know a bit more too.

I used to hang out on the chandrakantha forum a ton, haven't been there in years, so seeing this question I was moderately confused where I was Smile

PS if you have one, would love to see pics of it! Been considering one of these for years. I studied Imdadkhani gharana (sitar/surbahar) although lack of practice has made my ability dry up pretty badly...
Nic Neufeld

Kansas City, Missouri
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2020 10:55 am    

If this is helpful...

From views of some instruments it looks like there are 3-4 chikari (likely the usual sitar Sa''-Sa'-Pa, possibly with a fourth for Imdadkhani sitar type chik (ga, or another pa).

I'm mixed on what the string setup is for the mains...it looks like (unlike the sitar, and like other slide veenas) the baj / main string is Sa. Next one down is definitely Pa, and then another low Sa. I'm not sure if another 4th string exists...and whether it would be Pa again or a deeper low bass Sa. But from watching video of Pandit Barun Pal I at least saw a three string set he was playing on of S-P-S.

Oh, and he seems to tune to D for Sa, likely that instruments made to his expectations would be intended likewise...
Jim Robertson

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2020 3:01 pm    

Hi Brad and Nic,

Thanks for the advice. I’ve written Pt. Pal and am waiting to hear from him. I’ll post information when I have it.

Nic, I also lurked around the Chandrakantha site some years ago. I was studying Sarod in the Maihar gharana. And like you, I’ve drifted away. I posted the same questions on that forum, but no one replied. I guess the Hansa Veena is just too new fangled, even if Pt. Ravi Shankar helped design it.
Jim Robertson

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2020 8:14 am    

I’m still searching. I’ve contacted the builder with no success at this time. I’m thinking I’ll copy Sarod main string tuning: S-P-s-m. I’ll judge the gauges by string speaking length and the desired pitches. That leaves me with four more “main” strings: 2 chikaris and possibly two sympathetics. The remaining 13 are either chromatic, if I’m playing European Music, or tuned to the Raag. I should probably start my studies again if my teacher will tolerate such a modern instrument. Pt. Ravi Shankar’s connection should help if I need to be convincing.

Stay tuned! Pics and tuning decisions will be forthcoming. I can’t wait to hear those sympathetic strings on “Fireball Mail” or “Wabash Cannonball!”
Nic Neufeld

Kansas City, Missouri
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2020 1:48 pm    

There's a hansaveena group on FB:
https://www.facebook.com/pg/hansaveenaindia/posts/

And here's another player you could try contacting, if Pt Barun Pal does not respond:
https://www.ven-ram.com/home

From the FB site:
"Steel and Bronze Strings : The latest version of the instrument consists of 21 strings. 5 main strings, 4 rhythm (chikkari) strings and 12 sympathetic resonating strings (tarab)."

Picture seems to imply the main strings are two unwound and two wound. Most I've seen have 8 main string tuners (I think) so 5 main and 4 chikari would require 9...so maybe 5 main and SSP chikari, or 4 main and SSPG for the chikari. But for instance, this picture: https://www.facebook.com/hansaveenaindia/photos/a.1549330562007506/1549330328674196/

Shows four main strings, four chik.

Edited to add...just remembered I emailed Panditji a few years back. I asked if he had recommendations on makers and he mentioned this:

Quote:
There are in fact two instrument makers in Kolkata who are making and exporting Hansa Veenas since last 15yrs.
1. Monoj Kumar Sardar and Bros
2. Bhabasindhu Biswas of 'Conchord' Guitar maker
You can visit their websites. Sound wise Bhabasindhu's instruments are immediately sounding good and attractive but Monoj Sardar is third generation Sitar maker so uses high quality seasoned wood and technics. Price wise also Monoj Sardar's instruments are more reasonable while Bhabasindhu's instruments are very high in price as he gets his price from people who look for customized personalized instruments. I have both and even the first Hansa Veena I received from my Guruji, Pt Ravi Shankar made by M/S Rikhi Ram & Sons of Delhi. Most of my students are using Monoj Sardar instruments. At present I am touring with Bhabasindhu's instrument.
It is certainly your choice. All the best.

And bear this in mind, from Lars at Rain City:

Quote:
News as of 10/2020

Ok folks, unfortunately Bhabasindhu passed away recently which was very sad, he was quite the gentleman! Unfortunately the people who took over are not the same and so after various shenanigans I've had to discontinue these. I do not recommend ordering them directly as you're likely to receive it in several pieces with no recourse from "maker" or shipper. Be warned...

But no worries, we will be commissioning these to be made elsewhere. It'll take a bit but all is in process.

So the MKS instruments may be the safest bet at this point...
Jim Robertson

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2020 2:12 pm    

I’ll check out the group. I didn’t even think of that. In the meantime, Lars at Rain City was kind enough to send me the following:

MKS Hansa Veena tuning:

1st- SA - .016 steel (D)
2nd- PA - .020 steel (A)
3rd- SA - .022 bronze (D)
4th- PA - .025 bronze (A) or can use .025 wound 5th- SA - .040 wound (D)
6th-GA or NI - .016 steel (F#) or (C)
7th & 8th- PA/SA - .011 steel (A)/(D)
9th-SA - .009 steel
Sympathetics - .009 steel tuned to Raga scale with lowest note @ longest string.

SA/Tonic = key of D

String length 38”

Pics will be here soon, for all interested
Nic Neufeld

Kansas City, Missouri
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2020 2:34 pm    

Cool! that all makes sense.

I saw one of the veenas with 13 taraf...it could be that the high Sa chikari (that goes to that little post on the neck) actually is tuned by the taraf peg nearest the nut...giving you the nine total strings without having 8 tuners on the headstock...
Jim Robertson

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2020 6:00 pm    

You are very close in your observation. Actually, the 9th peg is about the 5th taraf tuner from the machine head. So, this one has 5 melody strings, three chikaris, and one so called drone string. That leaves a dozen tarafs which I currently have tuned like a Sitar’s.

The speaking length is 25”, by the way.