| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  New Lap Steel Pickup Now Available - Steeltronics Z Series
Scott Swartz

St. Louis, MO
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2020 9:58 am    

Introducing the Steeltronics Z Series single coil pickups, the only pickups on the market with the two row of magnets / steel baseplate / center pole piece design as used on vintage ZB steel guitars, now available for lap steels.

The Z Series pickups are wound to the same inductance as a typical ZB pickup when in the middle position on the selector switch, and the magnetic gauss levels measured at the strings is identical to original ZB pickups. A welcome upgrade is the fact that Z Series coils are wax potted to address the microphonic nature that ZB pickups can tend to have.

Z Series pickups give you the silky highs, tight lows, and the fast/precise transient response of original ZB pickups, in addition the Z Series pickups are also very quiet for a single coil (as are original ZB pickups) due to the unique magnetic circuit and how it interacts with the coil.

Here is an 8 string version mounted on a Sierra SL8 with the wide mount / four tab arrangement, pole spacing of 2.91 inch shown to match the Sierra, other spacings are available.

More information available in the Buy and Sell thread here:

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=358735

Mark Kocon

New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 7 Oct 2020 9:47 am    

Finally had these installed on my Sierra lap with the double George L’s. It would be hard to believe the Sierra could sound better, but these Z’s took it up a couple levels. Even the guy who installed them was impressed with the sound. I’m happy!
Scott Swartz

St. Louis, MO
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2020 8:09 am    

I put together a short sound file demonstrating the Z8 pickup on my Sierra lap steel, available here:

https://soundcloud.com/user-643102402/sierra-lap-steel-with-steeeltronics-z8-pickup
Scott Swartz

St. Louis, MO
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2020 7:32 pm    

I just completed a pair of these for a customer, a Z Series 8 string with 67 mm or 2-5/8 inch string spacing and a standard wide mount base plate. I also have an 8 string 65.5 mm or 2-9/16 spacing model ready to order.

Scott Swartz

St. Louis, MO
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2020 6:21 pm    

I have launched an e-commerce website for my pickups, with information and easy online ordering here:

www.steeltronics.com
David M Brown

California, USA
Post  Posted 17 Nov 2020 5:44 am    

Scott Swartz wrote:
I have launched an e-commerce website for my pickups, with information and easy online ordering here:

www.steeltronics.com

Do you plan to have any 8 string pickups soon?
Scott Swartz

St. Louis, MO
Post  Posted 17 Nov 2020 2:39 pm    

David, I am currently making them to order with a 4 week delivery time on the 8 string models. For the common 10 string pedal steel sizes I am keeping a few in stock, but on the 8 strings I need to get some experience on what sizes will be in demand. The good thing is if you need a different spacing or mounting I can tweak the 3d model, and still deliver it within the 4 weeks.
David M Brown

California, USA
Post  Posted 17 Nov 2020 3:58 pm    

Scott Swartz wrote:
David, I am currently making them to order with a 4 week delivery time on the 8 string models. For the common 10 string pedal steel sizes I am keeping a few in stock, but on the 8 strings I need to get some experience on what sizes will be in demand. The good thing is if you need a different spacing or mounting I can tweak the 3d model, and still deliver it within the 4 weeks.

Thanks. I'm considering replacing an 8 string pickup soon and was thinking of using one of yours.