| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Tell me about Telecasters with pedal steel pedals
Ben Standefer

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2020 1:50 pm    

I live in San Francisco and this just came up on the local Craigslist and my mind is completely blown.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/msg/d/bender-guitar-foot-pedal-activated/7098466955.html

Apparently MSA made one of these in the early 80s?
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EbUR6wI5w8s

* what even is this!? wtf?!
* what is it called
* has anybody ever seen on of these?
* what am I even looking at!!?!?

Pac NW
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2020 2:03 pm     Re: Tell me about Telecasters with pedal steel pedals

Ben Standefer wrote:
Craigslist: This was a custom build from hudson.

Jimmie?
Ian Worley

Sacramento, CA
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2020 2:40 pm    

There was a thread about that guitar when Jimmie built it for a now deceased forum member from Florida, early 2015 I believe. I think b0b deleted that thread because it turned into a big flame-fest. The buyer was, shall we say, not very tactful, and not very well liked by many on the forum. If you're interested in the guitar you should get a hold of Jimmie, or perhaps he will chime in here.

I don't know if he made any others, but MSA was probably the first to do it sometime around 1980. As far as I know they only built a half a dozen or so, built around Peavey T60 guitars. The most prominent player to use one of those was Phil Baugh, here he is with that guitar in action: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNh0mTtD5ps.
Jeremy Reeves

Chatham, IL, USA
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2020 2:41 pm    

he's been trying to sell that for a while. I've seen that ad several times over the past couple years maybe
Dave Hopping

Aurora, Colorado
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2020 2:49 pm    

You could call it a foot-operated cable-actuated bender mechanism for six-stringers who like PSG but are intimidated by the idea of biting the bullet and learning to play one. MSA made a few of them back in the day, but (Phil Baugh's stellar work notwithstanding)they didn't sell well enough to justify continued series production.....Kinda makes sense to me; after all, that cable snake does make running all around the stage a little problematical. Winking
Ian Worley

Sacramento, CA
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2020 3:04 pm    

taking it a step further, you might find this interesting too Ben: https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=2363624#2363624
Gary Spaeth

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2020 5:55 am    

i would love to have that on my lap steel.
J R Rose

Keota, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2020 6:38 am    

Marty Stuart has Clarence White's old Telecaster with a B-Bender type device on it and he uses it well. J.R.

Floresville, Texas
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2020 7:25 am    

My friend Steve Hennig made two of these pedal guitars, one for Phil Baugh and one for himself.

Steve is an incredible guitarist, audio engineer and producer.

Check out the mini-documentary he made about this intriguing instrument:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5QmInA0y6E

www.cherryridgestudio.com
www.steelguitartracksonline.com
Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2020 9:26 am    

Thanks for posting that, Tommy.
Ian Worley

Sacramento, CA
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2020 10:06 am    

That's really cool Tommy, he's really good with that thing. I remember seeing Steve playing that guitar in another video that someone posted here a while back with him, Steve Palousek and Eric Johnson https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaVXmk5FcH0. I just assumed it was one of the MSA guitars.

Now I'm wondering whether the guitar in the video above with Phil Baugh and Buddy Emmons is actually Steve's creation and not an MSA -- any insight on that? Do you know if there was any overlap or collaboration between Steve and MSA when they were building these? The components look very similar.
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2020 10:08 am     Re: Tell me about Telecasters with pedal steel pedals

Ben Standefer wrote:
I live in San Francisco and this just came up on the local Craigslist and my mind is completely blown.
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/msg/d/bender-guitar-foot-pedal-activated/7098466955.html
* what even is this!? wtf?!
* what is it called
* has anybody ever seen on of these?
* what am I even looking at!!?!?

It's a novelty thing, a bulky, expensive "toy".

Thankfully, guitars with pedals like this never caught on.
Ian Worley

Sacramento, CA
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2020 10:17 am     Re: Tell me about Telecasters with pedal steel pedals

Donny Hinson wrote:
...Thankfully, guitars with pedals like this never caught on.

"thankfully" ?
Tommy Detamore

Floresville, Texas
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2020 12:27 pm    

Ian Worley wrote:

Now I'm wondering whether the guitar in the video above with Phil Baugh and Buddy Emmons is actually Steve's creation and not an MSA -- any insight on that? Do you know if there was any overlap or collaboration between Steve and MSA when they were building these? The components look very similar.

Steve had always told me that he and Phil had the only two. Maybe he was referring to the ones he made. I don't know really about the MSA connection and how that plays into things. Maybe they took Steve's idea and ran with it (?)

www.cherryridgestudio.com
www.steelguitartracksonline.com
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2020 12:30 pm    

Yes Ian, thankfully! It's bad enough listening to us pedal steelers ramble on about cabinet drop, whether or not to tune ET or JI, tuning to 438 or 440, or the dreaded "overtuning". Yes, the pedal steel world is still periodically confused and aflutter with the challenges and foibles of a pedal guitar and how to make it work as desired; while the straight guitar remains basically a "point and shoot" instrument. Do we really want those problems vexing millions and millions of straight guitarists, too?

No, no, a thousand times no! Never the twain shall meet!
Laughing Razz
Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2020 12:37 pm    

Donny Hinson wrote:

No, no, a thousand times no! Never the twain shall meet!
Laughing

I'm with Donny here.

If you wanna dive into this pond grab a B or G Bender.

Multiple pedals on a 6 string, uhmm, what tuning, what do the pedals do ? How much time is someone gonna invest to play it proficiently , if at all ?

Who's writing the TAB ? Laughing

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website
Tom Keller

Greeneville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2020 1:48 pm    

For those asking what can the MSA foot pedal device do here's an example by Phil Baugh.

Enjoy

Tom

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZX6J0mgX4bc
scott murray

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2020 4:33 pm    

b-benders are a sore spot with a lot of steel players for obvious reasons.

Phil Baugh was a guitar genius who took stringbending and made it an artform. there's a reason only a handful of these pedal guitars were ever made and it's because there just aren't a lot of Phil Baughs out there. you can call it a toy or a novelty that never caught on, but it was another thing entirely in the right hands (and feet)

Waterbury Ctr. VT 05677 USA
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2020 4:49 pm    

A guy from upstate NY preceded that with a design, Brad Higgins. He sold a cabled assembly for guitar or dobro what have you. I recall opening for the Dixie Chicks and Brad trying to sell it to Emilie.
How about Clarence White?
Let's give credit where credit is due.
Ron Funk

Ballwin, Missouri
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2020 6:08 pm    

Reece's sales pitch from the Way Back Time Machine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbUR6wI5w8s[/url]
Darvin Willhoite

Roxton, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2020 7:47 pm    

I had one of the MSA units on a Peavey T60 for several years. I never really got used to playing it, the cables made it way out of balance and you had to hold the neck down while you were playing. It broke the B and E strings often until I took it apart and found that the body of the guitar hadn't been cut out quite enough where the strings came through and the string was dragging on a sharp edge. After I fixed that it wasn't quite so bad. It never took the place of a pedal steel for me, but Phil Baugh had it down to a science.

MSA Millennium, Legend, and Studio Pro, Reese's restored Universal Direction guitar, a restored MSA Classic SS, several amps, new and old, and a Kemper Powerhead that I am really liking. Also a Zum D10, a Mullen RP, and a restored Rose S10, named the "Blue Bird". Also, I have acquired and restored the plexiglass D10 MSA Classic that was built as a demo in the early '70s. I also have a '74 lacquer P/P, with wood necks, and a showroom condition Sho-Bud Super Pro.
Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2020 3:33 am    

scott murray wrote:
b-benders are a sore spot with a lot of steel players for obvious reasons.

Obvious reasons ?

They should only be a sore spot if we are playing with someone who is not a proficient B or G puller and is playing those 1 or 2 Steel guitar emulation licks because thats all they know.

Brent plays with Paul, Vince plays with Paul, Marty plays with Gary, Brad plays with Randall, I don't think Paul , Gary or Randall see them as sore spots !

Its not the Instrument, its the player. Very Happy

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website
Gary Spaeth

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2020 5:02 am    

is there a patent online for the msa pedal guitar?
Darvin Willhoite

Roxton, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2020 5:31 am    

I'm sure the patent is expired if they had one, but there may still be copies online. I know they made at least two versions of this gadget, and there may have been more. A lot of companies apply for patents for every idea they can come up with to broaden their protection.
MSA Millennium, Legend, and Studio Pro, Reese's restored Universal Direction guitar, a restored MSA Classic SS, several amps, new and old, and a Kemper Powerhead that I am really liking. Also a Zum D10, a Mullen RP, and a restored Rose S10, named the "Blue Bird". Also, I have acquired and restored the plexiglass D10 MSA Classic that was built as a demo in the early '70s. I also have a '74 lacquer P/P, with wood necks, and a showroom condition Sho-Bud Super Pro.
Ivan Posa

Hamilton, New Zealand
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2020 4:03 pm    

Very cool.