| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Can’t play in cowboy boots
Mack Quinney

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 17 Dec 2019 5:33 pm    

Ok, I’ve tried, but it ain’t working. I play in a country band but for the life of me I can’t play pedal steel in cowboy boots. I can wear the hat, but not the boots! Ha ha.

I’ve tried pointy toed, round toed and now square toed boots, but the soles at the toes get caught under the couplings at the pedal connections.

Thoughts? I feel silly wearing a cowboy hat and tennis shoes!

Mack

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 17 Dec 2019 5:38 pm     All hat no boots

Same here.
I play old Fenders,and cant "feel" the pedals enough to suit me.
I keep a pair of Sperry's in my bag.
On the 5 -7 songs I'm not behind the steel,the boots are on.
Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 17 Dec 2019 7:01 pm    

meh, play in your socks.. I did it for 40+ years onstage.. No one cares.. Unless you have a hole in your sock and your toe peeks out.

Then the entire band falls on the floor laughing, and the girls point at you and giggle... It happened to me.... bob

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......
Don R Brown

Rochester, New York, USA
Post  Posted 17 Dec 2019 7:46 pm    

I had the identical problem. Boots kept conflicting with the pedals or rods. I wore moccasins and had no problem, plus I think it helped me "feel" the pedals better.

BUT - when I started playing out at a few jams etc, I really felt out of place with moccasins and started forcing myself to practice at home in boots. Result is I now feel much more at home in boots than any other footwear. Boots now feel very "normal". I'm not sure HOW I solved the pedal problem but it seems to be under control.

If you are playing out, IMHO stay with what is a known quality. But if you WANT to wear boots, I'd suggest staying with them when you're at home or some place where a few clams don't hurt. You might find it comes around to you.

Placerville, California
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2019 12:20 am    

When I was young I forced myself to wear cowboy boots. It seemed to be expected. Now that I'm older I wear race car shoes because I can play much better with them. I'm sure some of the groups I play with wish i would go back to boots, but I've let them know that's not going to happen. I haven't been fired yet.

Rochester, New York, USA
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2019 5:50 am    

That's fine, Paul, but I would not suggest pushing your luck with a firesuit and helmet! Mr. Green

Langford, BC, Canada
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2019 6:13 am    

I played a few joints where the firesuit and helmet might have been a good option.
Terry Winter

Saskatchewan, Canada
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2019 6:45 am    

I struggled greatly some 40 plus years ago when starting to play and one day just made up my mind to play width either cowboy boots (rounded toe) or regular shoes. Mind over matter for me and it seemed to work.
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2019 6:57 am    

I've never given it a thought. I just play with whatever shoes I have on, although in bands its round toe boots.

I used to live in Kansas City, Mo and boots were common wear even for work in the area. I was a manager and wore a coat and tie but also wore boots. Thus that probably helped wearing boots for steel.

The best advice I got one time was "play the guitar, don't let it play you".
Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2019 7:54 am    

Skate Board Shops usually have cool looking stage shoes, and they are all about being able to feel the board (pedals in our case).
Vans are popular.
One local player styles the pedals with Converse high tops.
Roy Carroll

North of a Round Rock
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2019 7:57 am    

I have always played in boots. I use round toe with a riding heel. Roper style boots seem to be harder. Here in Texas, you might get lynched if you don't have on boots or something that looks like boots! It never seemed to hurt Mr.Emmons and Mr.Day. It really is just a matter of getting used to them. Stay with it, it will come to you.

Henrietta, Tx
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2019 8:16 am    

I used to play in boots but the older I get, the more I appreciate practicality and dress shoes are way more practical to me than boots while playing. I still play the same bad notes but I do it more comfortably.
Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2019 8:17 am    

You maybe need a pair of "shoots", they're tennis shoes with a boot top.
I saw a pair of them in Austin, Texas that they'd made up for Willy Nelson. Very Happy
Erv
John De Maille

On a Mountain in Upstate Halcottsville, N.Y.
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2019 9:07 am    

My mode of footwear when I play out is cowboy boots. Regular cowboy boots, pointed toe and high, canted heel. I've always played in them,so, I don't ha e a problem at all. However, around the house or at a very casual gig, I'll wear anything that's comfortable and gets the job done. I once did a recording job playing in my Timberland work boots. I had forgotten to take something else to wear and was stuck with those boots. They worked OK and I got the job done.
So, what I'm saying is just play in what's comfortable to you. Don't try to impress or hinder yourself to get in with the in crowd. Don't add another obstacle to a challenging instrument.
Bill Terry

Bastrop, TX
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2019 9:56 am    

Quote:
Roper style boots seem to be harder.

Hey Roy, Exactly the opposite for me.. Ropers with the shorter heel are WAY more manageable. The riding or dogging heels really mess me up.

Off topic: Everything you wanted to know about heel types, and why they're made the way they are (unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a heel designed specifically for playing steel guitar Smile:
https://www.westernbootbarn.com.au/cowboy-boot-heel-types

Also, I've found that Justin ropers are made with either a thinner or softer sole leather that lets me feel the pedals way better than a couple of other pairs of Ropers I have by Tony Lama.
Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2019 10:37 am    

Howbout a high-top Minnetonka? It will at least faintly resemble a boot, have plenty of flexibility, and won’t look dorky with your boot-cut Wranglers, and the sole doesn’t extend past your toe like some cowboy boots do. You can always cut off the fringe if it gathers up your cuffs.

Full disclosure- I play in my Tecova round-toes, with a 1.25” riding heel, though I experiment with non-cowboy footwear in the privacy of my own practice room.

Last edited by Fred Treece on 18 Dec 2019 3:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Travis Wilson

Johnson City, TX
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2019 12:52 pm    

I was told I had to play in cowboy boots. At first it was hard, but after a few weeks I couldn’t really tell I was wearing them. I think my boots also had to stretch out because it was hard to roll my ankle at first but now it seems normal.
Bill C. Buntin

Post  Posted 18 Dec 2019 1:34 pm    

Mack

I got a pair of luechese boots that have leather soled and eel skin. Before that I had fairly good luck with original Justin ropers.

Practice with boots till you get used to it. Now that’s all I play in.

Currently using ariat

Tried organ masters. But talk about dorky looking...

Now even on rare occasion that I might play organ, I still use the boots.

Bill

Last edited by Bill C. Buntin on 18 Dec 2019 1:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2019 1:37 pm    

I like my genuine woose footwear:

Bill C. Buntin

Post  Posted 18 Dec 2019 1:41 pm    

Erv I’ve seen a few church organist using those genuine moccasins. Never tried them. But looks comfortable

Bill
Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2019 1:46 pm    

Bill,
VERY comfortable. Very Happy
Erv
David Spires

Millersport, OH
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2019 1:54 pm    

I've always hated playing in cowboy boots, but the Ariat Ropers that have a rubber sole, a lot of practice, and a little self-forgiveness is what I wear for Josh's show.

It's crazy what is most important!

Good luck!

David Spires

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2019 2:11 pm    

99% of my work is playing musicals that require me to don an 'appropriate' costume. As often as not the costume designer decides that western boots are suitable.

I can't play with my heel too high and/or with those unsightly pointed toes. I always show up with my own black dress shoes in which I know I'm comfortable and any arguments are swiftly over. They're usually only too pleased to find a steel player who's prepared to commit to the job so I get my way.

My preference, though, is for playing in socks.
Kevin Fix

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2019 5:35 pm    

I have been playing in socks for almost 40 years now.
Jim Cooley

The 'Ville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2019 5:38 pm    

I dress western all the way down to my ankles when I play. Western boots have never worked for me either. I'm with the play-in-what's-comfortable crowd. I go to the Texas Jamboree (Dallas Show) every year. It's entirely possible I've missed one or two, but I don't recall having seen any of the featured players in the main ballroom or those in the side rooms wearing western boots while they played. I have seen a couple of players who carried an extra pair of shoes and changed into them when they played.