| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Unidentified Valco / Regal
Kurt Weissenborn

Oak Park, Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 22 Oct 2020 7:26 am    

I inherited this student guitar, but don’t know much of it’s history. It belonged to my deceased father in law, and was probably never used after the lessons ended. The case was water damaged due to a fire. I replaced the tuning machines and repaired the electronics, and it’s a great little guitar. But I cannot find a number, stamp, insignia, or any kind of mark on it. I assume anything like that was an adhesive label that is long gone. The color and body style match Valco-Supro-Nationals from the 50s. But I have never found a matching guitar with both controls on one side. The pickup does not have exposed screw heads, and all original hardware screws have slotted heads.

The only thing I’m sure of is that it was probably made by National in their Chicago factory. It seems like it was put together with spare parts, which might make sense for a batch of student guitars for a music school.

Rocky Hill, CT
Post  Posted 22 Oct 2020 7:31 am    

It was built by Regal, not Valco. The shape and pickup indicate ca. 1940, give or take a few years.
Kurt Weissenborn

Oak Park, Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 22 Oct 2020 9:23 am     Re: Unidentified Valco / Regal

Noah Miller wrote:
It was built by Regal, not Valco. The shape and pickup indicate ca. 1940, give or take a few years.

Thanks for the info. The slotted screws made me wonder if it was pre-war, but after cleaning and repair, it is in surprisingly good condition given its age. It’s probably worth more with the original broken tuning machines, but I still have them.