| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Question for pedalboard users:
Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2019 2:11 pm    

Lots of you guys are into pedalboards. Does anybody use two (or more) overdrive pedals on the same board? Or any other effect, such as delay? Or whatever. If so, why?
Brett Lanier

Madison, TN
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2019 4:35 pm    

Yup, i use two reverbs. One before the delay and one after. The biggest reason is for getting heavy reverb sounds without hearing the artifacts that happen from turning one pedal up too much. A bonus is being able to put the verb before or after the delay on the fly. Also sometimes run a reverb into an overdrive for a different type of sound.
Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2019 5:03 pm    

Two dirt pedals (actually, my compressor at the front of the board also can dial in some dirt, so three). My Zendrive OD is such a different flavor than the Big Muff fuzz that there's no redundancy. I use the Muff very sparingly, only on one or two songs in a gig, but there's nothing like it. Otherwise, I get the milder drive from the OD and the light clipping of the comp.
Darvin Willhoite

Roxton, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2019 7:59 pm    

I used to have a Maxon Overdrive, and a PROCO Rat, on the same pedalboard. The coiled cables is where I connected a volume pedal.

MSA Millennium, Legend, and Studio Pro, Reese's restored Universal Direction guitar, a restored MSA Classic SS, several amps, new and old, and a Kemper Powerhead that I am really liking. Also a Zum D10, a Mullen RP, and a restored Rose S10, named the "Blue Bird". Also, I have acquired and restored the plexiglass D10 MSA Classic that was built as a demo in the early '70s. I also have a '74 lacquer P/P, with wood necks, and a showroom condition Sho-Bud Super Pro.
Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2019 8:19 pm    

I use 3 in a way. The chase bliss brothers which is 2 overdrive/fuzz/boost pedals put together and a Sarno Earth Drive. Distortion and overdrive pedals are so distinctive and specialized these days it is impossible to do everything with just one. That is if you are interested in that sort of sonic variation.

Btw: I often use 2 at once and for some musical situations I use all 3.

Last edited by Bob Hoffnar on 12 Dec 2019 6:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Mike Bacciarini

Arizona
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2019 11:49 pm    

I use an Ibanez Tube Screamer Mini. For me, the use and choice of FX is song dependent. My FX rack is like a palette that I have at my disposal, for building the songs our band does.

MCI Arlington S-10 3+5, George L E-66, BJS & Emmons bars, Fender Princeton 65W, Fender Satellite SFX, custom FX rack, 1983 Dobro 60D, SX-8 lap steel, Martin D16GT, Ibanez AS73, 1978 Rickenbacker 4000 custom.
Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2019 1:11 am    

Two OD peds ? sure, why not ? They are not used at the same time and are used for different tones and different songs.

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website
Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2019 8:43 am    

Mike,
It looks like you're heavy into organ effects. Very Happy
Erv
Bob Watson

Champaign, Illinois, U.S.
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2019 12:11 am    

I use a Tone City Bad Horse overdrive pedal ( a clone of the Klon pedal ) for a boost pedal or light overdrive, and a Hotone Skyline Grass pedal for heavier overdrive. The Grass pedal is supposed to sound like a Dumble Overdrive Special amp. I use it when I want a Les Paul through a Marshall style tone and I use the Bad Horse for either a little edgy volume boost or a lighter bluesy tone, with a little breakup. They both sound different but if I had to pick one over the other it would be the Bad Horse. its the only overdrive pedal I've ever used that sounds good when I play 3ds. I usually avoid playing 3ds when using any kind of distortion or overdrive pedal, but they sound good with the Bad Horse. It'll get into a mild distortion type tone when the gain is all the way up too. Both of these pedals are very reasonably priced, but they sound great to me and they get good reviews.
Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2019 1:11 am    

I have 3 or 4 boards set up for different purposes at any given time. One big one with a lot of effects mostly for the surf band, and 2-3 small ones (generally 5 or 6 pedals) set up for other stuff. The big one generally has a tuner, volume pedal, wah, compressor and/or something else for clean gain, Klon KTR, fuzz (I have a few that rotate), vibrato (not tremelo, that's on the amps I use this with), reverb, and delay. The small ones have a tuner, compressor or some other type of clean gain, one or two overdrive or distortion devices, reverb, and delay. One of them has a Keeley Dynatrem, which has both trem and vibrato, as well as a clean gain boost.
Gabriel Edell

Hamilton, Ontario
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2019 6:00 am    

I only use one OD pedal for my steel and I don't have a pedalboard for it yet (my project for 2020 is to build one into a briefcase).

But on my 6-string pedalboard I have two OD pedals - a Fulltone OCD for lower gain stuff and a Wampler Pinnacle for high-gain shredding. I'm running into a fairly clean amp.

But wait, there's more! I also have a Pigtronix Philosopher's Tone compressor that has built-in OD. AND I have a ZVex Super-Hard-On boost (the one on the top right with the American flag on it) that I can use to push the amp into overdriving. So I basically have four OD options. As my wife likes to say "It's not done until it's over-done".

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2019 7:40 am    

Definitely an OD for base sounds and a fuzz for heavier stuff. I also too have one delay before reverb and another after when I want the delay to be less "smeary". One of the reverbs I use has an effects loop and I often run another light OD and delay (for reverse) in that loop. The OD gives the reverb a touch more character for lack of a better term.

I do swap things out occasionally depending on the situation/studio/gig and can easily see two OD's being handy.

Post  Posted 13 Dec 2019 8:38 am    

I've used an earth drive before the VP for years- just got bumped for a jrocket blue note tour- excellent range for pedal steel specifically, great sounds and eq options- highly recommended. Now eathdrive is after the VP- makes the degree of overdrive vp controlled, so VP sustained notes get fuzzy. Both are often on simultaneously. Two delays as well- a memory lane jr for subtle tap-tempo basics, and a tc flashback mini for noticeable effects, because it's programmable and tiny.
To the 'why' question- I think it's fun, two of a similar pedal allows more options,(important for a studio situation), and quicker control than tweaking knobs all night, especially handy if you're playing the same show night after night. However, ultimately it's a question of whether or not it makes sense for the material.
Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2019 9:10 am     Boost-Overdrive-Distortion-Fuzz?

As this excellent article explains, they’re all slangy variations on the theme of crunching your clean audio signal.
https://www.sweetwater.com/insync/boost-overdrive-distortion-fuzz-pedals-whats-the-difference/

Why would you use two at the same time? More variation. I have a clean channel with a switchable drive control on my Mesa Boogie’s single input. I run a Boss OD-1 in front of that input, which gives me four different tonal options, including overdriving an already clipped signal.

If you only have a single channel with no drive control switch, you could do the same thing with multiple pedals, plus you could experiment with the signal chain order.

I have experimented with Edge-type short and long delays. Kinda fun, but somewhat genre-specific. Never thought about stacking reverbs, but it’s an interesting idea.
Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2019 10:35 am    

I have a Tube Works reverb with 12 springs.
You can either use it as a dual channel rig, with 6 springs per channel, or chain link the two sets of springs together for a sound like you've never heard before! Whoa!
Erv
Mike Bacciarini

Arizona
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2019 11:12 am    

Besides using my Tube Screamer for the David Lindley/Jackson Browne stuff, I use a touch of it with the POG (root, -1)for a violin/cello thing.
MCI Arlington S-10 3+5, George L E-66, BJS & Emmons bars, Fender Princeton 65W, Fender Satellite SFX, custom FX rack, 1983 Dobro 60D, SX-8 lap steel, Martin D16GT, Ibanez AS73, 1978 Rickenbacker 4000 custom.
Gordon Hartin

Durham, NC
Post  Posted 24 Dec 2019 4:44 am    

I go Steel to the Bottom row of pedals, to the volume pedal, to the top row of pedals.

Gordon