| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Peavey amp chassis straps
Steve Schmidt

Ramsey, MN, USA
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2020 6:04 pm    

I am in the process of making a new cabinet for a Vegas 400 and the project is going well. I'm sure some of you may have encountered this. the chassis straps are in pretty rough shape, quite rusty. I have buffed them out as good as I can, but they still are pretty pitted. I don't believe you can get these from Peavey any more. They are not the same as Twin Reverb straps. I may have to resort to some type of chrome paint as I don't know of many options.

This is what I'm looking for:

Any thoughts.....steve
Darvin Willhoite

Roxton, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2020 7:57 pm    

I always gave the rusty one's a coat of black epoxy paint. I usually changed the metal corners to black ones also, but I bought new one's, I didn't paint them. If the amp is very old the corners are probably beat up anyway. This was a Pacer cabinet I refurbished and put a Special 130 chassis in.

MSA Millennium, Legend, and Studio Pro, Reese's restored Universal Direction guitar, a restored MSA Classic SS, several amps, new and old, and a Kemper Powerhead that I am really liking. Also a Zum D10, a Mullen RP, and a restored Rose S10, named the "Blue Bird". Also, I have acquired and restored the plexiglass D10 MSA Classic that was built as a demo in the early '70s. I also have a '74 lacquer P/P, with wood necks, and a showroom condition Sho-Bud Super Pro.
John Swain

Winchester, Va
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2020 9:54 am    

I built a lightweight cabinet from Paulownia last year and used stainless steel washers and finish washers both available from Lowes.
Steve Schmidt

Ramsey, MN, USA
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2020 10:30 am    

Thank you both for the ideas. Both excellent suggestions. I think I may go the washer route as I won’t need the top corners. Using Ricks methods in his video, you can pull the corners together nicely and not use corners on top.
Thanks again
Paul Norman

Washington, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2020 11:22 am    

What John did with the washers will work good. You will never miss the straps. I have been painting them black but shiny looks good.
Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2020 7:36 pm    

Steve, my '77 LTD 400 didn't come with straps. Just four oval head machine screws and four flanged countersunk finish washers. Readily available at a good hardware store, from McMaster-Carr, and elsewhere.