| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  E9th string 9
b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2020 1:19 pm    

I'm thinking of tuning my 9th string to C# and raising to D on the lever that lowers the 2nd string (RKR). This would feel "right" to me because on C6th I also raise that string (A to Bb) on RKR.

I can't think of any disadvantages to doing this. Can you?

Larryville, NJ, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2020 1:49 pm    

Hey Bob - I used to do that all the time, without changing the 2nd string knee.
For songs with the "C6 feel" or basically playing the whole song with the E flat lever engaged, i'd just tune down the D. Swing tunes you know. Then just tune it back up.
Haven't done that in awhile though. Haven't done anything in awhile.

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2020 2:49 pm    

b0b, on my uni I effectively do it all the time.

I don't have a D string but with pedals down I raise C# to D on a lever and it feels perfectly natural.
Tucker Jackson

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2020 6:04 pm     Re: E9th string 9

b0b wrote:
I can't think of any disadvantages to doing this. Can you?

I guess it comes down to how often you use the C# versus the D note in your playing.

I use the D all the time, and the C# on rare occasions... so tuning the 9th string to D is my preference.
Larry Bressington

Nebraska
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2020 7:05 am    

It works a treat b0b, has many advantages, take time to explore and adjust, great for fat strum chords with NO loss.
Bengt Erlandsen

Brekstad, NORWAY
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2020 10:27 am    

That would kinda depend on what you have on the RKL and if you use that in conjunction with the 9th string.

B.Erlandsen
b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2020 11:36 am    

Bengt Erlandsen wrote:
That would kinda depend on what you have on the RKL and if you use that in conjunction with the 9th string.

B.Erlandsen

I lower my E's on RKL. In that case, it would usually be better if the 9th string was C# anyway, for scale runs in common positions. I don't think I ever use the low D and D# together in my bag of licks.

Thanks for the thought. Mr. Green

Natchez Mississippi
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2020 2:29 pm     D string

I don't have a D string Like a lot of others I moved my 10th B to the 9th place pulling to C# and putting a G# as my 10th pulling to A. I lower my 8th to a D with my LKL( I use the old ShoBud set up). I know I lose my root tone but the effect of the 9th dropping is well worth it.
Kristian Frostad

Norway
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2020 3:16 pm    

One potential disadvantage it that the 10th string B to C# raise will trigger some sympathetic vibrations on the open 9th string C#.
May be a bothersome, but it is pretty quick to try it out before committing to it.
Larry Bressington

Nebraska
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2020 4:52 pm    

You will have to tune the 9th down a notch to match the 10th pulled, i go in between....a notch up from the 10th pulled and a notch down from C# straight up, it's a sugared tuning.
b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2020 8:11 pm    

I set up the guitar today. I tuned the 9th string C# the same as the pedaled 10th string C#. That sounds right to me. Single 10, 4+4. I like it.

Last edited by b0b on 27 Jul 2020 9:13 am; edited 1 time in total
John Goux

California, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2020 10:12 pm    

If you use the D string to play D chords, having to hold that lever in may be tiring, or just fine. One other solution is to lower Str 9 D on your lever with the Str 8 E lower. That way they lower together on the same lever when you are playing in the B position.
John
Steve Leal

Orange CA, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2020 11:19 pm    

Hi Bob,

I recently added a change to lower 9 from D to C# on the same knee lever that lowers my Es. It feels fine and completes all my scales/notes in that position. Have you tried this before?
Joel Jackson

Detroit
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2020 6:56 am    

Personally, I wouldn't go without the 9th string D. There's way too much cool stuff to be done with it. And I can always lower it to C# with the 2/9 lower if i do want a C#.
b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2020 7:10 am    

I use the C# a lot for minor 7th chords (strings 9 8 6 5). I also use it as a D major 7th root with pedals down (strings 9 7 6 5). The RKR isn't hard to push when I need that D.

And of course the C# is handy with E's lowered. I used to have it on the leftmost pedal in addition to RKR, so that I could get those runs. Now I don't need it there. My P0 is pretty stiff already with 2 full step lowers, and I like having the 10th string drop.

Nebraska
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2020 8:34 am    

I also like the fact that you can do 3 string grips in order from 1-10 without having to skip strings. 10,9,and 8 are nice with that unision in there. Having the D on the raise is less work than having the C# on the lower, i use the D alot but having the C# on the lower means you have one knee tied up, which happens to be on the same knee as my E's lowered so there is conflict depending on your knee arrangement.
Andrew Frost

Toronto, Ontario
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2020 10:41 am    

Having D on a lever is nice for chord resolution and sus4 ornaments Ive found.
The open C# also lends itself to open E6 sounds and so on. That thick unison on 9/10 can useful too.
These days I have B on string 9 and it raises to D on RKL.
No D string presently. Low E on 10.
The levered D can function like a regular 9th string D in most scenarios. I particularly like how it works with the A pedal in V7 - I type phrases.

The open C# vs D is akin to the 2nd string open D vs Eb preferece in ways. Boils down to what you would use more frequently, but as they say, "all roads lead to Rome" Γ°ΕΈΛœβ€°
b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2020 2:24 pm    

Andrew Frost wrote:
The open C# vs D is akin to the 2nd string open D vs Eb preferece in ways. Boils down to what you would use more frequently, but as they say, "all roads lead to Rome" Γ°ΕΈΛœβ€°

I respectfully disagree. There's a clear advantage to D# vs. D on the 2nd string. If you analyze the 7 major chord/fret positions for a single key, you'll see that at 5 of them the 2nd string tuned to D# is a scale note. The remaining 2 positions (at the II and V frets) use the lever to lower the 2nd string for a scale note.

I played with 2nd string D for over a decade before I realized this. I only thought it was more useful. I was wrong. I suppose if you never use your F lever, it's more of a toss-up. The A+F major chord positions tip the scales in favor of the D# big time.

Toronto, Ontario
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2020 9:27 pm    

I see what you're saying Bob.
I suppose if one played a whole lot of flat 7s and altered 9s all the time then the scale wouldn't tip so much in favour of the D#.
But for diatonic playing the D# does seem to be used more, I agree.
Brett Lanier

Madison, TN
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2020 9:42 pm    

Steve Leal wrote:

I recently added a change to lower 9 from D to C# on the same knee lever that lowers my Es. It feels fine and completes all my scales/notes in that position. Have you tried this before?

You'd miss out on a pretty cool change by doing that.
Strings 9,6,4 open - then B pedal and string 9 lower. It's a five to one change, with contrary motion and a common tone on top.
Brett Lanier

Madison, TN
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2020 9:51 pm    

b0b wrote:
The A+F major chord positions tip the scales in favor of the D# big time.

I agree with everything you said, b0b. There is one chord in that position that I have to point out though.
Strings 8,6,5,2 w/ F lever makes a real nice diminished chord, and with the 2nd string tuned to D, all you have to do is grab it.
b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2020 10:39 pm    

b0b wrote:
The A+F major chord positions tip the scales in favor of the D# big time.

Brett Lanier wrote:
I agree with everything you said, b0b. There is one chord in that position that I have to point out though.
Strings 8,6,5,2 w/ F lever makes a real nice diminished chord, and with the 2nd string tuned to D, all you have to do is grab it.

It's easy to use the F and D levers together. Most people put them on different knees. Mine are LKL and RKR.

California, USA
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2020 8:00 am    

That 9th string is a funny one! For years, the open D on that string was my nemesis. Like an inflamed appendix with which to avoid contact. Basically just in the way. Now itÒ€ℒs my best pal and I use it all the time.
I have a knee that drops it to C# whilst also dropping the 10th from B to A (and the traditional 2nd string D# drop to C# with D half stop). This 10th string drop tied in is also worth a try. Anyway, I tried playing a U12 neck with this low D missing and I couldnÒ€ℒt believe how lost I was without it. Whoa!
Brett Lanier

Madison, TN
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2020 11:29 am    

b0b wrote:
It's easy to use the F and D levers together.

True that. My RKR is engaged more than it's not. I started ditching changes a while ago and finally ended up with this. I think if I did add something, it would be the string 9 lower. One thing that both of our setups have in common is that we both have the option of playing a high and low root at the same time when we use that low D as the chord root. I guess you can do the same thing with the usual feel stop setup, but you really have to make sure it's dialed in just right.

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2020 5:19 pm    

I could never get a solid enough D on the second string with a feel stop, so I put the C# on a pedal. I don't use the C# much anyway. I like using it the E lowers (my RKL) for pentatonic blues licks.