| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  Shipping to the UK
Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2020 6:43 pm    

Who here has sold a steel (or any instrument) to someone in the UK? If you're not a dealer (or even if you are) how does their VAT work in that situation?

I want to ship one of my guitars to the UK for my use over there; will I have a duty-related problem if the instrument is already my property and I've no intention of selling it?

I'd appreciate some wisdom on this subject.
Larry Bressington

Nebraska
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2020 6:55 pm    

Roger, I would advise against shipping it, I was going to ship mine a few years back and I was told I would pay import duty tax, I did a test and I shipped a stomp box, when it arrived at mum’s house she had to pay duty tax on it before they would release it to her at the door.

Another clanger is, if the person doesn’t know what it is that works at the customs it goes into some other special customs room where they have to figure out what it is, that can take months!!!!! Oh and V.A.T is 20% these days...20% of that Emmons could buy you and me a few many jars of marmite Roger.

I’d highly recommend you just take it with you on your next flight over and explain that it’s yours, if they even ask you which they seldom do. The last time I took mine with me it was about 100 bucks for flight ✈️ luggage fees, (all 3 flights covered) well worth it then I left it there. 😊

I am also interested in knowing how people do that when they sell a steel guitar here and send them overseas, if the receiver pays import taxes.
Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2020 7:21 pm    

Thanks, Larry.

I wonder if using USPS is any different.
Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2020 12:04 am    

Larry Bressington wrote:
I am also interested in knowing how people do that when they sell a steel guitar here and send them overseas, if the receiver pays import taxes.

Yes, import duty and VAT.
Ake Banksell

Stockholm, Sweden
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2020 12:59 am    

We pay a horrible amount importing these guitars. I did pay about $3000 for my Williams and another 1000 to the taxman as it arrived.
I bought a banjo by Larry the Thinman at a bluegrassfestival in Grass Valley 2008 and nobody said nothing about fees at the customs as I arrived home. Cousine Bob made the banjocover dirty before I went off US. Laughing
Billy Murdoch

Glasgow, Scotland, U.K.
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2020 3:08 am    

I have several friends who have carried Pedal steels which they purchased in the U.S and have not heard of any problems.
I brought a new pedal steel home from Dallas and as I walked past the customs man He asked what was in the case I replied that it was a musical instrument I had on My best poker face (bored) and He said OK I carried on with the glum face until I cleared the airport vicinity and then let out a number nine Yee Haw.
Customs duty is a bummer You pay V.A.T on the value of the instrument and also the cost of shipping then there is import duty and then a further charge for the carrier to do the billing and collecting of the Duty
Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2020 3:21 am    

I had no idea! (Well, I suspected it was an issue but have carried instruments through airport customs with no problem in the past.)

I'm thinking of relocating in Britain but this info is making me consider selling my stuff in the US and buying replacements in the UK. It's obscene!

Thanks for sharing your experiences.
Larry Bressington

Nebraska
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2020 8:25 am    

I have carried with me on an aircraft across the Atlantic and back a double 10 about 20 times back in my road days, The most recent I did was probably three years ago, i’ve never had a problem with customs, tell them it’s a ’ Hawaiian guitar’ it makes life a lot simpler than telling them it’s a pedal steel. You can place a photograph of yourself playing it if that makes you feel better in the case in case you do get asked, I was only ever asked once in London and I told them it was a Hawaiian guitar and off I went.

You will not have these privileges if you use shipping methods.
Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2020 8:58 am    

Larry:

I, too, have flown with my D-10 and VAT/duty has never been an issue. Neither has getting the instrument through security (along with explanations as to its purpose) or emerging at the end of my journey hassle-free.

My problem is that I have several instruments I'd like to take to the UK - a pair of old Martins, two Teles, my Emmons and my steel-seat (and that's the bare minimum). VAT and duty on that lot would be crippling and, I'd think, quite a puzzle for them to properly evaluate.

PS: Sadly, Larry, I'm no longer allowed Marmite - stage 4 renal failure declares it a forbidden treat. Sad
Larry Bressington

Nebraska
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2020 10:43 am    

I’m sorry to hear Roger, I hope all is well brother.

Depending on your travelling situation the other thing you could do is for example if you’re taking the wife with you, is load her up with some guitars and load yourself up with some guitars. When you get off the plane go your separate ways through the customs lane so it don’t create attention and meet up on the other side.

If you’re travelling alone you would have to make several trips, so I suppose with that the best thing would be to sell them in the United States vs paying huge declarations, I see your dilemma Roger, it’s a tough call for which way to go.

I did load up on marmite for the lockdown, there wasn’t much competition at the British isle shelves, so I indulged! 😊

Back to the point. There is lots of information available on this over on the British expats forum, I think it will be worth the post Roger!

Or direct from the horses mouth https://www.gov.uk/moving-to-uk
Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2020 3:03 pm    

lol ... last time I had my Show Pro and my GFI seat with me , when I got to the customs in Croatia they asked me about it, and I said this is Hawaiian guitar, and a chair, customs officer looked at me in disbelief, and said “ who’s importing chairs from America ?” lol

Devon, UK
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2020 1:26 pm     UK import

Hi Roger- I have always travelled on tours etc with my guitar and amp, no duties, no problem ! BUT a couple of years ago I purchased my Zum S12 from USA, absolutely fine until it didnt arrive on time in UK, eventually finding out it was being held in customs until I forked out around five hundred quid on import and tax ??? Never ever paid anything like that before, nearly resulted in divorce !! All I can say is carry items with you! Now you know what Marmite can do to you - Yeuk ! Gus.

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2020 1:31 pm    

I'm discovering that it is the norm these days. I may have found a way around it but it's complicated!

Watch this space.
Geoff Cline

Southwest France
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2020 2:04 am    

If you are thinking of permanently relocating, typically you are allowed to bring in ONE container without VAT as part of the relocation process (we did it when we relocated to France from TX in 2017). Of course, each country in the EU is slightly different and I don't know what the details are for post-Brexit UK. That said, if you are relocating pursuant to a VISA or permanently returning to a country where you are a citizen (after living abroad), every country allows you to bring your "household contents" (that could include musical instruments), typically either a 20' or 40' container. an international relocation service can give details quickly...but it is THE BEST WAY to get instruments into Europe. Doing it any other way is the expensive nightmare already described by others (with which I have personal, painful experience). ALSO, while you can purchase locally but you won't get nearly the choice(s), prices or quality of what can be brought from the U.S. when it comes to pedal steels and related gear. Bon chance.