| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Where does the weight of a Nashville 112 come from?
Matthew Walton

Fort Worth, Texas
Post  Posted 21 Dec 2020 8:02 am    

Hi all,

Lately I've been thinking about replacing the stock speaker in my Peavey Nashville 112 with a neodymium speaker to cut the weight down. But upon some searching, I'm seeing that an Eminence TT-12 or Telonics 12" weighs ~7.1 lbs, and the stock speaker only weighs about 7.5 lbs. So where does all the weight come from?!

I've thought about tearing apart my amp to weigh the individual components, but haven't quite been bored enough to do it yet. Is there anything else I can do to get the weight down? Or should I just be looking at different amps at this point? Do I just have bad information on the weight of the stock speaker, and I actually would save a great deal of weight by swapping them out?

Thanks!

1981 MSA "The Universal" Bb6 S-12 9/5 | 2024 Excel Robostar Bb6 S-12 8/5 | 2009 MSA SuperSlide C6 S-12 | Peavey Nashville 112
Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 21 Dec 2020 8:17 am    

I defer to Bill Ferguson or other expert on these Peavey amps and speakers, but some of the weight may be due to the cabinet weight. If they are built from particle board or utility grade plywood, they will be a lot heavier than cabinets built from pine boards or baltic birch ply.

I believe someone on the forum is building a lighter weight cabinet either with these lighter weight materials or re-sizing the material to a thinner thickness.

I don't know what the chassis weight is, so that will determine the bulk and whether or not building another cabinet is worth while weightwise.
Steve Spitz

New Orleans, LA, USA
Post  Posted 21 Dec 2020 10:27 am    

I’d defer to Bill as the expert, But that transformer weighs a good bit, if you’re looking at single components that contribute to weight . It doesn’t weigh more than similar components in similar amps, just guessing that’s a major source of weight in all amps of that type. Obviously, you can’t remove/replace that.

If you’re looking to really reduce weight, maybe consider another type of amp ? Think about what you’d spend, and how much weight you’re really saving. Maybe your NV112 is looking better.
Larry Hobson

Valley Grande (Selma) Al USA
Post  Posted 21 Dec 2020 11:01 am     Weight of speaker

Just weighed the one I removed from my 112 ,11.2 lbs.
Tucker Jackson

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 21 Dec 2020 11:13 am    

Matthew, if you use an outboard reverb, you can save a little by removing the reverb tank. I bought a used NV112 and the prior owner had already done that task for me (and they handed the tank to me at the sale in case I ever wanted to put it back in). Works fine with no tank, but you DO have to keep the reverb knob pegged at zero or you'll get some noise.
Matthew Walton

Fort Worth, Texas
Post  Posted 21 Dec 2020 12:54 pm    

Jerry Overstreet wrote:
If they are built from particle board or utility grade plywood, they will be a lot heavier than cabinets built from pine boards or baltic birch ply.

I believe someone on the forum is building a lighter weight cabinet either with these lighter weight materials or re-sizing the material to a thinner thickness.

That was actually something I had started thinking about: buying or making a new cabinet from 1/2" Baltic Birch plywood rather than 3/4". I would have to do some calculating to make sure the weight reduction would be worth the trouble.

Steve Spitz wrote:
If you’re looking to really reduce weight, maybe consider another type of amp ? Think about what you’d spend, and how much weight you’re really saving. Maybe your NV112 is looking better.

Totally. I don't mind spending some amount of money (say $200-$300) to knock 10 to 20 lbs off the weight, but this is something I am conscious of, and I definitely want to avoid spending more and more here and there just to end up in a place where I'm saying "well gee, I could have spent an extra $200 and gotten a [Quilter/Telonics/whatever] that's lighter, louder, broader spectrum, and clearer."

That said, looking at the weight of the Steelaire and the Telonics combo amp, they don't seem as much lighter than my 112 as I would have expected. I'll have to check out some more amps to see if I just have unrealistic weight expectations.

Larry Hobson wrote:
Just weighed the one I removed from my 112 ,11.2 lbs.

Good to know! Maybe I will disassemble mine after all to know speaker vs cabinet vs chassis. 4 lbs isn't incredible weight reduction, but it's not nothing either.

Tucker Jackson wrote:
Matthew, if you use an outboard reverb, you can save a little by removing the reverb tank.

Oh, that's an interesting idea. I've been playing with a pedalboard a lot more as of late, so adding a mini reverb to the board isn't out of the question. I'm not sure I'd be willing to risk not having reverb if I forget my pedalboard though.

1981 MSA "The Universal" Bb6 S-12 9/5 | 2024 Excel Robostar Bb6 S-12 8/5 | 2009 MSA SuperSlide C6 S-12 | Peavey Nashville 112
Matthew Walton

Fort Worth, Texas
Post  Posted 21 Dec 2020 1:02 pm    

I just weighed my particular 112. It's 46 lbs. My dad's is 42 lbs (both the old style; bought at the same time). I have a set of Fender kickback legs installed on mine, so I guess that plus an extension cord and instrument cable I keep in the back is causing that extra 4 lbs.

Larry Hobson

Valley Grande (Selma) Al USA
Post  Posted 21 Dec 2020 6:02 pm     Amp weight

Matt, Spend too much time effort and money and you could have just bought a used second amp to leave at a gig site and not have to carry any weight. Just saying. Been there,done that (still do).
Ronald Sikes

Corsicana, Tx
Post  Posted 21 Dec 2020 6:43 pm    

Matthew , I think a lot of the weight comes from the cabinet. Tommy Huff builds a great “ultralight “ cabinet. I’ve got one custom built for a 15” , speaker. It has a Eminence Neo and still weighs around 5 lbs less than the factory amp. It sounds really good with a 15. It also has a custom Stainless Steel vent cover , which I sell here on the Forum.

Show Pro #26 & #83,BJS bars,Stereo Steel,Tommy Huff cabs loaded with JBL D130's, Wampler pedals,NV112,NV400, Steelers Choice Seats
Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 21 Dec 2020 6:56 pm    

Matt, just a thought. Try the Boss Katana 100. It's lightweight, loud, and works well with pedal steel. Or the new Travis Toy Quilter 202 with the light cabinet he uses. The Boss is very reasonable, and only one cabinet with quality effects. Personally I like both and the Nashville 112. Just a suggestion.
Matthew Walton

Fort Worth, Texas
Post  Posted 21 Dec 2020 8:37 pm    

Actually, something that's been going through my mind since I last posted is the thought of buying a lightweight bass rig as my One Rig to Rule Them All (bass, guitar, steel guitar).

Here's my thought process:
1) I really ought to have my own portable bass rig (technically my main gigging amp is borrowed).
2) From what I've read, steel guitar tends to sound really good through bass amps.
3) I like the sound of my guitar through my pedal steel amp (Nashville 112).
4) I liked the sound of my guitar through an Acoustic Image Clarus SL + DoubleShot when a friend of mine let me try his out.

So now I'm seriously considering getting one of those DoubleShot Combos linked above. If not one of those, it will be the starting point for my search for a similar super light, super portable bass rig that also works well for steel, that can also be expanded to fit larger venues as needed.

Bruce Bjork

Southern Coast of Maine
Post  Posted 23 Dec 2020 8:05 am    

Larry Dering wrote:
Matt, just a thought. Try the Boss Katana 100. It's lightweight, loud, and works well with pedal steel. Or the new Travis Toy Quilter 202 with the light cabinet he uses. The Boss is very reasonable, and only one cabinet with quality effects. Personally I like both and the Nashville 112. Just a suggestion.

Good suggestion, my son and I replaced the BOSS Katana 100 cab with solid pine, weighs less and sounds better. I use my Peavey Nashville 112 when playing out and my Katana for band rehearsals.

Jack Hargraves

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 25 Dec 2020 9:55 am    

My Nashville 112 only weighs 43 lbs. I find it very manageable. I'm 74 years old, and not as strong as I used to be though.

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 25 Dec 2020 10:20 am    

Jack, that's about half the weight of my old Twin reverb. I can't do stairs with it at my age, 71.
Jay Ganz

Out Behind The Barn
Post  Posted 27 Dec 2020 9:32 am    

18 lbs. 500 watts

Matthew Walton

Fort Worth, Texas
Post  Posted 27 Dec 2020 9:50 am    

Jack Hargraves wrote:
My Nashville 112 only weighs 43 lbs. I find it very manageable. I'm 74 years old, and not as strong as I used to be though.

I usually don't find it an issue, but I've been playing at Six Flags a few times recently, and hauling that thing the 1/3 mile back to the parking lot does a lot to make you reconsider your life choices. Laughing

The more I think about it, the more I'm convinced that a good, light, compact bass rig is the way of the future for me.

Bill Ferguson

Milton, FL USA
Post  Posted 28 Dec 2020 7:40 am    

The stock Blue Marvel Speaker weighs in at just over 11 pounds.
The reverb pan is probably less than 1 pound.

The chassis & transformer are pretty heavy, but they are analog (better for me) and not a Class D.

The cabinet is heavy, but due to it's small size, you can't save more than a couple of pounds by building a new cabinet. Tommy Huff and I discussed this a couple of years ago. I think he said he MIGHT could shave off 4 pounds.

Junior Knight split his NV112 into 2 pieces to help with his bad back.

Personally, I would leave it stock. Even with my super bad back, I would prefer to struggle a little instead of losing the sound that I love from the stock NV112.
I've tried the Katana and it just does not cut it for me. OK sound at really low volume, but it just won't push sound out there.

With a NV112, I can, as the Big E used to tell me, "Peel the paint off the walls".
AUTHORIZED George L's, Goodrich, Telonics and Peavey Dealer: I have 2 steels and several amps. My current rig of choice is 1993 Emmons LeGrande w/ 108 pups (Jack Strayhorn built for me), Goodrich OMNI Volume Pedal, George L's cables, Goodrich Baby Bloomer and Peavey Nashville 112. Can't get much sweeter.
Dave Hopping

Aurora, Colorado
Post  Posted 28 Dec 2020 1:46 pm    

Jay Ganz wrote:
18 lbs. 500 watts

500 watts? How?
Jay Ganz

Out Behind The Barn
Post  Posted 28 Dec 2020 2:02 pm    

Dave Hopping wrote:

500 watts? How?

One of my 500 watt mini-power amps inside along
with a Telonics TS-Neo 4 ohm 12" speaker
Steve Hinson

Hendersonville Tn USA
Post  Posted 28 Dec 2020 3:17 pm    

Bill Ferguson wrote:

With a NV112, I can, as the Big E used to tell me, "Peel the paint off the walls".

I've played some BIG places with an NV112...

It ain't let me down yet...

SH
Bill Ferguson

Milton, FL USA
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2020 7:04 am    

Exactly Steve.
I've played outside on a flatbed truck and have been told I was too loud. 1 NV112.
AUTHORIZED George L's, Goodrich, Telonics and Peavey Dealer: I have 2 steels and several amps. My current rig of choice is 1993 Emmons LeGrande w/ 108 pups (Jack Strayhorn built for me), Goodrich OMNI Volume Pedal, George L's cables, Goodrich Baby Bloomer and Peavey Nashville 112. Can't get much sweeter.
Bill Moore

Manchester, Michigan
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2020 11:53 am    

If the problem is simply reducing the weight, smaller bass amps will do it. I do own a Nashville 112, but the amps I've used for gigs in the last few years are bass amps. I have four, all weigh less than the NV112.

GK Mb200, with 12" neo speaker in a homebuilt cab, 200 watts, 20 lbs.

Carvin MB 15, 15" speaker, 200 watts. 33 lbs.

Carvin BX 500, 15" neo speaker, custom cab, 500 watts, 35 lbs.

Carvin BX 250 head, 5 lbs, 12" cab with neo speaker, 15 lbs.

All that said, I would not carry any amp 1/3 rd of a mile, I would put everything on the Rock-N-Roller mini cart, which would solve your weight problem
Matthew Walton

Fort Worth, Texas
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2021 1:58 pm    

Yeah, a good cart is definitely a lacking area for me. I can’t even find my Magna Cart dolly!

I think I remember Reece had a really compact one that folded up in the middle, and was just big enough for his steel, amp, and seat. IIRC, someone made it for him, but it’s been so long I don’t remember it well.