| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Who's using Stereo Steel
Gary Hamblin

Callao, VA
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2019 1:36 am    

Who's using Stereo Steel and which Effects are you using? Thanks Gary.
JCH/SD10 ,ZUM,D10 ,Rosewood Emmons Push Pull,T8 Fender Stringmaster.Nashville and Session 400,Walker Stereo Steel,Boss Katana 100 and John Hughey's Vegas 400.Hilton Pro Delay,Telonics Volume Pedal, Steelers Choice Seat,Live Steel Strings.
Carl Kilmer

East Central, Illinois
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2019 6:55 am    

Gary, I have 2 Stereo Steel amps. On one I have Lexicon MX300
and the other one I have the Lexicon MX400.

Valencia, Philippines
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2019 7:38 am    

I use a Stereo Steel at the resto-bar my band practices and will soon (we hope) be playing at. I'm just using a Nu-X Ocean reverb mini-pedal for fx.

I gave this small but sweet reverb a plug a while back:

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=347799

Oceanside, Calif, USA
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2019 8:04 am    

I use a Stereo Steel w a Lexicon MPX1
Tiny Olson

Mohawk River Valley, Upstate NY
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2019 3:18 pm    

I've been playing through GD Walker's, Stereo Steel since February of 2002. For almost 18 yrs it has never let me down. I have more amps than I need for certain. I plan to sell a few after the new year. One that I will NEVER sell is my Stereo Steel rig..!!

The effects unit that originally came with it was a Digitech Quad 4. I liked it very much but switched to the TC Electronics M-One XL about 7 yrs ago. The TC has GD's presets installed, is great sounding and user friendly. I have two different sets of GD's cabs. Two are open backs with Black Widow 1501-4s and the other two are closed backs. I usually use the open backs.

GD Walker is also a great guy to deal with and just a great guy in general..!!!
Doug Jones

Oregon & Florida
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2019 3:21 pm    

I have a black Pre-amp and use a TC Electronic M-300. I run it into the power amp section of 1 or 2 Evans FET-500s. Another great benefit is using the headphones out for monitoring. I'll either have both ears or just one.
David Spires

Millersport, OH
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2019 3:33 pm    

I used to use the Stereo Steel (still have it!), and I used it first with the TC Electronics M-One XL. I loved it (the TC), until it failed completely mid-show on me. I have a policy when it comes to gear like that... Ha!

Used the Lexicon MX-200 after that, and liked it - but not quite as much.

I ran into 2 Nashville 112s, power amp in.

I moved away from using the Stereo Steel overall when my rig was just too big, and I was looking to simplify (I also ran a Blues Jr, and two other pedalboards for other instruments).

Best of luck using it... It's a great sounding amp.

Sincerely,

David Spires

Ballwin, Missouri
Post  Posted 14 Dec 2019 9:46 am    

For those that are using Stereo Steel, coupled with T.C. Electronic M-One with Gerry's presets,
which of Gerry's presets do you find you use the most?

Pre-Set Numbers and names....

And which of Gary's pre-sets in your M-One do you find you use the least?

Thanks
Ron
Tiny Olson

Post  Posted 18 Dec 2019 4:21 pm    

Hi Ron:

The settings I use most are #8, 9, 10, 11 and 12... they are all "combo" settings that employ delay and reverb. #8 has the shortest / fastest delay return and #12 the longest. I use 10, 11 & 12 the most out of these.

The nice thing with the TC M-One-XL is that there are two, separate knobs to control the delay and verb levels individually for these settings. You can have one of these settings punched-in and if you want the delay out of the equation for a song, just turn that knob down. You'll have just verb and it is adjustable with it's own knob too. I find that convenient and easy to use for sure.

Those two knobs work the same for pretty much all settings GD Walker sets up on the TC.

I'm not a big chorus user, but do use setting #13 (thin chorus) now and then. I also use the "Nightlife" setting and #22 (note doubler) as well.

There are plenty of nice reverb-only settings in the lower numbers as well.

Good luck man and have fun.
Ron Funk

Ballwin, Missouri
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2019 9:27 pm    

Thanks Tiny

'always admired the sound you had while playing live gigs with Gene Watson

Were those days perhaps pre-Stero Steel?

If so, how did you obtain such a great full sound?

Thanks Again -
Regards
Ron
Charles Kurck

Living in Arkansas but Heaven is home
Post  Posted 19 Dec 2019 4:56 am     Retro Rack

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?start=0&t=196779 

Darrell Criswell

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 20 Dec 2019 7:17 am    

I am sure it has been discussed before but what is the idea behind stereo steel?intuitively it doesn't seem to make any sense/
Ron Funk

Ballwin, Missouri
Post  Posted 20 Dec 2019 10:26 am    

Hi Darrell -

I've recently learned a lot about Stereo Steel by using The Forum's "Search" capability.

Just enter "Stereo Steel" enter the 'search box' and a whole lot of useful info ("past posts") pops up.

I've found I get more beneficial info (far more than what is typically contained in one specific individual's post) by using Forum's "search" capability.

The "Search Function" is a great feature of The Forum.

Hope this helps.
John De Maille

On a Mountain in Upstate Halcottsville, N.Y.
Post  Posted 20 Dec 2019 11:31 am    

I've been using a Stereo Steel for about ten years. I use a TC Electronics M-300 with it. It's a two engine processor with many effects split on two sides. I'm very happy with the system and it serves me well.
Kevin Fix

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 20 Dec 2019 5:35 pm    

Back in the early 90's I was using a Peavey DPC 750 power amp and Peavey Profex II. Was driving a pair of Peavey Classic 115 E's. Had the Newman presets back then. Had one Hell of a true stereo sound. Going through a PA system was awesome. Was the best I ever heard. I play light weight now. Using a Peavey NV 112 with a Steel Guitar Black Box. The only effects I use is my Reverb set on about 3. All I need for me and my Super Pro. Played our last show for the year last Saturday. Taking it easy until next April. Hibernation time in the North!!!!
Tiny Olson

Post  Posted 20 Dec 2019 7:00 pm    

Hey Ron-

Thanks for your kind words man.

I used several rigs during the 11 yrs I worked for Gene. They included LTD and Session 400s, Webbs, Evans FET 500s (big and small cabs, the original high volt models). Also had a Nash 400 later on. The Peaveys and Evans never let me down out on the road. The Webbs, although they sounded great did not like riding on the bus.

In answer to your question, it was probably the FET 500s (big cabs) most of the time, either one or two. I often carried a spare Session 400 on the bus and liked using it and one of the Evans together sometimes. In late 1979 I started using an Ibanez AD-80, Analog Delay. Awhile later they came out with the AD-9 which was essentially the same unit but using just one 9-volt battery. Either of those little boxes sounded awesome to me and I even used them on Gene's recordings.

During that time I played mostly a '78 Emmons. Also a '75 Emmons, an '83 ZumSteel and a '85 JCH. I liked them all very much but that '78 Emmons had that extra mojo.!!

Thanks Ron and stay well.