| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Headphone Rig For Practicing At Night
Darren Mortillaro

Nevada, USA
Post  Posted 29 May 2020 12:26 am    

Anyone have a favorite amp simulator with fx that takes stereo headphones and is portable. I used to have a Korg Pandora, and it sounded exceptional, but that product has been discontinued. Any suggestions? Guitar Rig on a laptop? POD? Zoom pedals? Axe-FX is a bit large for this purpose.
Jim Saunders

Houston, Texas, U.S.A.
Post  Posted 29 May 2020 10:50 am     Hey There

Darren, I use the headphone jack on my NV112, which works fine. I also have a Roland Cube 80 and it has the headphone jack. Both work great.
Godfrey Arthur

3rd Rock
Post  Posted 29 May 2020 11:26 am    

But if you want a modeler at your fingertips (might as well you're using headphones) and your amp doesn't have such feature including "stereo" get the first issue POD. It will be all you need for practice. You can get these used for cheepers.

I use the Line 6 POD 2.0 often and for steel it is fun! Has a noise gate, tap tempo and loads of amp and speaker models. Reverb, delay tremolo! Everything is right there in front of you. No menu diving!!! But if you like that you can interface it with your PC. Don't see a need to go deep "see" diving though.

The first issue POD 2.0 is more analog than the succeeding versions.

You can even use the smaller Popeil pocket version and get some steel tones.

Gene Tani

Pac NW
Post  Posted 29 May 2020 12:13 pm    

There's Pandoras on reverb from $80

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/amPlugRockG2--vox-amplug-2-classic-rock-headphone-guitar-amp?

I have one of these, the "Clean" model, great for carrying around w/lap steel, sounds prety good but won't plug into volume pedal, and also the 1st one i had the rotating plug part came apart.

Last edited by Gene Tani on 4 Jun 2020 4:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Patrick Huey

Nacogdoches, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 30 May 2020 4:39 am     Re: Headphone Rig For Practicing At Night

Darren Mortillaro wrote:
Anyone have a favorite amp simulator with fx that takes stereo headphones and is portable. I used to have a Korg Pandora, and it sounded exceptional, but that product has been discontinued. Any suggestions? Guitar Rig on a laptop? POD? Zoom pedals? Axe-FX is a bit large for this purpose.

Darren
I use a Yamaha MG06 mini mixer. I can run my from my power amp out on my NV400 into mixer and plug a small cable like you pigtail stomp boxes with into the power amp in to kill the external speaker. It also allows me to plug my phone in to add music and allows independent volume adjustment of each and the tone sounds exactly like playing through my NV 400. I haven’t found any of the things like the Pod or iRig that had a tone I liked...too modded sounding.

Pre RP Mullen D10 8/7, Zum 3/4, Carter S-10 3/4, previous Cougar SD-10 3/4 & GFI S-10 3/4, Fender Steel King, 2 Peavey Session 500's, Peavey Nashville 400, Boss DD-3, Profex-II, Hilton Digital Sustain, '88 Les Paul Custom,Epiphone MBIBG J-45, Fender Strat & Tele's, Takamine acoustics, Marshall amps, Boss effects, Ibanez Tube Screamer, and it all started with an old cranky worn out Kay acoustic you could slide a Mack truck between the strings and fretboard on!!
Patrick Huey

Nacogdoches, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 30 May 2020 4:41 am    

Using the mini mixer also allows me to use all my normal effects and volume pedal.
Pre RP Mullen D10 8/7, Zum 3/4, Carter S-10 3/4, previous Cougar SD-10 3/4 & GFI S-10 3/4, Fender Steel King, 2 Peavey Session 500's, Peavey Nashville 400, Boss DD-3, Profex-II, Hilton Digital Sustain, '88 Les Paul Custom,Epiphone MBIBG J-45, Fender Strat & Tele's, Takamine acoustics, Marshall amps, Boss effects, Ibanez Tube Screamer, and it all started with an old cranky worn out Kay acoustic you could slide a Mack truck between the strings and fretboard on!!
Darren Mortillaro

Nevada, USA
Post  Posted 31 May 2020 12:02 am    

Cool. Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Right now it's either my amp or a software simulator like guitar rig on my computer.
John Sluszny

Brussels, Belgium
Post  Posted 31 May 2020 10:33 am    

Gene Tani wrote:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/amPlugRockG2--vox-amplug-2-classic-rock-headphone-guitar-amp?

I have one of these, the "Clean" model, great for carrying around w/lap steel, sounds pretty good but won't plug into volume pedal.

Why ??? Thanks !
Gene Tani

Pac NW
Post  Posted 31 May 2020 1:57 pm    

Well, ok, I can't find my amplug but i think it won't go into volume pedal becuase the cutout in the treadle above the output jacks can come down hard on the amplug and bust it. You could definitely get an extension 1/4" cable and plug the amplug into that
John Sluszny

Brussels, Belgium
Post  Posted 31 May 2020 3:29 pm    

👍😉
Jim Newberry

Seattle, Upper Left America
Post  Posted 1 Jun 2020 11:24 am    

What I’d love to have is something much simpler than those Pod things. I don’t want 1000 overdrives and flangers. A simple clean tone that doesn’t sound too digital, a touch of reverb and some EQ control. If it’s a headphone amp, I could always use the headphone out to a Bluetooth speaker that has an aux in for an ultimate compact portable travel rig.

I’m asking for too much (or too little) I know. I’m not wild about the Vox Amplug Clean, and the Korg Pandora has very low volume and way too many gizmos to be useful.

This thing looks promising: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/reviews/guitar_effects/valeton/rushead_max/48269 although also looks like it’s aimed at the high gain shredders.

Anybody try this Rushead thing?

-1950 Fender Dual Pro 8
-1950's Fender Dual Pro 6
-Clinesmith D8
-Clinesmith 8-string Frypan
-Clinesmith Joaquin
-~1940 National New Yorker
-~1936 Rickenbacher B6
-Homebuilt Amps
Gary Newcomb

AustinTexas, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jun 2020 1:17 pm    

I like the idea of this new product. A higher ticket item, but seems like it would have many uses for recording etc.. It even has a 1/8” headphone jack. Super cool
Strymon Iridium

New South Wales, Australia
Post  Posted 1 Jun 2020 1:56 pm    

I'm using a DSM and Humboldt Simplifier on a small pedalboard.
No reverb itself but I have a stereo dual delay/reverb, and a trem/vibrato in the effect loop.
Killer Stereo sound in headphones, and I can just hook the rig up to an amp or PA
Old pic, I have now added a Mooer compressor and MI effects Super Blues pro to the front end. The simplifier is the small white box.

2008 Highland Baritone Weissenborn
2020 Highland New Yorker.
2020 Highland Mohan Veena
2021 Highland Weissencone
Alex Cattaneo

Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 1 Jun 2020 2:38 pm    

Check out the Atomic Ampli-firebox or the Ampli-fire AA6. I use both and they sound great. I don't even bother bringing amps to gigs anymore. Just the AA6 with a small mixer for the band mix and my IEM.
Darren Mortillaro

Nevada, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jun 2020 11:49 pm    

This is what I had. Sounded great, and was small and self contained. Wish it hadn't broke.

Darren Mortillaro

Nevada, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jun 2020 11:51 pm    

Alex Cattaneo wrote:
Check out the Atomic Ampli-firebox or the Ampli-fire AA6. I use both and they sound great. I don't even bother bringing amps to gigs anymore. Just the AA6 with a small mixer for the band mix and my IEM.

How's the reverb and delay? Good tone overall for PSG?
Joseph Carlson

Grass Valley, California, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jun 2020 6:19 am    

I just ordered one of these = https://carlmartin.com/rock-bug/

Seems like it should work for headphone practice with a backing track and can also double as an xlr output in a pinch if my amp goes down on a gig.
Justin Emmert

Greensboro, NC
Post  Posted 2 Jun 2020 5:03 pm    

I use a small mixer. Have pedals for effects. The beauty of using a small mixer is you can adjust the levels of your guitar, tracks and headphones separately.
Alex Cattaneo

Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 2 Jun 2020 6:10 pm    

Darren Mortillaro wrote:
[

How's the reverb and delay? Good tone overall for PSG?

Lots of options for reverb and delay. The Amplifirebox doesn't have a headphone out, but it does have a few effects, like echo and several types of reverb. The AA6 has everything you could ever want. I find that the Deluxe amp model sounds very good for PSG. I don't even bother miking amps anymore.
Steve Mueller

Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jun 2020 6:31 pm    

Milkman The Amp(has reverb) and a set of headphones is all you need!

AustinTexas, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jun 2020 1:50 pm    

I just pulled the trigger on the Strymon Iridium. 3 amp sims and 3 cab sims you can mix and match (more available that you can download). I got it mainly for recording as I live in an acoustically challenged abode and am forever chasing out buzzes and the shrillness of tiled floors out of my signal. It really “feels” a lot more like Playing through an amp. The 1/8 headphone out is an amazing feature too. It was expensive but has been a great improvement in my Covid19 headphone world and come to think of it, I’ve been practicing a lot more too!
Signal follows: Steel- Blackbox- Goodrich Omni- Mxr reverb- Iridium- mixer w/headphones (or apogee duet for recording)

Pac NW
Post  Posted 30 Jun 2020 4:01 am    

Yup, sound treatment of a room is a whole nother big thread topic!

I've been plugging steel and MP3 player into Blackstar fly mini amp, surprisingly decent sound for $60 and 3" speaker but I don't find it comfortable with Audio technica m20 headphones.

I think it's harder to get a good heaphone setup for PSG than it is for 6 string or digital piano, the PSG is a lot louder acoustically than a solidbody electric so you have this unwanted delay effect.
Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jun 2020 5:04 am    

These things are self-contained and quick and easy. They sound okay, but not great (in my opinion):

Patrick Huey

Nacogdoches, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2020 7:58 am     Mixer

Justin Emmert wrote:
I use a small mixer. Have pedals for effects. The beauty of using a small mixer is you can adjust the levels of your guitar, tracks and headphones separately.

Justin
What mixer are you using currently?
Dave Grafe

Hudson River Valley NY
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2020 1:33 pm    

I really like the Roland Street Cube, great sound, Roland effects, two channels, amp modeling, a 1/8" mini TRS program input, and a 1/4" TRS headphone output. PLUS it will run up to eight hours on a mess of AA batteries.

I drive the program input with a CD, MD, IPAD, computer, phone, etc., plug the steel into a clean mic input, and play all night under headphones while the house sleeps. Sounds fabulous enough to warrant recording directly from the headphone jack, and $300 brand new is a decent price