| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Next Step from a Fessenden Six Shooter
Steve Kaplan

New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2021 7:33 am    

Hi Folks, I am new to PSG, and been playing guitar for more than 50 years. I have Fessenden Six Shooter, tuned to "Double E-Maj" BEG#BEG# and I have developed a good understanding of the chord and note patterns. I read music and studied jazz for 10 years.

Looking for opinions on what would be the next step "up" as far as a more expansive (and expensive LOL) PSG.

Thanks in advance!
John Macy

Rockport TX/Denver CO
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2021 8:48 am    

Find a Fessenden! I have two and love them!
John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2021 9:40 pm    

Next move should be to a single 10 E9. I recommend the Zumsteel Encore, worth the wait.
William Carter

Cedar Rapids, Iowa, USA
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2021 6:02 am    

If you like the Fessenden, get another one. Jerry's not making anymore, but I found a brand new one at Billy Cooper's shop last week. It was a very reasonable price. Worth your time to call and check it out. It's a S10 which is your logical next step, and it's a full pro model, not another entry level step up.
Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2021 10:12 am    

Many players seem happy with the Stage One. These are fixed setups, but very popular. I've even seen a pro of two play these.

I would guess the next step up from that would be the Encore or the Mullen Discovery. From there, there are many current pro builders from S10 to D10 and S12/14 Universals as well.

Try to go for as recent a guitar from a current builder as your budget allows.

I might be interested in the little red Six Shooter if you are looking to pass it on after you update. Lemme know.
Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2021 11:30 am    

There are frequent forum threads about this exact issue - "What's the next step up from a starter steel?". There are dozens if not hundreds out there. You'll see if you search for these that there are a very wide variety of opinions on this. I think it's worth listening to a lot of different perspectives - we are not all the same and our wants/needs are frequently different.

You've now been playing pedal steel for at least a little while now and seem to have decided you want to continue. So I think the key is to know (or figure out) what you want to play, and get a guitar that will take you there. There are also a number of other issues, not the least of which is ergonomics. For example, I am tall, and therefore a narrow single 10 (S10) steel doesn't work for me, even raised up. That could be the exact opposite for someone who is short - there are no pat answers.

I also would probably suggest any new player get something fairly modern with excellent mechanics so you can spend most/all of your time learning to play and not diddling with the mechanics. Unless of course you're absolutely set on a totally vintage sound - let's say old Sho Bud or Emmons. But IMO, if you're thinking about dropping some serious coin on a pedal steel, you should think about all the issues and get something that works for you.

If you think you might want to play a wide variety of styles, I personally suggest either a D10 with E9 and C6 on it, or some type of 12-string universal. Again, there are lots of discussions about the advantages and disadvantages of each. Or an S10.

And if you're gonna get a good guitar, get a good guitar. Take your time, do your homework, and don't be persuaded by a rush to "just get something". You have something now that you can work on basics with.
Scott Denniston

Hahns Peak, Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2021 11:51 am    

Quote:
If you think you might want to play a wide variety of styles, I personally suggest either a D10 with E9 and C6 on it, or some type of 12-string universal. Again, there are lots of discussions about the advantages and disadvantages of each.

I'll second that. Especially if you have a strong background and interest in jazz. A U12 or a D10 would be a lot more conducive than a single E9.
The best advice I got when buying my first steel was "Don't try and save a few bucks with something you'll just want to trade up with later. Get the good one. You'll be glad you did."
Dave Dube

Post  Posted 21 Feb 2021 8:34 am     A simple step

Steve, though I don't pretend to know what is best for you, I will say that the advice you were given to get a double neck or a 12 string is pretty good, since they give you a 6th tuning and that tuning is what is commonly used for jazz.

That brings me to the point of this post. It is about the tuning. The open E tuning you have is like the dobro G tuning. Remember that even the dobro has different tunings. You could use D tuning, for instance or I guess B tuning given that your strings are tuned a 6th away from G.

So, while you consider your next guitar, you can begin to learn what you will need right now with no cost but the time it takes to tune your guitar. The way I think, this is really the "next" step. It is immediate and yet it is important.

I'm sure you have probably messed with alternate tunings, and so you know that learning the fretboard map and any idiosyncrasies of the tuning is what will open up your playing. Then when you add knee levers and pedals it is like adding movable chord shapes and lick cliches that are now there.

If you want to play Country or pop you can use E9th tuning. You can tune your strings to the middle 6 of a 10 string E9th guitar and your pedals will be the A and B pedals of an E9th setup. They will pull your 4 chord just like they do now.

If you are aiming for C6th tuning it is not as easy because many of the changes on a c6th pedal steel will raise AND lower strings and your 6 shooter was not designed to do that and will not do that without a lot of parts and fiddling with it. I assume you are interested in playing steel guitar and not detouring into building them Smile That said, you could still tune to a subset of the 10 string c6th setup and at least get used to the no-pedals fretboard and possibly how to use one or two of the changes. C6th isn't really my bag so I will leave it to those who know it well to advise on that.

Anyway, I think that the thread to this point pretty well covers all of your options. Retune your guitar and practice, buy a single neck 10 or 12, buy a double neck.
It just depends on what your goals are and what expenses are acceptable to you.

BTW If you choose E9th, let me recommend a web site to help you get started:

https://dhdube.wixsite.com/psgbeginner

Keep on picking.

Dave D.
Steve Kaplan

New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2021 8:33 pm    

Thanks all, a friend loaned me his ShoBud S10 and I bought a Hudson ST6 which is tuned to E9 with AB pedals and has left knee levers. I love it. It’s pro-grade and has been a real eye opener. Plus Jimmie Hudson was great to speak with.

'79 Fender Tele
Hudson ST6 Pedal Steel
Campellone "Standard" Archtop
Caluori Custom 3 pickup Li’l Honey Guitar
Moll Grand Concert
Bourgeois Country Boy
Hirade TH90
Fender Princeton Reverb II
Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue (Modded)
Jimmie Hudson

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2021 3:17 am     yes

Steve Kaplan wrote:
Thanks all, a friend loaned me his ShoBud S10 and I bought a Hudson ST6 which is tuned to E9 with AB pedals and has left knee levers. I love it. It’s pro-grade and has been a real eye opener. Plus Jimmie Hudson was great to speak with.
Glad you are pleased with the Hudson Pedal steel guitar. Enjoy!!!!!!!!
Jeremy King

Rochelle, GA, USA
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2021 8:13 am    

Jimmie is awesome and does great work!