| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  6 string tuning
Roy Fouts

Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 22 Oct 2020 9:19 am    

Many years ago as a young man I took lessons on an acoustic lap steel. At that time the tuning was High Bass AC#EAC#E. But some of the sheet music that I also played was marked
Amajor and I know was played without retuning. Could someone tell me the tuning for Amajor. I recall that towards the end of my lessons we retuned our guitars to E7 BDEG#BE. I have again tried to learn the lap steel and have 4 of them tuned to E7, C6, and High Bass. So I'm wondering about Open A. Would this be the tuning for Amajor? I am very definitely a beginner at this and would appreciate some help.
Brad Bechtel

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 22 Oct 2020 11:52 am    

Your High Bass A is two A major chords (A C# E). I would call that open A tuning, or A major tuning. Any of those names refer to the same set of notes you're using.

I've also seen open A tuning with the bass note being E, listed bass to treble as E A E A C# E.
Allan Revich

Victoria, BC
Post  Posted 22 Oct 2020 12:26 pm     Re: 6 string tuning

Roy Fouts wrote:
Many years ago as a young man I took lessons on an acoustic lap steel. At that time the tuning was High Bass AC#EAC#E. But some of the sheet music that I also played was marked
Amajor and I know was played without retuning. Could someone tell me the tuning for Amajor. I recall that towards the end of my lessons we retuned our guitars to E7 BDEG#BE. I have again tried to learn the lap steel and have 4 of them tuned to E7, C6, and High Bass. So I'm wondering about Open A. Would this be the tuning for Amajor? I am very definitely a beginner at this and would appreciate some help.

The three notes in an A major chord are:
A = root
C# = 3rd
E = 5th

Any tuning that consists of only these 3 notes would be an A major tuning. Most likely the High Bass A tuning (AC#EAC#E) is the tuning being referred to as A major tuning. Which could also be called Open A tuning.

The possibility exists though that a non-specific reference to “A major” refers to the other A tuning that Brad mentioned, EAEC#AE, a tuning derived from “standard” guitar tuning. This is also an Open A tuning, and might be referred to as A, low bass.

Finally, on a chart not specifically written for lap steel, “A major” might refer only to the song key that the chart is written for.

https://papadafoe.com/lap-steel-tuning-database
Roy Fouts

Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 22 Oct 2020 12:52 pm     6 string tuning

Wow! I had heard good things about the Steel Guitar forum and this proves it. Thanks for the timely good answers.
Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 23 Oct 2020 7:50 am    

You may find this site very helpful: https://www.hawaiiansteel.com

Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 23 Oct 2020 8:31 am     6 string tuning

Thanks Andy. Will do some checking.