| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Stringmaster Style Nut Issues
Ollin Landers

Willow Springs, NC
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2020 6:14 am    

I built a Champ clone and really like it with the exception of the nut. The nut does not seem to be properly cut for the string gauges I use. I'm using a fairly standard gauge set .015 .017 .022 .026 .030 .034

What can I use to cut the nut?
I assume the strings need to be even with the nut?
Not slightly raised Like a regular spanish guitar.

Would I do better taking it to a machine shop or just buying another nut?

I spent half my money on gambling, alcohol and wild women. The other half I wasted. W.C. Fields
Lee D Kaiser

California, USA
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2020 8:32 am    

I’ll have a go. I recently cut two nuts with this method, and they both came out fine.

For regular guitars, I use nut files, but for a lap steel, I’ve used a square jeweler’s file. Nut files may actually be preferred, but they are pricey. Here’s a link that can help: http://www.lutherie.net/nuts.html

You definitely don’t want the file wiggling around in the slot as you file, so loosen all the strings and move them off the nut. Place a block of wood on the fretboard, a little taller than the nut so that there’s about 10 degree angle of the file to the nut. File a little notch in the wood so that the file stays at 90 degrees to the nut. File each slot until the tops of all strings are parallel to the fretboard.

For the rear of the nut, I take the same file and file toward the tuning post for that string. Hard to say how much to file—maybe 1/3 of the width of the nut. Finally, smooth out the transition between the slots in the front and back of the nut for each string.

Alternatively, take the guitar to a luthier!
Ollin Landers

Willow Springs, NC
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2020 8:54 am    

Lee Thanks for your input. That's a great resource.

Just to be clear this is the nut I'm talking about.

This is what I need to achieve.

I'm not sure a jewelers file or even a proper nut file is what is needed. I may need to find a machine shop to do it properly.

I spent half my money on gambling, alcohol and wild women. The other half I wasted. W.C. Fields
Lee D Kaiser

California, USA
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2020 9:46 am    

I wasn't thinking of a nut like yours.

Before going any further, what do you mean by 'The nut does not seem to be properly cut for the string gauges I use.'

Is it that the string tops are not parallel? Sitar sound when an open string is plucked? Something else?
Ollin Landers

Willow Springs, NC
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2020 10:22 am    

Lee D Kaiser wrote:

Is it that the string tops are not parallel? Sitar sound when an open string is plucked? Something else?

1) Strings are not parallel. Some are higher than the nut.
2) Slight Sitar zing

Most annoying is the 1st and 3rd strings (plain) sound dead or dull compared to the others. The wound strings are mostly ok.

I can tell the strings are not flat. If I lightly rest the bar on all six strings there is an awful zing. I have to press fairly hard and strike the strings very lightly to get good tone. If I dig in and play hard I get some very noticeable buzzing. That's what makes me think it's the nut. And before you ask, I've been playing pedal steel for 25+ years. I have what I consider to be good right and left hand technique. My old Artisan/Rogue that I converted to a 22.5 scale sounds better than this one.

The nut and bridge are stainless so the only thing I can conclude is the nut not properly slotted is the problem. I've seen the exact issue on electric and acoustic spanish guitars.

I'm going to look for a good machinist that can make a nut since I plan on building more of these.

Lee D Kaiser

California, USA
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2020 11:15 am    

Ollin Landers wrote:

I'm going to look for a good machinist that can make a nut since I plan on building more of these.

Sounds good.

But, ... as a backyard luthier, I always want to make things work myself. If it were me, since I'd be getting new nuts anyway, I wouldn't mind if I wrecked this one. I'd stick it in a drill press or hand-held drill, put it on low speed, and use that jewelers file to deepen the slots that need it.

OK, I'll stop.
Ollin Landers

Willow Springs, NC
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2020 11:47 am    

Now that's not a bad idea. What file would you recommend?

Lee D Kaiser

California, USA
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2020 12:30 pm    

From the looks of it, the slots in that nut were cut on a lathe with a 90 degree bit. So, you'll want to use a square jeweler's file. Nice to have a set of jeweler's files if you don't already. I have a Swiss-made set I bought decades ago and a recently purchased Harbor Freight set made in China. Both sets work fine.

My square files measure about 0.1" across. You'll want to make sure that the slot the file cuts is not rounded at the bottom--that would be fine for large strings, but small strings may rattle around. So, test the file on the edge of a piece of metal first, and look closely for a nice sharp bottom of the slot.

Have fun!