| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Resonator guitar websites
Tom Keller

Greeneville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2020 4:34 pm    

Are there any good resonator guitar websites out there these days?

Thanks.
Nic Neufeld

Kansas City, Missouri
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2020 5:20 pm    

I've not gone there much, but just in terms of "shows up regularly in search results", this one still seems quite active:
https://www.resohangout.com/
Lee Holliday

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2020 5:37 am    

The activity from what I can gather has largely moved to facebook, there is everything resonator related and slide Lap steel, to the detriment of this forum I guess.

Regards

Lee
LaVern Skarzenski

North East,Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2020 7:21 am    

I think Lee is correct. These days everything it seems has gone to FB. I no longer use FB, too much other stuff there, and for the most part we get only Steel guitar or music related stuff here. I'm probably an old fogey but I am not particularly excited to see so many things going to FB.I see a lot of companies and manufacturers have eliminated their websites and gone to FB. Well as of now I'm not going back. Just my opinion.
LaVern

Valencia, Philippines
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2020 3:10 pm    

Facebook is great for sharing info on instruments. First off, it only shows you some replies, so you can chime in and share the same info 10 others have already shared but you did not see, and thus help the community! So give yourself a big pat on the back. Also, it is pretty much unsearchable in any realistic way, so don't waste your time searching to see if your question has been asked before. For sure it has, but no one can find it, or the answers. So just ask again. Even if the post currently on top has the same question. It's Facebook, after all! Your answer may be different!

</sarcasm>

FB is great for sharing pics and keeping up with old friends. It sucks for accumulating the wisdom of thousands of steel players for newbies and future players. Long live the Steel Guitar Forum. Reso Hangout is not bad - as a new reso player I've been using it a lot lately - easy to search, lots of good info there. And it seems to be fairly active.

Just my opinion.

Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California
Post  Posted 18 Apr 2020 8:20 am    

I remember when Reso-Nation was still going and people would visit the site and complain that it wasn’t very active in later years. There were a number of reasons for that, but the short version was that the owner/creator was losing interest coupled with the fact the registration process had become cumbersome - it was difficult for new people to join.

But my answer to the naysayers who were actual members was “why didn’t you post something instead of just perusing the threads, contributing nothing, then leave?” Never got any good answers to that question. An Internet forum is truly a place where you can make a difference.

I like the Dobroholics page on Facebook okay, but it’s not as easy to really do a comprehensive treatment of a topic as it is here, or on Resohangout.

We need more experienced players on Resohangout, so come on over and sign up! It costs nothing.

We have some good dobro discussions here on the SGF, bit a lot of the time I feel that some of the contributions are from folks who are all about pedal steel, and they might “dabble” a bit in the dobro world. Not that there’s anything wrong with that, but on Resohangout we can really get into more of the meat and potatoes.

Maryland
Post  Posted 18 Apr 2020 1:19 pm    

I'll echo that the Web based sites have largely run their course. Technology and time.

On FB I'm rather fond of the "Square Neck Journal" which attempts to focus on the player, technique, theory and best practices.

Questions often prompt "post a video and we'll see where you are stuck."

Also covers some lapsteel tunings/discussion.

Might not be for everyone...

fwiw

h

03\' Carter D-10
70\'s Dekley D-10
52\' Fender Custom
Many guitars by Paul Beard
Listowner Resoguit-L