| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  best lubricant for pedal shaft
Lonnie Portwood

Jacksonville, fl. USA
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2020 4:50 pm    

I m cleaning a very dirty early Shobud d=10 with two hole changer. This is my first experience with barrel adjusters, and did'n realize these were in fact the "tuners. I took everything apart, cleaned and polished, lubricated with 3 in 1 machine oil. I'm supposing I should screw the barrels to about the middle of the travel, with the barrel tight against the rack. Now after disassembling the pedal bar, I need to know the best lubricant for the pedal shaft, and where to find some shims to take care of too much end play between the pedals. I was thinking 3 in one, or white lithium? Any advice is welcome. Lonnie

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2020 5:48 pm    

I use light synthetic oil. Grease would attract dust and dirt.
Jerry Jones

Franklin, Tenn.
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2020 2:07 pm    

The white lithium grease I used hardened over time and caused the pedals to drag. I would use light oil as Kevin suggested.

Arbor shims are available from McMaster-Carr in a variety of thicknesses. I think the ID/OD specs are 1/2" x 3/4"?

https://www.mcmaster.com/arbor-shims

Seminary, Mississippi, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2020 2:21 pm     psg

I like the 3-IN-1 PTFE Lubricant. Bottle has the teal green wrapping. I buy it at Lowe's.
Lonnie Portwood

Jacksonville, fl. USA
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2020 3:08 pm    

Thanks, guys! I use synthetic oil, works great! Now, this thing is driving me crazy trying to adjust the rods/tuning. When I reassembled (after deep cleaning everything) I set he barrels to middle of the travel, with the spring end snug against the rack. Tune with machine heads, then with pedal down, tune the pull rod and before I get to pitch, the open tuning begins to raise. Ex, pedal A tuned to B, 5th string, pedal down, tune the the allen (pull rod) and won't quiet pull to C# before raising the open B. Any advise will be appreciated. Thanks, Lonnie