| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Tom Morrell - How the West was Swung - how to listen?
Ben Standefer

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2020 10:06 am    

There's a great thread currently on the Strat-Talk forum about Western Swing. This commenter mentioned the "How the West was Swung" series by Tom Morrell.

Link: https://www.strat-talk.com/threads/western-swing-who-to-listen-to.553505/page-3#post-4067341

He says there are 15-16 CDs in that series. Does anybody know how to listen to or buy a box set of all of those albums? I can't find them anywhere, and they're not on the streaming services. I don't even own a CD player anymore, but I'd be happy to pay $120 to Tom's family for a box set download of MP3s.

Does anybody know how to acquire this music so it isn't lost and can be brought into the future generations? I'd like to play it for my 4yo daughter and 1yo son to dance to!

Elk,Wa 99009 USA
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2020 10:21 am    

Ben, I have two or three cd's, but like you I would want to get the entire collection. I can tell you from what I've heard on my cds, they are some of the best stuff, its more than western swing too. Almost reminds me of the Tonight Show band with Doc. One of my cd's has a horn section that plays throughout. With the gal that used to sing with Asleep at the Wheel, Chris, doing vocals on a few tunes. Its just out of this world. Everything arranged down to the last note.
If you find where the collection is available let me know!
Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2020 10:42 am    

Ah yes....Dinosaur music! I have most of the stuff on casette and a couple CDs. I don't know of a source. Not much out there.

You might check with some of the Texas Steel Guitar Association members here. I think they used to sell come of the CDs at the steel shows.

About the best source to listen I know of is on youtube. You have to poke around a bit, but there's quite a bit of stuff on there. Search Tom Morrell and the Time Warp Top Hands.

Good luck. If you find a good source for hard copies of this music, please report here.
Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2020 11:15 am    

I just found volumes 1,2,3,5,6,7, and 14 on amazon.com for reasonable prices ($19 or less per CD) and other volumes on Amazon for collector prices.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2020 11:34 am    

I looked over there earlier Greg. All I found was the Wolf Trap CD. I'll check it out again. I find amazon a little tricky to navigate sometimes. Thanks.
Bill McCloskey

Post  Posted 22 Sep 2020 11:42 am    

Last edited by Bill McCloskey on 25 Sep 2020 10:57 am; edited 1 time in total
Bill C. Buntin

Post  Posted 23 Sep 2020 7:40 am    

Individual cds can be found on flea bay.

You can search eBay with just the name Tom morrell and I believe all of them will come up. Numerous sellers of course. Some rather pricey but imho worth it to get the entire collection.

Bill