| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Pedal dobro?
Kevin Quick

Sacramento, Calif
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2020 6:22 pm    

Does anyone make a pedal dobro simular to what Franklin used to make?

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2020 7:01 pm    

I dunno...maybe Jimmie Hudson would build you one? (I've also seen a couple others that were made.)

Hudson

Thielesteel

unknown maker
Greg Forsyth

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2020 6:32 am    

You might contact Jackson Steel guitars. I think they can make a standup resonator w/ pedals or standup PSG w/ 6 or 8 strings.

https://www.jacksonsteelguitar.com/
Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2020 8:07 am    

Moyo made one. Perhaps they could be persuaded to mane another.
Skip Edwards

LA,CA
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2020 9:16 am    

There was a guy at the Dallas show a couple years back that had a square neck dobro with a couple knee levers built into the neck. Pretty cool.
Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2020 9:27 am    

I have never quite seen the point of pedals on an instrument with limited sustain.
Tom Keller

Greeneville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2020 11:19 am    

Back in the day I put a bigsby palm pedal on my Dobro. I played with it for a while but it just didn't do it for me. I was hoping to sound like Weldon Myrick who pretty much pioneered pedals on a resonator guitar. Long story short I heard Jerry Douglas when he was about 16 years old. I went home took my palm pedal off and its still lying in my workshop somewhere. I would add that Shot Jackson was probably one of the first to use pedals but he also used the E tuning which didn't work for me because of my interest in Bluegrass music.
Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2020 8:52 am    

When the Match-bro was first introduced, an ad said (40 pounds lighter and $4.000 cheaper than the competition."

If you want the ped-a-bro sound, there are several pedals that will give it to you.
Jim Pitman

Waterbury Ctr. VT 05677 USA
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2020 11:24 am    

Ian, the sustain is pretty good considering.
There were a number of pop hits a while back that had that signature sound.
Keith Whitleys:
1. When You Say Nothing at All
2. It Ain't Nothing
Randy Travis:
I'm Going to Love you Forever
Just to name a few. (All Paul F)

To me that sound was iconic for those tunes and I wonder if they would have been so popular without.
I guess I'm biased because i was a Dobro player first. The dobro does really well in some situations, mostly acoustic. It has much more harmonic content than a PSG. The PSG can border on pure tone (boring) at times.
The Pedalbro was a pretty successful attempt at getting that dobro sound with PSG licks.
Mark Eaton

Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2020 12:31 pm    

Ian Rae wrote:
I have never quite seen the point of pedals on an instrument with limited sustain.

I guess it depends on which dobros you have played or heard up close. The Clinesmith in my avatar photo on the left has all kinds of sustain, as do other high end large body resonators like Beard, Scheerhorn, etc.

I think you start losing sustain when there is too much going on, and the 10-string Pedabro might be a good example. Too many strings "driving" the cone, knee levers, completely different construction. Sweet tone in the right hands, but not real loud acoustically.

But then I would never consider converting a high end resonator to a pedal dobro, that would be a bastardization of the highest order. When you see it done it's usually on a not so great Asian import.

Jackson had a pedal dobro guitar, on a regular
body (pretty sure it was an import) for awhile and Zane King would demo the instrument, but I don't see it on the website anymore - maybe they threw in the towel due to a lack of interest.

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2020 1:07 pm    

Thanks for putting me straight, guys!
I realise that there are a great many different resonator guitars, and I take the point that the ones that would be the best subjects for modification are in fact the ones you wouldn't want to desecrate
Smile
Brint Hannay

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2020 1:56 pm    

Ian Rae wrote:

I've always thought the original motivation for adding pedals to a guitar played with a slide was probably changing the tuning to enable greater chord versatility, and string bending while sustaining was a (huge) serendipitous bonus.
Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2020 3:45 pm    

True. Certainly the A&B pedals on a pedal steel started life as a quick change from E9 to A6, and only later did the idea occur of operating them while you're actually playing. (It was the same story with the valves on a French horn a couple of hundred years ago.)

When I see guitarists changing tuning between songs I often think it could be quicker.