Other... post your answer
16%
 16%  [ 14 ]
Total Votes : 84

Author Topic:  For Whom Do We Play?
Dom Franco

Beaverton, OR, 97007
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2020 7:22 am    

I have have more time to think these days, I am playing a lot less, but I still have some regular gigs about 2 or 3 times a week.
I have sometimes pondered the question: "Who am I playing for anyway?" Since I play mostly solo gigs, I get to pick all the songs.
And I have my "Favorites" (Songs I think I play the best, and feature my steel guitar or vocals in the best light) But then I also notice how the audience reacts to each song... and after a dozen years I am pretty good at judging how well they like a tune by their applause, comments, smiles, singing along or the lack thereof.
In the past I have played in many bands and with many other musicians. I have had to suffer through some band-mates beloved original song every gig, or some cover arrangement the most popular radio pablum for that week. The hits came and went but I had to play songs I hated, and play many places I didn't want to just for the money. I never walked out on a gig, but I did leave a band and fly out of town abruptly paying a small fortune to ship my equipment home by airfreight.
I played with some bands that only did originals... (Hint: they never made money) I played with some musicians that only knew 3 chords and tried to play every song in the same key! I did some studio work for producers who had no knowledge of the steel guitar at all and just wanted some "ambiance" or "space sounds"... I played took the money and ran.
I played with great musicians, and lousy ones, young and old, all kinds of music but I never really had thought about whom I was trying to please? If it's only for the money, there are better ways to make a living than hanging out with people you don't care for playing music you don't like, with the wrong chords sending shivers up your spine every verse.
CAUTION: RELIGIOUS CONTENT BELOW!
Then: I became a Christian and realized that music was a gift from God. I didn't have to play songs about cheatin, drinkin, drugs, etc. In fact I could use my music to bless others with good news. Love songs, Gospel Hymns, originals, or their favorite oldies.
The Bible teaches us to love others and to serve others, so now I try to please the audience by bringing a little joy into their lives especially at this time of trouble in our world. If that means playing a request for a song I don't particularly care for... I will.

Last edited by Dom Franco on 6 Sep 2020 9:08 am; edited 1 time in total
Roger Crawford

Griffin, GA USA
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2020 7:42 am    

Maybe this should be a poll where multiple answers are allowed.
Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2020 8:20 am    

All the above.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, Recording King Professional Dobro, NV400, NV112,Ibanez Gio guitar, Epiphone SG Special (open D slide guitar) . Playing for 54 years and still counting.
Dom Franco

Beaverton, OR, 97007
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2020 9:11 am    

Quote:
Roger Crawford
Maybe this should be a poll where multiple answers are allowed.

I didn't know it was possible to make a poll with that option... For now people can reply "OTHER" and explain it in their post comments.

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2020 11:27 am    

I, for sure, do it for me. No place to play now, so, it is a good time to tweek my playing.
Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2020 12:46 pm    

Even if I don’t particularly care for a song, I realize it probably means something to somebody, either in the band or in the audience. So, I try to be musically honest with it and give it my best. Maybe playing for the sake of the song itself is my answer. When not practicing for show biz, I play at home for my own enjoyment, possibly with a slightly more robust dedication than I would for music with less personal meaning for me.
Richard Alderson

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2020 1:02 pm     Other

If I did not play steel guitar, I mostly would not get to hear steel guitar myself. So I have to play it, just in order to hear it. And I really need to hear it, it is a part of my soul that I cannot do without. Therefore its not optional, its an obligation that I have to myself. Playing steel is also a gift I share with others if they choose. I call it the Gospel of Pedal Steel. I help to spread the gospel of steel guitar wherever I go and make the instrument known to folks that never saw it or who have not seen it for years. Almost universally folks come up to me and say "I love that steel !!" Steel defines our sound. Steel is the reason the band sticks together. Steel is what distinguishes us from the other bar bands. So 'All of the Above' would be my answer; but it all starts with me, there would be no steel in my life if I didn't have it for myself. No one else is doing it; Its up to me.

Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2020 1:22 pm    

I put band mates, but I should qualify: I play for myself because I love the steel guitar.
But nothing gets me more excited about playing for myself as those bar gigs (or any gigs, but I mostly play little dive bar gigs in my area), when the band is really listening to each other, everyone is in a good mood, everyone has a nice beer-and-a-shot buzz, and we nail a song, and after each solo or whatever part, one of your buddies gives you that raised eyebrow, big smile, or you see him whisper “yes”, or all the other body-English things that happen when the band is in it’s own zone, and the bar patrons are almost like countryside zooming by the windows of a fast-moving train. And the band is the train.

I guess it’s pretty obvious—I really miss playing with my buddies.

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2020 12:15 am    

well I will respond with PRE Covid context.

1- In my early years I played for me, with no thought whatsoever about band mates or audience. It was about being recognized, which never actually happened.

2- I matured evidently and came to realize that a band, ensemble, was about the music as aunit, so we all played together, probably trying to impress each other. We selected songs WE liked.

3- continuing on I became very aware that playing in a working band was about the music and the songs, this is how we stayed busy EVERY weekend. By this time I was playing popular songs and signature phrases that were integral parts of the song . I was no longer jamming and speed picking my way thru the songs in an isolated world Nobody cared how many notes I could play in 4 bars.

I play as best I can to make the SONG as good as possible as there are people out there either listening or dancing. IF they came to hear Together Again or Sleepwalk, thats what I am playing . This doesn't mean I play I play them exactly the same each time, I don't, but the songs are still the songs.

And yeah I did my stint with all original bands . It was very difficult to continue with them while watching waitresses put chairs up on tables at midnight while we still had an hour to go, with an empty room.

Regarding the religious content, sure if we have a gift use it, but the fact of the matter is it is US, our behavior and attitude which attracts people to us individually. IF someone should admire our talent, whatever it may be, and they somehow are attracted to us , it is then that they learn what we are all about. Actions , not words. I no longer work with the local singer who also wants to preach, either to me or the audience.

Very Happy Peace !

and yes I enjoy every minute of my time playing music ! I am not going thru the motions. I strive to play to the best of my ability, regardless of what music I am playing.

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Last edited by Tony Prior on 7 Sep 2020 11:48 pm; edited 2 times in total
Rich Upright

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2020 12:43 am    

I voted "other"
I play for the hott chicks in the audience.
'Course they always think I'm playing a keyboard.

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2020 5:43 am    

Well. it is a multi-layered, multi-tiered thing for me. I try to live an integrated life, bringing together all the forces or influences that bear on me and making sense of them. One of my family's mottoes is, "Semper Coram Deo" or, "Always Before the Throne of God." God plays into everything, influences everything. He is a benevolent force. He encourages our creative expression. Then there is my lovely wife, my enabler. Another benevolent force and the love of my life. Of late, what's left is myself and the client. I've been doing this for enough years that I really want to enjoy it as much as possible, and so I do. And finally, most of my playing out is on sessions these days so the client needs to be pleased.

From there it is just juggling and meshing. Very Happy

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (My Little Website)
Dave Little

Atlanta
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2020 6:43 am    

I used to play for "Me" . Everyone does that. Of course there are other reasons that contribute to the "Me" reason, but "Me" ends up being the basis of all of them. (Money, family, friends, Jesus, etc.)
Then I got tired of it. All of the reasons Don listed contributed to this tiredness, but loss of the spirit of challenge was the primary straw.
Now I shoot pistols and reload ammo.
Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2020 7:19 am    

Dom,
I like what you said.
"Make a joyful noise unto the Lord".
john widgren

Wilton CT
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2020 9:44 am     .

udder
widcj@hotmail.com

Last edited by john widgren on 9 Sep 2020 6:56 am; edited 2 times in total
Mike Bacciarini

Arizona
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2020 12:10 pm    

I went with “other” because of “more than one”, but in context of how Dom concluded his post. Here’s a tune from ‘74 featuring Al Perkins on psg that talks about the very topic...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KWWJ62CnPwU
MCI Arlington S-10 3+5, George L E-66, BJS & Emmons bars, Fender Princeton 65W, Fender Satellite SFX, custom FX rack, 1983 Dobro 60D, SX-8 lap steel, Martin D16GT, Ibanez AS73, 1978 Rickenbacker 4000 custom.
Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2020 1:12 pm    

For me, and I suspect for most people, it's a combination of many factors - self, other people, the ensemble, the song, money (maybe), God, country, one or more particular causes that I believe in, whatever. But to me, all of those factors are inextricably linked to how I personally view things. So firstly, I have to be true to myself, in terms of whatever parameters that go with that. I think playing music requires commitment and passion. If I don't love what I'm doin', I'm gonna do something else unless someone has the power to put me in chains. And I'm gonna fight like hell against that.
Bill McCloskey

Post  Posted 7 Sep 2020 1:48 pm    

Last edited by Bill McCloskey on 25 Sep 2020 11:06 am; edited 1 time in total
Billy Carr

Seminary, Mississippi, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2020 5:14 am     psg

audience. w/o them, wouldn't be a gig !!!
Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2020 7:01 am    

I'm with Billy, by definition.

Music doesn't exist until it's heard.
Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2020 7:05 am    

Oft times I sing to myself, an audience of one. Very Happy
Erv
Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2020 7:40 am    

LOL, so true Erv! There is always an audience of at least one, so that assumption can already be made. Without the player, it’s just a guitar sitting there, daring somebody to pick it up.
Michael Douchette

Gallatin, TN (deceased)
Post  Posted 14 Sep 2020 10:03 am    

God, and whomever He moved to hire me.

http://www.steelharp.com
http://www.thesessionplayers.com/douchette.html

(other things you can ask about here)
http://s117.photobucket.com/albums/o54/Steelharp/
Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 14 Sep 2020 3:58 pm    

Like Erv I have to entertain myself. However I'm the most popular guy there.
b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 14 Sep 2020 4:24 pm    

I choose other: the music purchaser. I mean, that's what being a pro is all about, right?

Since I've retired from performing, it's been more about playing to hear myself. But for 42 years, it was about pleasing the people who owned the venues or threw the parties. Do you really think I'd play "Bad, Bad Leroy Brown" for anyone who didn't have cash in hand?

Christchurch New Zealand
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2020 1:29 am    

Yes bOb, We've had to play "Wagon Wheel" 5 times in one night!
I started as a Teenager trying to be a rock star, but soon realised it wouldn't happen.
I fortunately kept my music as a weekend hobby while creating a career and raising a family with the bonus of some extra income.
I eventually got sick of the same old boring gigs and gave up for about 8 years.
As I got older I decided to return and re-invented my playing and have now been playing for me!
I love learning new instruments/genre's etc and I'm always looking for something new to challenge me.
An audience is a bonus so I enjoy playing gigs but I noodle a lot at home.