| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Question about Telonics Amps
Tony Edwards

Six Mile, South Carolina
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2020 4:35 pm    

Could someone please explain to me the difference between the Telonics TCA 500-A TCA 500-B and TCA 500-C amps?

Thank you for helping me to understand the difference!

Tony
ZumSteel SD10; CLR Custom SD10; Telonics 500-B w/ TT 15; Hilton Low Profile VP; Frenchy's Steel Mill Strings; George L's Cables; BJS Tone Bars; Hoffmeyer Picks. This combination produces a Heavenly tone! Psalm 33:2 "Praise the Lord with...an instrument of ten strings."
Chris Grigsby

Boulder, CO
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2020 8:03 pm    

Hi Tony, try this: https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=304787&highlight=telonics+tel

I have a TCA-500C Mini 12 and absolutely love it. And no one comes close to Telonics when it comes to customer support...even if you aren’t the original owner, they STILL treat you like royalty.

Best,
Chris

New Orleans, LA, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2020 6:23 am    

You could also call or write Telonics, and likely get a more specific explanation. They answer the phone.and like everyone has mentioned, the support is top notch.

In addition, all their user manuals are fantastic. I hate complex gear, but I understand and appreciate every feature.
Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2020 7:56 am    

Going from the "B" to the "C" only adds the Speakon remote speaker connector and switch.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Mark Dunn

Suffolk, England
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2020 3:42 pm    

Info compiled checking previous versions of the user manual and my own best recollection:

The first thing to note is all versions of the TCA-500 chassis should sound the same if connected to the same speaker/cab. The critical tone shaping circuitry as far as I’m aware has not changed.

The TCA-500 was the first production chassis. You should find this chassis in early combo’s with a 1U effects slot and loaded with a 12” or more commonly a 15” TSNEO speaker. The front baffle is normally removable.

With the Mini (no 1U slot) and Head case formats in production, the TCA-500B chassis added the facility if required to fit an extension speaker connector. The rear panel 24VDC power connector was fitted as standard on 1U combo models, providing power for the Handy Patch. The rear panel power connector of the Mini & Head combo chassis was repurposed to provide 9VDC power for stomp box pedals and the later 9V powered MX-200. TCA-500B combo’s were fitted with the ‘tilt-back foot’.

The TCA-500C introduced a power switch change. Led by customer feedback, the ‘Mains AC On’ and ‘Power Amp On’ switch locations were reversed - the Mains AC On switch is now on the front panel. A speaker switch was added, allowing the extension speaker to be switch in/out. The Pre EQ loop signal levels were slightly tweaked to ensure compatibility with older stomp box effects.

Some combo’s in the early years were retrofitted. For example, you might see a TCA-500 chassis with a 24VDC power rear panel connector.

Whatever model you own or consider purchasing be assured of one thing.... it certainly does the job! Very Happy

Hope that helps Tony
Tommy Detamore

Floresville, Texas
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2020 6:29 am    

In addition to all the changes mentioned, somewhere along the line I believe they tweaked the algorithm for the onboard reverb to have less modulation. I’m thinking it appeared in the “C” version.

www.cherryridgestudio.com
www.steelguitartracksonline.com
Mark Dunn

Suffolk, England
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2020 8:54 am    

Yes, that's right. And yes, I think all the version C combo's have the later algorithm. You start to forget these things as time goes by. Thanks for reminding me Tommy. Hope you're keeping busy at Cherry Ridge. Best M
gary pierce

Rossville TN
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2020 6:53 pm    

I'm not sure if the early ones had a modeled XLR out.
Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2020 12:03 am    

Maybe not but it's a great feature - I send it to the PA and use it at home for recording.
Mark Dunn

Suffolk, England
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2020 8:09 am    

Hello Gary - The analogue modelled XLR Out was part of the design from day one. All TCA-500 case types and all versions have the same modelled output.
gary pierce

Rossville TN
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2020 7:06 am    

Thanks Mark, I'm looking forward to trying it out next week on a job.