| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Found a JBL K110 - Sounds great for Steel:
Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2020 10:13 am    

Poking around in the back of the local Vintage shop and came across this great buy on a JBL K110!
I scored an unfinished 1x10" Cab from a local B3 guru friend (who also builds custom Princeton Reverbs), from a repurposed old multi speaker Hammond Organ console.
Sounds really huge! No shortage of bottom end. Very surprised! It is an 8ohm K110 and I am running it from a 100W SF Twin Reverb. I also have a Dual Shownan Head, and a SF Vibrosonic (both 8ohm output transformer) that I will try it with.
I think this is a 100W power rating on these???... is that right?
No shortage of volume either.
I also got that lil mic stand for $5 bucks.

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2020 2:57 pm    

Nice find.
Bill Hatcher

Atlanta Ga. USA
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2020 5:14 pm    

go easy on it. there is a reason why you dont see steel amps with just one 10" speaker.
Peter Freiberger

California, USA
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2020 6:01 pm    

JBL K models sound great. Not quite as great as the D model speakers, in my opinion, but they do handle more power. People love the sound of the old Standels, Twins and Sho-Bud amps. I don't think it was a coincidence they all had JBL D120's and D130's (optional on the Twin, but that's what Emmons had in his in his L.A. days). Also originally in Session 400's. More delicate, but a great sound.
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2020 8:47 pm    

The K-110 was rated @ 75 watts RMS and 150 watts "Program power".
Paul Sutherland

Placerville, California
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2020 11:38 pm    

A 10 inch speaker will not move as much air as a comparable 12 or 15, so it's not as loud. The resulting tendency is to turn the amp up. Resist the urge. Save it for low volume use.

The generous size of the cab is undoubtedly contributing to the perceived bass response. The cap appears to be deeper than normal. How deep is it? Is the cab open back or closed back?

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2020 10:47 am    

Yes this speaker will mainly be for my non-drummer gigs, which I have had alot of lately with local Singer/Songwriters. I really like having some Duo or Trio gigs with Steel and no drums.
I have a 1x15 D130 Cab and a 1x12 K120 cab here also, all 8ohm, So I am running the Twin with the K110 cab to my right and behind me, and one of the other speakers off to my left and behind me.
Sounds great here at the house.
The Hammond cab is 14.5" wide, 13.75 high, and 13.75 deep. It is completely open back, but I am thinking of making a baffle from another piece of wood that also came off the repurposed Hammond Organ console.
When I give the Hammond Cab a good rap with my knuckle, it gives off a nice wood "Chirp" that kind of has it's own reverb to it. I think they we on to something. There is a hole in one side where it was mounted into the large Console. I am converting that hole to be the Input Jack, and I happen to have a Speaker Cord with a right-angle-jack on one end. I am keeping an eye out for a cool handle and maybe a grill(cloth?) of some kind. I also found I have a speaker-cover from another rig that fits it pretty good.
Dave Zirbel

Sebastopol, CA USA
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2020 7:08 pm    

Good score...I’m jealous! That would go good with my Princeton... Very Happy