| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  looking for Julian Tharpe's DANNY BOY
scott murray

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2020 10:50 am    

some of us have still never heard Julian's version of Danny Boy... can someone share it with me and the rest of the class?

thanks

Last edited by scott murray on 26 Mar 2020 2:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2020 11:16 am    

I have the LP, I just dug it out, I probably have not put it on the turntable in over 40 years.

I'll run an MP3 and post it

Its not like I have a gig tonight !

Unless someone else does it first of course !

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Last edited by Tony Prior on 26 Mar 2020 11:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Peter Freiberger

California, USA
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2020 11:36 am    

I think this was the piece he played entirely in open position? I've got it but can't figure out how to post an MP3. And I don't have a teenager handy to show me and snort derisively.
Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2020 11:56 am    

here ya go.

http://www.tprior.com/DBOYJT.mp3

I don't know if its done in an open tuning or not, but it sounds like it could be.

I just know I have the LP and probably bought it 40 years ago and haven't listened to it in easily that long !

its from this LP

I will add though, when I went to dig up the Julian LP I ran across this one, which I didn't even know I had. ! "HOT" Young Buddy is all over this one !

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website
Jack Goodson

new brockton,alabama (deceased)
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2020 12:21 pm     danny boy?

this was played in the key of A with the a and b pedals down with the bar laying beside him....thanks jack
scott murray

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2020 2:42 pm    

thanks a lot Tony. and Jack! amazing.

does anyone have Dave Burley's Julian/Curly CD, or know how to obtain one? I'd live to hear his live version for comparison Cool

Nashville, TN, usa
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2020 8:02 pm    

Tony Prior wrote:
here ya go.

http://www.tprior.com/DBOYJT.mp3

I don't know if its done in an open tuning or not, but it sounds like it could be.

I just know I have the LP and probably bought it 40 years ago and haven't listened to it in easily that long !

its from this LP

I will add though, when I went to dig up the Julian LP I ran across this one, which I didn't even know I had. ! "HOT" Young Buddy is all over this one !

See if you can find the mistake on little liza jane!
Steve Hinson

Hendersonville Tn USA
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2020 8:14 pm    

I dunno if the record cut is all in open position,but I saw/heard JT play it about 3am one morning at"Banks'Ballroom"in Birmingham(I'd love to hear Bing Crosby read that aloud)...he played a bunch of it open but he used the bar too...he was really something.

SH
Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2020 12:11 am    

Wow!
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.
Bob Watson

Champaign, Illinois, U.S.
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2020 2:07 am    

He owned a bar across the street from the Demon's Den, not on the corner, but a few doors down, back in the mid 1970's. I saw him play it there without using a bar. He was truly an amazing musician. My favorite song off of the Jet Age album is his version of "On A Clear Day".
Frank Freniere

The First Coast
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2020 4:58 am    

Bob Watson wrote:
He owned a bar across the street from the Demon's Den, not on the corner, but a few doors down, back in the mid 1970's. I saw him play it there without using a bar. He was truly an amazing musician. My favorite song off of the Jet Age album is his version of "On A Clear Day".

My favorite is "Where Is The Love" - amazing!

Dan Burnham of BMI Guitars knew Julian well and talks about "Danny Boy" in this old thread: https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=316860&highlight=tharpe

I actually met Julian in the early '80's at the St. Louis Convention. I asked him to do a particular song and I thought he was going to beat the snot out of me! He was wired differently.
Neil Degraw

Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2020 7:05 am    

One day when I was visiting Shot on the 2nd floor of the Sho Bud store, Julian Tharpe, came up. He was playing for Barbara Mandrell at the time. Shot mentioned that I should hear Julian, play Danny Boy without using a bar. So I went with Julian down to his car and he got his steel, first time I seen a case with wheels. He luged it up to the second floor and gave me a private concert of Danny Boy with no bar. I was thrilled and it’s still one of my bragging rights.
Ben Lawson

Brooksville Florida
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2020 4:19 pm    

In the early '70's I was upstairs in the ShoBud store with Shot and Gene Schibel.
Shot was showing us Julians new 14 string steel. I was sitting at his guitar when Julian walked in. He said play it but there was no way. He sat down and played all of Danny Boy open! No bar!!
He was a character and put on a mini concert for us.
Sorry Scott, I didn't have what you asked for but I had to share a great memory.
Jack Goodson

Post  Posted 27 Mar 2020 4:48 pm     julian?

i had the honor of one on lessons for quite a while and we even worked in the same band together for a while. i played fiddle and steel and he PLAYED steel. he taught me how to play danny boy and also how to play the boogie. we would do a square dance (at least three per night, i would play old joe clark single note and he would play three part harmony. sometimes i would almost forget that i was playing. we would also do lost indian on fiddle and steel, which he also did the harmony parts....sho do miss that boy....thanks jack
Floyd Lowery

Deland, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2020 9:15 am    

Julian and I became very good friends and spent a lot of time together. I could tell a lot of stories, but I won't.
After he was gone, I realized I never got anyone to take a picture of us. I sure have missed him.
scott murray

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2020 7:50 pm    

how about just one or two stories Floyd? Winking

Deland, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2020 6:05 am    

Well O K here's one.
Julian was playing with Beau Monday in Panama City Florida. Early one morning the police were driving down I-10 and saw Beau running down the road in his under ware. They stopped him and found out he got in his bed to find a snake under the covers. They went back to the apartment to find Julian laughing his ass off. I asked Julian what kind of snake it was. He had no idea.
scott murray

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2020 11:05 am    

Laughing
good one!

Post  Posted 29 Mar 2020 11:07 am     ?

yes, he must have been really scared if the police saw him on I10 that is about 30 miles from pc.....jack
David Wright

Pilot Point ,Tx USA.
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2020 4:14 am    

Julian was one of 3 steel hero's for me, When I moved to Dallas in 1970, he was playing MSA and working with Ray Price. I was learning to play, when he wasn't on the road he would play clubs around Dallas, I followed him from club to club. He was one of a kind in him playing. My Dad built his FIRST 14 string steel..Miss him......

MSA built him a 20 string as I remember...
Floyd Lowery

Deland, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2020 8:20 am     Re: ?

Jack Goodson wrote:
yes, he must have been really scared if the police saw him on I10 that is about 30 miles from pc.
....jack
I must have put the wrong number down for the road he was on. It has been probably 40 years since I was down in that area. I guess it was 98 maybe.
Cameron Fulp

Lindale Texas, USA
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2020 7:24 pm    

Somewhere on here was a link to Julian Playing at the Fuzzy Duck in Alabama. Maybe someone can re-post it. I couldn’t find it again. One of my heroes!