| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  New Quilter and TT15
Greg Johnson

Greencastle, Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2020 7:11 am    

Spent my first 3 hour gig with a Quilter Tone Block 202 and my TT15 last night. I admit it took about 1.5 sets to get it dialed in but what a great sound. I already owned the TT15 and since Quilter don't make a 15" cabinet Travis gave me the dimensions of a cabinet he liked for the 15". So Guitar Cabinets Direct,(who make the very best bar none) whipped me up a cab and I now have a TT Quilter system. So shout out for all the help from Travis Toy. Thank you.

Quilter TT
Evans FET 500
Fender Twin 65 RI
American Takimine
Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2020 8:52 am    

Great idea and looks cool!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Jim Cooley

The 'Ville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2020 2:12 pm    

I've been playing the same setup with the Double-T 15 in a Rick Johnson cabinet, and really like the sound. I also have a Double-T 12 in a Telonics cabinet. The two together are better than I deserve. Do you mind sharing the cabinet dimensions Travis gave you?
Greg Johnson

Greencastle, Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2020 3:16 pm     Cab

Sure. It b is 18x18x12. OPEN BACK. Sounds great.
Quilter TT
Evans FET 500
Fender Twin 65 RI
American Takimine
Steven Paris

Los Angeles
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2020 12:49 am    

I'd like to hear opinions on the TT-12 vs. TT-15 with the Quilter. Which is better, and why?

Englewood, Florida
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2020 12:57 pm    

I've been using Quilter amps exclusively since the ToneBlock 200 first appeared on the scene, 2014 or so. The 200 was difficult to EQ. Not a conventional tone stack. I had to use an outboard 3 band parametric eq to tame the high end, but that worked OK. Eventually, I sprung for a Steelaire Rackmount, which solved the eq dilemma but I ended up with a gigantic 6 space rack that weighed about what a Twin Reverb weighs. When the ToneBlock 202 came out, I liked the EQ / tone stack enough to try it. To my ears, I find it easier to dial in a new room more quickly with the Steelaire. The 202 takes a bit of getting used to. There is an interaction between the BASS control and the MID and TREBLE controls than I wasn't used to.

OK, what do I take to gigs?
I play 2-3 one nighters a week so portability, setup and teardown are critical. Also being able to dial in a new room is important since I play 6 or more local venues pretty regularly. AND ALL ARE SONICALLY DIFFERENT.

My current favorite is the ToneBlock 202 in the BlockDock cab with a TT-12. I also have a single 15 SICA neo which I like but which usually stays at home. I have two TT-12 cabs which sound great together, but most of my dates are played through a single 12. The TT-12 has a particularly warm and welcome GROWL to it that I haven't found in other 12s.

The Steelaire is a bit easier to dial in but it is a bit less portable. I have it in a two space rack case, but it is still more difficult to access the fx loop (which I rarely use) and the speaker jack. The difference in flexibility of the eq is not very noticeable, compared to the 202.

To sum it all up, for a 'haul it / set it up / play' rig, the TB202 and TT-12 is what goes out the door with me. I get delay and chorus from a TC Electronics Nova System, or other multi-fx box.

THIS IS THE BEST SOUNDING STEEL RIG I'VE EVER OWNED (and I've owned MOST of them)

For a large, outdoor or stadium show I would use an additional speaker, probably the second TT-12

That said, I have not tried the TT-15, but have been steering away from the midrange I hear in 15" speakers for many years now. Just a matter of preference.
Jim Cooley

The 'Ville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2020 2:20 pm    

Thanks, Greg. I happen to have one just that size.

Steven Paris:
"I'd like to hear opinions on the TT-12 vs. TT-15 with the Quilter. Which is better, and why?"

I typed an answer, then decided it was somewhat off topic. Steven, check your PMs.